The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
On a Toyota Yaris 1.0L, 02 reg, worth £2200, for my Mum, Dad and me on as named drivers the cheapest i got were £1888.10 from Admiral, Diamond and Elephant (they all come to the same price) and it doesn't go up once i have passed my license.
Is this good? Any advice how i can get it cheaper!!! As in below £1500? I'm struggling at the moment :/
Any insurance companies you recommend, but please none of the Pass Plus or Quotes that only let you drive between say 7am-11pm, thanks :smile:
Quote me!

Need a list of cheap insurance companiessss! HELP :frown:
amydee:)
On a Toyota Yaris 1.0L, 02 reg, worth £2200, for my Mum, Dad and me on as named drivers the cheapest i got were £1888.10 from Admiral, Diamond and Elephant (they all come to the same price) and it doesn't go up once i have passed my license.
Is this good? Any advice how i can get it cheaper!!! As in below £1500? I'm struggling at the moment :/
Any insurance companies you recommend, but please none of the Pass Plus or Quotes that only let you drive between say 7am-11pm, thanks :smile:
Quote me!

Need a list of cheap insurance companiessss! HELP :frown:

Have you tried going for third party insurance rather than fully comp? If you want full comp, try putting voluntary excess of about £250 on?
Reply 202
rushhour72
Have you tried going for third party insurance rather than fully comp? If you want full comp, try putting voluntary excess of about £250 on?

the £1888.10 quote is for 3rd Party, Fire + Theft, not fully comp. Not sure about going just 3rd Party, don't know too much about it?
And ok I am going to try, that quote was with £150 voluntary excess :/
This is starting to annoy me.. :eek3: :p:
Thank you x
Reply 203
amydee:)
the £1888.10 quote is for 3rd Party, Fire + Theft, not fully comp. Not sure about going just 3rd Party, don't know too much about it?
And ok I am going to try, that quote was with £150 voluntary excess :/
This is starting to annoy me.. :eek3: :p:
Thank you x

Put an excess of say £400 or something and your quote will drop. also try fully comp as oddly that can sometimes give lower quotes than 3rd Party F+T.
starex
hello i am turning 18 in januray and thats when i am planning to buy my first car.

i have 1500 to spend on a car

i am looking at Astras 1.4 or 1.6

do you think i would be able to get insurance for 1500 or 1800 as a main driver or second driver ?

what car would you recommend me i dont mind a diesel but no smaller then 1.4 as i travel alot

1500 for a car
1500-1800 insurance

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

If you want an Astra, look at the 2.0D or 1.7CDTI models- they don't cost much more than the petrol equivalent and you'll get better MPG. Neither of these are particularly fast though as they're older diesel engines with little turbocharging. You're looking at 0-60 figures of 14-15s with them, for comparison.

Have a good look over them for corrosion and signs of excessive wear - I've come across a couple that have been clocked. Chances are you'll be going for a high mileage one; make sure the clutch works fine with no knocking and make sure the cambelt has been changed if it's above 90k.
Reply 205
Not sure if this website has been mentioned yet but http://www.beatthatquote.com/ worked quite well for me in comparison to the usual comparison websites; of which all quoted me an average of £4000, cheapest being in the mid 2000s; whereas beat the quote gave me £1300 which was a vast improvement.

However, going direct to Aviva I got a quote for just £846 (fully comp). This was most likely possible largely to their "2 month free" deal for paying annually. Extra info: I'm 19, had my license for less than a month and driving a 1.8 corolla (grp 7)

hope helps some people
Reply 206
NX172
Not sure if this website has been mentioned yet but http://www.beatthatquote.com/ worked quite well for me in comparison to the usual comparison websites; of which all quoted me an average of £4000, cheapest being in the mid 2000s; whereas beat the quote gave me £1300 which was a vast improvement.

However, going direct to Aviva I got a quote for just £846 (fully comp). This was most likely possible largely to their "2 month free" deal for paying annually. Extra info: I'm 19, had my license for less than a month and driving a 1.8 corolla (grp 7)

hope helps some people

How did you get such a low amount?? You mean £846 /year right?
How? :wink:
Reply 207
Suhayb08
How did you get such a low amount?? You mean £846 /year right?
How? :wink:

Adding the mother as main policy holder for the car I want to drive (license held >20 years, NCB > max in drop-down box); stating annual mileage as under 6000 per annum; garaged over-night; eligiblity for NCD; agree to pay higher excess. Which is all the usual, really.

Perhaps it has something to do with the car I am driving, probably seen as reliable or safer.
NX172
Adding the mother as main policy holder for the car I want to drive (license held >20 years, NCB > max in drop-down box); stating annual mileage as under 6000 per annum; garaged over-night; eligiblity for NCD; agree to pay higher excess. Which is all the usual, really.

Perhaps it has something to do with the car I am driving, probably seen as reliable or safer.

Isn't that fronting?
Reply 209
jimcatinnes
Isn't that fronting?

Mother is main driver, not me
Reply 210
Hey guys, i just bought a 1.2 Clio Expression 16v.

Thing is, insurance is a joke as we all know! So i think i may be interested in going with Young Marmalade, just wondering if anyone has used them ? Their quoting me around £1400 which sounds okay i suppose. Just wondering if it's a 5 year contract or something ? Can i use them for a year and then check other prices the year after ?

Thanks.
NX172
Mother is main driver, not me

Yes but is the car registered yours and owned by you? Will you be driving it more than her?
Reply 212
jimcatinnes
Yes but is the car registered yours and owned by you? Will you be driving it more than her?

Car is registered as my mother's entirely. I will only be driving it on weekends to get to work whereas she uses it on weekdays.
NX172
Car is registered as my mother's entirely. I will only be driving it on weekends to get to work whereas she uses it on weekdays.

Oh, okay, the way it sounded was as if you were going to be using it all the time.
Reply 214
I passed my test just a few days ago and been looking for insurance on my 1.1 saxo, all the comparison sites came back with £4200+ and even going direct to companies websites was the same.
However last night i put my dad as a additional driver on Admiral to see what would happen, the quote went from 5065 down to 3900, i then put on my mum and it dropped to 3300, changed it to third party fire and theft and it went to 2800... which is more reasonable. it seems that adding drivers with no claims, no convictions and experience brings it down considerablely. Im now looking around to see what i can find to beat 2800 doing the same thing..
Info .. im 17, car is citreon saxo east coast 1124, i did mileage at under 3000. mum and dad both had licence 15+ years and with no claims or convictions.
Reply 215
Cheap insurance for a ford ka?

Need help!
I've passed my driving license for 2months now.. and I've constantly been on the look out for cheaper car insurance.. The lowest I can get is £4988.68 on 3rd party Fire & Theft for a 2003 Corsa 1.2. That is with both my parents as named drivers. I hate this.. How can I get cheaper insurance? My friends somehow got prices around £1600-£2000 ..why can't i seem to get these quotes?
I did a quote as a 17 y/o who passed their test yesterday, with a citroen c1 living in London (highest risk code -i checked) and managed to get a decent quote of £2200
with 1 add driver (elderly parent)
garage

this was from aviva, all the quotes i've got from them seem fairly reasonable as they have that 20% for new drivers deal
Reply 218
Why is it that when I go to gocompare.com looking for an insurance quote for cars that I am considering the insurance is almost always £3000, even with the Pass Plus? I know of loads of people who have got their insurance for £2000 or cheaper, and the cars I am looking at are mostly in insurance groups 2, 3 or 4, so how can I get the price down (I don't want to use the "fronting" method by the way lol)?
jkmm91
Why is it that when I go to gocompare.com looking for an insurance quote for cars that I am considering the insurance is almost always £3000, even with the Pass Plus? I know of loads of people who have got their insurance for £2000 or cheaper, and the cars I am looking at are mostly in insurance groups 2, 3 or 4, so how can I get the price down (I don't want to use the "fronting" method by the way lol)?

You probably live in a high risk area. And comparison sites actually produce higher quotes most of the time. Try Aviva.

Latest