The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Isit it only me receiving this ridicolous quotations ?
I pasted in the last month and I'm only receiving quotations in the region of 4k for an 03 clio :s-smilie: ?

In what ways have people reduced their premiums?

Does waiting one month make any difference for example?

Should I contact companies direct?

Or any company particulary notorious with offering cheap deals to the younger crown ?

Thanks
Reply 81
Futurdoc
I pasted in the last month and I'm only receiving quotations in the region of 4k for an 03 clio :s-smilie: ?

Or any company particulary notorious with offering cheap deals to the younger crown ?

Thanks

I just did a quote for myself for a 2003 clio, 5000 miles per year I would be doing etc, 1.2, I was quoted £1339 by Churchill. just now out of interest :smile:
Reply 82
Futurdoc

Thanks

What insurance companies are you getting quotes from?
Reply 83
ChrisBan
What insurance companies are you getting quotes from?

Tesco, LV, Churchill, Direct Line, Co - Op...
Reply 84
Tinsley
I just did a quote for myself for a 2003 clio, 5000 miles per year I would be doing etc, 1.2, I was quoted £1339 by Churchill. just now out of interest :smile:

That's decent. I would seriously consider that. Was that with you as a main driver and parents as named, or you by urself?

Also, when did you pass your test ?
Reply 85
Ok this insurance crap is getting silly now...

Group ONE Volkswagen Fox I can't get below £4,000...... FOR THIRD PARTY FIRE & THEFT ONLY! :mad:

Quinn used to quote me £2k but sinec they've stopped quoting I've had to go elsewhere.

Tried Endlseigh, Tesco, Churchill etc, Direct Line won't even quote me......

18 years old, had my liscence 2 months now.

Even going from a group 1 car to a group 10 only increased it by £400..... Oh, and if I want fully comp I'm looking at £5k+!

This is silly, how the hell do people get affordable quotes?!?
neillya1
Ok this insurance crap is getting silly now...

Group ONE Volkswagen Fox I can't get below £4,000...... FOR THIRD PARTY FIRE & THEFT ONLY! :mad:

Quinn used to quote me £2k but sinec they've stopped quoting I've had to go elsewhere.

Tried Endlseigh, Tesco, Churchill etc, Direct Line won't even quote me......

18 years old, had my liscence 2 months now.

Even going from a group 1 car to a group 10 only increased it by £400..... Oh, and if I want fully comp I'm looking at £5k+!

This is silly, how the hell do people get affordable quotes?!?

Try giving i-kube a ring, I was previously getting quoted £6k and got it reduced to £3.5k (10,000 miles on a 1.4l Clio)

It's still ******* ****, but it's the best. It's fully comp too, you just can't drive between 11pm and 5am (otherwise they charge a one time fee of £45 each time, so it'll be cheaper to get a cab!)

Quinn going down sucks, they were my cheapest too.

www.insurethebox.com seems to be coming soon, and looks like it could be cheap. Not sure when they are launching, seems nobody on the net knows either...

Also Google for 'Cover Box', they do pay per drive, and put a gps tracker in your car that calculates your premium based on your driving. It may be like a spy in the car, but if it means cheap insurance....

One last thing, Did you try phoning Churchill and Direct Line? Apparently they may not do over the net, but they may over the phone, it'll still probably be crazy amounts...

It's crazy!
Haven't actually passed my test yet and therefore haven't brought a car. However, I want to take my test soon so my parents are considering adding my name to their insurance/car. Are there any tips I should follow to find cheap(est) insurance?

Forgive me for not knowing anything in this area :rolleyes:
Reply 88
moneyballs2
Try giving i-kube a ring, I was previously getting quoted £6k and got it reduced to £3.5k (10,000 miles on a 1.4l Clio)

It's still ******* ****, but it's the best. It's fully comp too, you just can't drive between 11pm and 5am (otherwise they charge a one time fee of £45 each time, so it'll be cheaper to get a cab!)

Quinn going down sucks, they were my cheapest too.

www.insurethebox.com seems to be coming soon, and looks like it could be cheap. Not sure when they are launching, seems nobody on the net knows either...

Also Google for 'Cover Box', they do pay per drive, and put a gps tracker in your car that calculates your premium based on your driving. It may be like a spy in the car, but if it means cheap insurance....

One last thing, Did you try phoning Churchill and Direct Line? Apparently they may not do over the net, but they may over the phone, it'll still probably be crazy amounts...

It's crazy!

Didn't ring Churchill and Direct line, just used the online quote thingy

That insurethebox.com looks interesting, thanks for the link! :smile:

i-Kube wouldn't work as I'd be using the car a lot between 11-5 for work :frown:

Might wait to see if Quinn come back up :smile: £2k seems cheap now!

It's weird though, 6 months ago I was getting quotes about £2,000 lower (£4k was the highest for a BMW 1 series 116i) :frown:

samanthaaaa
Haven't actually passed my test yet and therefore haven't brought a car. However, I want to take my test soon so my parents are considering adding my name to their insurance/car. Are there any tips I should follow to find cheap(est) insurance?

Forgive me for not knowing anything in this area :rolleyes:

I found NFU (National Farmers Union) were by far the cheapest for us :smile: I think it's £40 a month for me and my mum and dad (on a 1.5l Yaris T-Sport).
For my parents car, my dad's insurance people said once I pass he has to pay £200 extra for me (not as a main driver though). So, if I'm on his policy for like a year, then when I get insurance as myself as the main driver would it go down at all or would the fact that I've been insured uder my dad's one not affect it?
you don't build a no claims bonus as a named driver
Reply 91
hypocriticaljap
you don't build a no claims bonus as a named driver

there are some polices where you can build your no claims being a named driver.

the down side to it is you have to take the policy out in there name but its not all bad:yep:
Reply 92
Insurance has gone up a lot! Last year I paid £420 and 1 year later with 1 years more NCD I'm getting quotes of £500-£600 - wtf :s-smilie: No change in car, no points, no accidents, no change of address etc :frown:
Reply 93
Little tip for everyone - try Tesco for some cheap insurance!

I am getting my 2000 1.6 16v Astra insured in my name (I am 17) fully comp for £1600 a year with pass plus.

Not bad considering the next best fully comp price was £3000!
Reply 94
1992LP
Little tip for everyone - try Tesco for some cheap insurance!

I am getting my 2000 1.6 16v Astra insured in my name (I am 17) fully comp for £1600 a year with pass plus.

Not bad considering the next best fully comp price was £3000!

Nice deal. How did you get the Pass Plus discount, did you ring up ?

I can't find it anywhere on the online forms.
Reply 95
Futurdoc
Nice deal. How did you get the Pass Plus discount, did you ring up ?

I can't find it anywhere on the online forms.

Sorry forgot to mention - I called them.

They give a 20% discount for pass plus :smile:
Reply 96
1992LP
Sorry forgot to mention - I called them.

They give a 20% discount for pass plus :smile:

That's decent. Did you use a multicar discount aswell ?

Btw, are you going to pay the £1600 upfront (as you're not 18 yet) - or have u organised something where they could extract the money monthly from a parent for example?

Thirdly, do you know how 'dangerous ' your area is rated, on the scale of A - F. If you don't, do you live in a city or in the countryside

Finally, are you male or female?

Sorry for all the questions !
Thanks
Reply 97
Futurdoc
That's decent. Did you use a multicar discount aswell ?

Btw, are you going to pay the £1600 upfront (as you're not 18 yet) - or have u organised something where they could extract the money monthly from a parent for example?

Lastly, do you know how 'dangerous ' your area is rated, on the scale of A - F. If you don't, do you live in a city or in the countryside

Thanks

No, my parents are insured through different companies.

Yes I am paying it in one lump sum, they wouldn't let me do a direct debit until I am 18. My Dad gave me the money for it and I am paying him back over the course of the 12 months. Works out at around £135 a month.

I don't know if they would take a direct debit out of my parent's account, you would have to ask them. Works out cheaper if you pay a lump sum anyway. Also it is worth knowing if you write the car off before the 12 months is up, you can cancel the policy and they refund you some of the money.

Couldn't tell you what rating my area has... How would I find out? I live just outside a small city in the Highlands where not much happens, so I assume it would be fairly low risk.

They give you more money off if you do less miles and keep the car in a garage. Also put your parents on the policy, I got an extra £200 off!

I am male, haven't got round to updating my profile yet (am new)!

Glad to help, I feel your pain of high insurance!
Reply 98
Thanks alot for your help - I'll phone them first thing tomorrow!

However, it looks like Quinn are coming back. They've recently starting quoting prices for provisional licence holders, lets hope they start writing for full licence holders soon.

Thanks again.
Reply 99
Futurdoc
That's decent. I would seriously consider that. Was that with you as a main driver and parents as named, or you by urself?

Also, when did you pass your test ?

Eek sorry, I don't know when people quote me it doesn't show up :frown:

Me as main and only driver, my policy etc :smile: Passed 9th March.