The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kabelan1
Hi, i brought this insurance exactly a week ago, but I am waiting for the Smartbox to be fixed. I am driving a Fiat Punto 2003 1.2 8v, I was added as a named driver under my mums name, who only has two years experience and 2 NCD's, and was only quoted £595.00, which compared to other insurance companies is a bargain. Btw, i only passed a month ago, and i am a 17 year old, Male and my Postcode is E Rated. :smile:)

Could I ask what the name of your insurance company is?
Reply 981
Original post by Scarface-Don
Could I ask what the name of your insurance company is?

This was Co-op Young drivers Insurance
Reply 982
Original post by user1111
Did they ask you to send them a copy of your license?

nope. i just bought a new car actually and used elephant - £993 fully comp, £250 excess for a citroen c1
How are people getting quotes at all from the likes of Direct Line? I put my details into their website and they said they couldn't give me a quote! Passed my test in November and 24 years old
Reply 984
Original post by *Interrobang*
How are people getting quotes at all from the likes of Direct Line? I put my details into their website and they said they couldn't give me a quote! Passed my test in November and 24 years old

I dunno why you'd get that but try ringing them up and get a quote that way?
Original post by MHorman
I dunno why you'd get that but try ringing them up and get a quote that way?

Will do :smile: Spent an hour today on the phone to insurers, but they couldn't beat my current quote. I'll do that tomorrow :smile:
get co-op they have special insurance for young drivers, they place a box in your car and see how you drive
here is a link:
http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk/servlet/Satellite/1228203835143,CFSweb/Page/Insurance-Car
Reply 987
i just did coops check and got a quote for £2800?

elephant quote me at £1300 for the same car?
Original post by rogan
i just did coops check and got a quote for £2800?

elephant quote me at £1300 for the same car?

I'm on elephant/admiral, but on a multi car policy.

Try seeing if you can get your parent/siblings car, onto a multi car policy with you. That would bring the overall cost of insuring both cars, to go down.

My car insurance for main driver, on a 1.6L car, full comp etc was like £2100 (just for my car!).

Recently found out that now it has gone down to £1200!

To be honest, Coop are rubbish with insurance. My mate paid like £500 less than me, to get his insurance. His was on a 1.2L engine, the car was older than mine, was named driver, and didn't get any no claims bonus.

Now tell me if paying £500 more is worth it in the long run.

If you can get a quote for you to be main driver, i'd go for it, as your no claims will fall down dramatically.

What specs are your car, that you are trying to insure?
Reply 989
This is for a possible car, im looking at getting my first, 20, 0NCB had my license for 2 years,
Reply 990
Original post by Bellissima
they aren't seriously expecting you to pay 38k.... they put it at that price because they don't WANT to take the risk that you bring... but would be willing to take it if you paid them an extortionate amount of money... like if you were i don't know... p diddys son.

you're going to get a high quote on that car, because it's quite a big engine for a first car and it's more expensive than something like an old nissan micra or something..

i'm a girl so obvs it's a lot cheaper for me but i had a 1 litre petrol car i think it's 12 years old... my first quote was £800.... obviously there are other factors but i think the two main factors are sex and car.... so i would get looking if i were you.

Add age and location. Some insurers refuse to insure people who live in Bradford. Having lived in both Bradford and Manchester (and being a young male) I got used to the thought of never having a car. Since moving to a nicer postcode in Bristol prices like £5k are less likley.
Reply 991
Original post by Ghost
Agreed. Driving a 1.8L car with 5 years NCB - £700.

Want to get her lowered by 35mm? Bump that figure up to £1400. God damn.

I hate that modifications cost so much... Its stupid.
Original post by al_habib
is it possible to get car insurance less than £2000 a year if you are 22, am looking forward to buy a car.:smile:

Yes. I've got a 1994 1.4l Renault 5 insured for a smidge over £600.

But then again I've held my licence for 4 years, and live in a B-rated postcode.
Had a quick look yesterday. Priced up the insurance for a 2003 Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 [as I learnt to drive in a corsa]. As I have only just passed my test and my home address is in Manchester, the cheapest was £3000! The cars I was looking at were only £1500 to buy. Oh well. Getting a car will have to wait a good while; I don't have the money to buy a car now anyway, but that sort of figure is a bit of a blow. :/
My insurance cost me £950 in the end, fully comp :smile:
Is it worth doing a Pass Plus course before getting my insurance and a car? I'm worried I might have left it a while, since I passed my test a couple of months ago and haven't driven since.
Reply 996
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Is it worth doing a Pass Plus course before getting my insurance and a car? I'm worried I might have left it a while, since I passed my test a couple of months ago and haven't driven since.

If you don't want to do pass plus you could just do a couple of lessons to refresh your memory etc? I haven't driven in 4 years since I passed and will probably do lessons and pass plus, the motorway experience and guidance alone would make it worth it even if it doesn't reduce insurance costs in my opinion.
Original post by dhr90
If you don't want to do pass plus you could just do a couple of lessons to refresh your memory etc? I haven't driven in 4 years since I passed and will probably do lessons and pass plus, the motorway experience and guidance alone would make it worth it even if it doesn't reduce insurance costs in my opinion.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I wasn't the best learner driver, so extra lessons on the motorway would be great. I was hoping it would also reduce my insurance somewhat? Anyway, I better get calling my instructor soon about it.
Reply 998
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I wasn't the best learner driver, so extra lessons on the motorway would be great. I was hoping it would also reduce my insurance somewhat? Anyway, I better get calling my instructor soon about it.

I think it could reduce your insurance. Do a quote with and without to have a check! :smile:

Going by what I have read on here it doesn't have as much of an effect on insurance these days though.
How do you lot get your insurance so cheap? (I cbb to read through this whole thread tbh).
I checked how much insurance would be with my dads car and it was over 3 grand! And his car is a piece of **** lol. Insurance companies are thieeves! How are they gonna charge more than double the value of the actual car?
Argh, this process is so long and I'm clueless. And really lazy...They ask so many questions on their stupid forms and I cbb with it and give up because they never end.

Is it better for me to phone insurance companies and get quotes?

Is it worth me getting a **** car so that I can have cheaper insurance...?

And lastly how much should I expect to pay for insurance (as a minimum)?
Im a girl, age 19 and had my license for nearly 10 months. And my postcode/area might be considered dodgy to some.

Please help :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending