The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is that with co-op young drivers?
yea co-op young drivers
Reply 962
Its currently £2250 to insure my unmodified 51 plate Pug 206 1.1. The cheapest car i've seen for insurance for young drivers is a late 1980's/early 1990's Mini 1.0. With 1 years no claims and in the one of the lowest risk areas of the country (where I live) the cheapest quote I got on confused.com was £717. I then checked it for a girl my age and it went down to just £395.
Original post by M4LLY
Its currently £2250 to insure my unmodified 51 plate Pug 206 1.1. The cheapest car i've seen for insurance for young drivers is a late 1980's/early 1990's Mini 1.0. With 1 years no claims and in the one of the lowest risk areas of the country (where I live) the cheapest quote I got on confused.com was £717. I then checked it for a girl my age and it went down to just £395.

Really though, how many places stock Mini's from the 80s and 90s?

That said, classic Mini's are really nice looking cars :smile:
Reply 964
Original post by Converse Rocker
Really though, how many places stock Mini's from the 80s and 90s?

That said, classic Mini's are really nice looking cars :smile:

Fair point, I did consider buying one but you need to spend at least £2000 to get one that isn't a complete wreck.
Original post by JustAGoodLAD
Well for a start, i know from experience. Anything over a 1.2 for your first car you could be in trouble.
Second, get someone else on as main driver, with you as an additional.
Get a quote with a company that puts a GPS box into the car, which then determines your insurance premium based on your driving. Just need to get that first year out the way first.

BMW hahaha!!

erm that is called breaking the law and he would most likely be screwed if he crashed.
Car insurance for young drivers is pretty disgusting. I live in London, I'm 18, male, park it on the street, so I'm pretty much worst case scenario. Ended up costing £3k to put me as a named driver on my mums 1.6 Astra! Hoping the renewal price will be lower once I have gained some driving experience...
Reply 967
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
yea co-op young drivers

Follow the advice in the Insurance Sticky. The OP has links which gives decent advice on how to lower your insurance costs.
Reply 968
Original post by M4LLY
Fair point, I did consider buying one but you need to spend at least £2000 to get one that isn't a complete wreck.

Hundreds on ebay. 2 grand should get you a nice one.
You'll get a very good 80's model or maybe a 70's clubman for £2k.
Reply 969
is it possible to get car insurance less than £2000 a year if you are 22, am looking forward to buy a car.:smile:
Reply 970
You need to be insured on a much smaller car, I'm currently trying to get insured and a 1.2 engine will cost over 2000 pounds. :s-smilie:

I know it seems unfair, but so long as absolute morons our age continue to write off cars, that's what we have to deal with. Pretty outrageous but that's life unfortunately.

I think they should make driving tests much more rigourous. Maybe if they taught people how to drive at a realistic speed, and how to drive on the motorway the amount of new drivers involved in crashes might fall. I think advanced driver training should be encouraged too.

Black Box insurance is a good idea.
Original post by al_habib
is it possible to get car insurance less than £2000 a year if you are 22, am looking forward to buy a car.:smile:

If you get a pretty small car, then maybe yeah. When I say small, I'm talking probably no bigger than a litre, maybe straying below that. Have a look around :smile:
Reply 972
Hi, i brought this insurance exactly a week ago, but I am waiting for the Smartbox to be fixed. I am driving a Fiat Punto 2003 1.2 8v, I was added as a named driver under my mums name, who only has two years experience and 2 NCD's, and was only quoted £595.00, which compared to other insurance companies is a bargain. Btw, i only passed a month ago, and i am a 17 year old, Male and my Postcode is E Rated. :smile:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bellissima
erm that is called breaking the law and he would most likely be screwed if he crashed.

Not really, because who is able to prove the main driver hasn't been driving the car as much as you said they would, just because the named driver was driving when involved in a collision.
Not really, because who is able to prove the main driver hasn't been driving the car as much as you said they would, just because the named driver was driving when involved in a collision.

they would ask where you were going etc. and where the named driver was etc.

the insurance comps don't care they will use whatever excuse

The insurance company will do whatever it takes to avoid a payout. People do et caught out.
Original post by MissLightyear
The insurance company will do whatever it takes to avoid a payout. People do et caught out.

Most things come with risks, but until you crash, which hopefully doesn't ever happen you need to use whatever you can to get a good annual premium that you can pay off with comfortable monthly payments. Using a main driver with years of driving experience is one way of doing that.

Pros and Cons.
Reply 977
If you get a pretty small car, then maybe yeah. When I say small, I'm talking probably no bigger than a litre, maybe straying below that. Have a look around :smile:

I looked around gumtree, auto trader and some other websites for volkswagen - golf model be it S/T range.I want to spend around £1000 or less, what sort of cars would have no bigger than a litre and what range is it? Thanx for your replay :smile:
Original post by al_habib
I looked around gumtree, auto trader and some other websites for volkswagen - golf model be it S/T range.I want to spend around £1000 or less, what sort of cars would have no bigger than a litre and what range is it? Thanx for your replay :smile:

To be honest mate, I'd very very surprised if you could get insured for under 1000. :redface:

It's stupidly expensive, especially for males.
Reply 979
Original post by kiai8
try elephant insurance :smile: they've been cheap for me and even when I had an accident they were great and really organised (even the courtesy car was a brand new vw polo, 3000 miles :wink: )

Did they ask you to send them a copy of your license?

Latest

Trending

Trending