The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Have a look at Aviva, their quite good, also gives a few nice benefits such as third party extension for the policy holder, which basically lets the policy holder drive any other privately fully comp insured car if the owner gives permission.

Otherwise, keep to the usual, comparison websites, then start going direct to one or another such as direct line, aviva, any that don't do comparison websites. Then ring up, see if the person on the phone can tweak the quote to save you all the possible money you can.

I think when I was looking at quotes for a Mito, its was about £1600 at best with admiral or someone, with £500 excess. (Fully comp, on a newish one).
Reply 41
I don't understand where I'm going wrong in the world of insurance. I'm 17 and I've been looking at buying a car/insurance for a few weeks and cannot seem to get the quotes down from a rediculous level of ~£3000+, it's not as if I'm trying to buy a decent car, am getting quotes on comparison websites for a 1994 1.3 fiesta for £3100 per year! What's going on?
Reply 42
alexlemon2
I don't understand where I'm going wrong in the world of insurance. I'm 17 and I've been looking at buying a car/insurance for a few weeks and cannot seem to get the quotes down from a rediculous level of ~£3000+, it's not as if I'm trying to buy a decent car, am getting quotes on comparison websites for a 1994 1.3 fiesta for £3100 per year! What's going on?

woahh - i drive a 2001 fiesta - not sure how many litre - but my insurance was £700 2 years ago with my mum as main driver - dont think it would have been that much more for me alone - im 19 now and dont know how much my dad pays now - try the post office insurance honestly its good deal :smile:
Reply 43
I got my insure throught comparethemarket.com
(back b4 the meerkat advert LOL)

I'm with Diamond
I found a cheaper deal when I went to re-new so called them up and they didn't only match the price- they gave me a cheaper quote!
Reply 44
and don't worry if loads of companies won't quote you- their idiots lol
we're obviously too good for their rubbish insurance companies :tongue:
Reply 45
Peakey
You're right, most of my friends are with them, as am I. They usually come top on comparison websites for 17 year old boys. I'm paying £1200 on a 1.4L quite new car.

Also direct line a really awful if you are young, they were wanting £2700 for the same policy as I have now with swiftcover for less than half the price.

I'm £1300 with direct line on an 09 plate 1.6 clio - insurance quotes from teh same insurer differ madly depending on lots of things, even if you are the same age. swiftcover quoted me over 5k
Um.. am I missing something here :B

I am trying to find out how much to insure a Nissan Micra 1.0L 2002, 46000 on the clock and I'm getting insurance prices £1000+?

I've tried all the comparisons website, and even the Endsleigh is quoting me £1100+!!! :O

Oh I've checked with pass plus and it's still the same regardless of the price =/

Any help please?
Reply 47
Yea that's about right, if you was male it would be closer to £2000 :wink:
Ducklighter, try Tesco car insurance. i looked there for a quote on my Ka. 1.3l engine and my monthly installments are 77 a month fully comp with free legal cover and stuff. the only downside is that i have an excess of £800 because they give you an 'inexperienced drivers excess' which is rubbish but tbh if its cheaper than that to repair a car then you might as well do it with out the insurance company. :smile: x
*twinkletoes*
Ducklighter, try Tesco car insurance. i looked there for a quote on my Ka. 1.3l engine and my monthly installments are 77 a month fully comp with free legal cover and stuff. the only downside is that i have an excess of £800 because they give you an 'inexperienced drivers excess' which is rubbish but tbh if its cheaper than that to repair a car then you might as well do it with out the insurance company. :smile: x

Tesco costs me lots tooo.

Found a Ford KA for £800 so that's a bit odd but I might go for the Ford KA instead..
If you have a clubcard then you get 15% discount off your overall premium :smile: it is cheaper for me insure it i think because im female =] x
Reply 51
I have been looking at car insurance for like the past month, and they have been around £1700, for a Ford Ka, but now all of a sudden they have gone up to over £2000+. Anyone know why this is? :s-smilie:
Reply 52
Last year I was looking at quotes for Toyota Yaris 1.0 2002 3D, they were like £900 for third party fire and theft (I'm 17 and female), I was just gandering then as I wasn't 17 at the time, however just been looking at insurance now for when I do pass, put in the same car in quinn/directline compare the market etc, 1700!!! and im a girl!, wtf has happened? Ive decided to go for a different car as thats just stupid! ive tried a Seat Arosa 1.0, 2000, thats 1300 directline, the cheapest ive found :frown: really wanted a yaris which i thought would be cheap since its not really a *boy racer* kind of car, but nope, cheapest ive found is 1300 and thats third party, tried ford ka's, seat ibizas, ford fiestas nd best ive got is Seat Arosa at 1300, have I missed something? can anyone give me advice?
Reply 53
Ashlie16
Last year I was looking at quotes for Toyota Yaris 1.0 2002 3D, they were like £900 for third party fire and theft (I'm 17 and female), I was just gandering then as I wasn't 17 at the time, however just been looking at insurance now for when I do pass, put in the same car in quinn/directline compare the market etc, 1700!!! and im a girl!, wtf has happened? Ive decided to go for a different car as thats just stupid! ive tried a Seat Arosa 1.0, 2000, thats 1300 directline, the cheapest ive found :frown: really wanted a yaris which i thought would be cheap since its not really a *boy racer* kind of car, but nope, cheapest ive found is 1300 and thats third party, tried ford ka's, seat ibizas, ford fiestas nd best ive got is Seat Arosa at 1300, have I missed something? can anyone give me advice?

I think insurance companies have noticed that its "females" that are the cause for accidents. Only kidding :smile:

What did you put down? For example, did you move area? if not, it could be that alot of thefts have happened in your area of the pass few months making the insurance go higher for you.

Have you tried putting down another postcode for "where the car will be kept overnight?" perhaps a friends house?
Reply 54
I could get insured on a 1.6 saxo for £2,100 with quinn. Now £3,200 for a 1.2 corsa. Insurance is a joke.
£900 best quote in August, same details 6 months later £1600 best quote.

Your being priced out the market!
MDEH8176
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.

Trust me.

Im a named driver on my 1.1 Clio (2000) with Swift Cover, Provisional, 3rd Party and its £385. They won't cover me as a named driver once I've passed!! Or as my own policy!
All i can say is i cant wait til iv got ncb! haha x
I have a 1.6L fiat stilo 16v active 5 door hatchback (2002)

For my insurance quote, it was around £975 and that's for provisional (just wanted to get a quote to see how much it would cost)
Reply 59
brokenangel27
I have a 1.6L fiat stilo 16v active 5 door hatchback (2002)

For my insurance quote, it was around £975 and that's for provisional (just wanted to get a quote to see how much it would cost)

Goes up a lot when you pass.

Latest