The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Need to be 21 for Swift. 25 for high performance cars..
Stringer987
Well my car needs to be taken to a garage for new wishbones and that it needs to be done mid week and parents are working so i am wondering if i am able to get like a day insurance for the car, has anyone done this before and if so what are the costs? Thanks!

Just get your parents to give their insurer a ring and add you as a temporary driver and with most companies that wont be a problem. Prices can vary wildly though between insurers depending on admin fees and the like.
Reply 22
I-Kube > All.
Reply 23
MDEH8176
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.

Trust me.

You're right, most of my friends are with them, as am I. They usually come top on comparison websites for 17 year old boys. I'm paying £1200 on a 1.4L quite new car.

Also direct line a really awful if you are young, they were wanting £2700 for the same policy as I have now with swiftcover for less than half the price.
Reply 24
Endsleigh are also a good one. Everytime ive looked at insurance on Ford KA's this one has been cheapest, however the cheapest for comprehensive has been £1800 which is rather annoying, but cheap compared to come of the others :smile:
The_Goose
swiftcover wouldn't quote me coz of my age =(

My insurance is with swift cover.. £380 a year. But I havent passed yet and my dad is the main driver, hopefully I will pass before April when my insurance is up for renewal, but I dont know whether to do it in my own name, because it will cost a fortune (but Im only gonna get 3rd party) but on the other hand it will build up my no claims if I dont crash!
Get a classic car, Insurance on VW beetle when I was 17, fully comp + breakdown/european cover, £750, when I was 18, £425, 19, £325.

Try footman James as they have extended from only classic cars to include modern cars as well, you have to ring up though as the website doesn't do quotes for under 25's
Reply 27
greenfeilds12
Guys would you be able to help me find cheap insurance for my car.
I have passed my driving test about 2 months ago and trying to find cheap insurance. I have heard there are some companies that do it realtively cheap i.e around 1K for a 1.6 l car worth about 2.5k.
If you do have any suggestions or you do have cheap insurance please do contribute as it will be very much appreciated not just by me but by other users as well. Thank you

Quinn direct are relatively cheap, i passed last september, am a named driver on a 2l vauxhall vectra, it's 11 years old n 1500 quid for my dad n 25 year old brother aswell :cool:
Reply 28
I think im with the post office....it was a number from a letter that had the post office logo anyway
it cost £700 for me and my mum, me being covered 3rd party only and my mum fully comp....but for my mum alone it used to be £200 so it only went up £500 with me and i was 17 when i had this done. I dont know how much my dad pays now though, im guessing its less
initiation
Get a classic car, Insurance on VW beetle when I was 17, fully comp + breakdown/european cover, £750, when I was 18, £425, 19, £325.

Try footman James as they have extended from only classic cars to include modern cars as well, you have to ring up though as the website doesn't do quotes for under 25's

gna try!! cheers
Reply 30
Hey,

My dad is calling around for insurance on our new Alfa Romeo Mito, and wants to add me (a young driver).

Got any recommendations?

Will +rep any good recommendations. :smile:
Thanks!
any more suggestions guys????????
Reply 32
Just phone around... young driver on a new turbocharged car will never be cheap though.
Reply 33
FXX
Just phone around... young driver on a new turbocharged car will never be cheap though.

It's not turbocharged.

We just got a good quote... so I'll see if I can beat it in the next hour before they all shut. :smile:
Reply 34
DJkG.1
It's not turbocharged.

We just got a good quote... so I'll see if I can beat it in the next hour before they all shut. :smile:

Oh you went for the low end model. My bad.
Reply 35
When it comes to adding new drivers it becomes even more complicated. Sometimes it's cheaper to add them on at the start of the policy and with others it might be better to add them on a few weeks in. It's pretty much a lottery.
Hey. Quinn Direct gave me a good quote for getting insured on my Dad's car.
Reply 37
Is it worth it for a day? Do you have any reason why you can't use public transport for the day?
Yes, how do i get the car to the garage and back? Im not insured on it atm
Reply 39
In that case most day cover places are say over 21 or 25 years old. There has been threads about it on here before so worth a search

Latest