The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ribosome - Organelle where proteins are synthesised. :smile:
Reply 2
Mitochondria - The site where ATP is produced during respiration. :P
Reply 3
Haven't got your exam but...

Smooth ER - Process & Synthesise Lipids and Steroids.

:cool:

I liked the Steroids part. :p:
Reply 4
Lysosomes- Spherical sacs surrounded by a single membrane
Reply 5
Xerophyte - A plant adapted to live in dry areas as it has evolutionary features that decrease water loss. :wink: (H)
Reply 6
Golgi apparatus recieves proteins from ER and modifies them

xerophyte -a plant that is adapted to reduce water loss so it can survive in dry conditions
Reply 7
Okay, I missed a lesson on potometer's.. Anyone help with thiss?

Eukaryote- an organism having cells with a nucleus and membrane-bound organelles
Chloe.Leg
Okay, I missed a lesson on potometer's.. Anyone help with thiss?

Eukaryote- an organism having cells with a nucleus and membrane-bound organelles

potometers measure the amount of water taken up by a plant, or the mass change in X.....they can b affected by external factors, so mention this if improvement question comes up
oh, my bad...

phloem....transports sucrose up and down the plant...cos its just that cool :P:
potometer measures water uptake (not transpiration)

and you have to know how to set up a potometer

cut root underwater
make sure apparatus is bubble free
set up apparatus underwater
make sure air and water tight
let leaves dry (acclimatise)
record start position of air bubble
and using stopwatch measure distance travelled per minute (mm/m)
Reply 11
Thank you Both (:, Now if that question comes up i'll have an idea how to answer it! Loll,

Cytokinesis- The division of the cell, following nuclear division, to form two new cells
Reply 12
OOOOH I started panicking because I thought you were talking about the edexcel one. PHEW. GOOD LUCK!
Reply 13
Osmosis - the movement of water molecules from an area of high water potential to an area of low water potential

Im so scared for this exam got my last bit of plants to do consdiering just working all the way through the night :/ to make sure everything is cemented in my head

good luck to everyone
electrocardiograph :biggrin:
anyone found the cpg orc specific revision guide enough?
I have!
Movement of water across root:
1. Minerals pass by active transport across cortex lowering wp, setting up wpg.
2. Water passes by osmosis down wpg across cortex via apolast pathway between cells.
3. Casparian strip blocks apoplast, forcing water into symplast pathway.
4. Water moves through endodermal cells into xylem.

Movement of water up plant:
1. Water is forced into xylem by osmosis creating root pressure that forces water upwards.
2. Water molecules joined together by H-bonds. These forces of cohesion cause water molecules to join into column. When H2O is lost by transpiration, tension in column forces it upwards.
3. Water molecules attached to xylem vessels by adhesion.

Transpiration:
1. Water moves by osmosis from xylem to mesophyll cells.
2. Water is evaporated from mesophyll cells, water vapour collects in air spaces.
3. Water vapour diffuses out of stomata.

Entry of sucrose into sieve tube elements:
1. H+ ions actively transported out of companion cells reducing conc in c cells, setting up diffusion gradient.
2. H+ ions diffuse back into companion cells via cotransporter proteins bringing in sucrose.
3. Sucrose moves into STEs by diffusion via plasmodesmata.

I'm bored of plants now...........
Reply 16
kbountra
Movement of water across root:
1. Minerals pass by active transport across cortex lowering wp, setting up wpg.
2. Water passes by osmosis down wpg across cortex via apolast pathway between cells.
3. Casparian strip blocks apoplast, forcing water into symplast pathway.
4. Water moves through endodermal cells into xylem.

Movement of water up plant:
1. Water is forced into xylem by osmosis creating root pressure that forces water upwards.
2. Water molecules joined together by H-bonds. These forces of cohesion cause water molecules to join into column. When H2O is lost by transpiration, tension in column forces it upwards.
3. Water molecules attached to xylem vessels by adhesion.

Transpiration:
1. Water moves by osmosis from xylem to mesophyll cells.
2. Water is evaporated from mesophyll cells, water vapour collects in air spaces.
3. Water vapour diffuses out of stomata.

Entry of sucrose into sieve tube elements:
1. H+ ions actively transported out of companion cells inceasing conc.
2. H+ ions diffuse back into companion cells via cotransporter proteins bringing in sucrose.
3. Sucrose moves into STEs by diffusion via plasmodesmata.

I'm bored of plants now...........

your a life saver this has saved me time on reading a lot of the irellavent info in the book thanks :smile: and yeah plants really are boring i hope theres not much more of them in the next unit they really are annoying
Just done the exam 2day and though it was OK under the circumstances of revision. However, i thought some questions were rather unfair!!!

So what do you guys think? harder/easier or Ok? and was there any questions that caught u out a bit?
erm i found that harder than last years. All that spirometer crap and potomer, what the hell was missing? And that stupid glycoproteins there was like only one thing i could think of that they did. and that 5 mark question above the glycoprotein questiob. I died. :'(
errrmmmm hell yes it was much much harder. I nearly needed to cry when i saw the glycoprotein question. but thank god just wrote 3 points. potometer was quiet hard and stuff....

what did u guys get where we had to chose organelles and write it next to corresponding function. that was hard?

Latest

Trending

Trending