The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pony Jack
Uh no it isn't :no: clicky.

Click here for a more exhaustive list (download link below the table)

ahh i meant i put in Vauxhall Corsa club 1.0 which is group 1.

i seriously dont understand how people have got prices of £1500. ive done a couple of price comparison sites and still getting ridiculous prices. i always add named drivers too.

what am i doing wrong?
redfanatic

i seriously dont understand how people have got prices of £1500. ive done a couple of price comparison sites and still getting ridiculous prices. i always add named drivers too.

what am i doing wrong?

What's your post code?
i found it cheaper this year, for the first time, to not add my dad onto my policy. although, some insurers have cottoned onto this and have actually stopped you adding a parent as a named driver, which i think is unfair.

i was also suprised that when i phoned up my existing insurer, diamond, and told them that they could get stuffed with their quote of £792, they first off said 'owh well you're a valued customer, been with us many years so we will be able to match any quote!', and then when i told them that i wanted my renewal at £420 or lower (which is the lowest quote i got) they told me 'yeaaaahhh tough, bye!' jokers.

oh well. £54 a month isn't too bad i suppose.
redfanatic

what am i doing wrong?

I know what you mean it's annoying me how people are getting quotes like this.
I even tried this compare the box website this morning and chose an insurance 1 car which was an 04 plate and put my dad (no convicitions at all) as a named driver and said there was a tracker, alarm and immoboliser and I still got quotes £2900!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean my postcode does start with EN6 which states I live in the London Borough of Enfield whereas I actually live in Hertfordshire (certainly not in London). I need help, serious help as I will be needing a car providing which university I go to and the thought of paying approximately £2800 for insurance is making me feel sick :frown:
A word of advice, don't ignore quotes on comparison sites because you haven't heard of the insurer. I'm with Premium Choice (a broker) paying just under £560 for a S reg 1.6L Astra with 1 year NCB. If I'd picked a 'big-name' brand I would've paid double that.

Tesco also does Tesco Value car insurance which is cheaper (but more basic) that the normal Tesco insurance.

[Edit] The smaller engine cars are apparently (heard it from a dealer, I could be wrong) more expensive to insure as they're cheap to buy and lots of first time drivers get them. It might be worth getting quotes for bigger cars - if you pay £200 more for the car but save £500 on insurance, you win :P
Reply 145
This isn't fair. I've got a car now and I just can't get a good insurance price. I wouldn't care at having to pay £1000, but £2000 is just out of my range.

I live in an average post code area, I'm 17, I've held my licence for 2 weeks, male, I have a 1.2 Fiat Punto and I just cannot get a good quote from anywhere. Best I can get is £3000. My female cousin who is barely older than me can get half the price though, it's just not fair.
Reply 146
Might have to become a named driver. I cant afford these ridiculous prices for insurance :frown:
Teh User
I'm 17, I've held my licence for 2 weeks, male...

There's your problem. I'm 20, male, and had mine for 2 years (not been driving) and I'm only just getting under a £900
Reply 148
Pony Jack
There's your problem. I'm 20, male, and had mine for 2 years (not been driving) and I'm only just getting under a £900

from where? i haven't been driving but want to put my car back on the road in september. will be 20 and held license for 2yr also
uktom91
from where? i haven't been driving but want to put my car back on the road in september. will be 20 and held license for 2yr also

Admiral. I could get a Yaris Ion 1.0 insured for £760. That's in a B-class postcode, 0yrs NCB, 2yrs licence, 20yrs male driver.
Reply 150
Pony Jack
Admiral. I could get a Yaris Ion 1.0 insured for £760. That's in a B-class postcode, 0yrs NCB, 2yrs licence, 20yrs male driver.

omg i love you i just got a quote for £970 the cheapest i've been quoted before that was £1500 :woo: :woo:
Reply 151
One question:

Fully comp.....OR.....Third party fire and theft

Please help me choose one. I could save over £600 if I go for TPFT but is it a risk worth taking? It will be my first car and just wanted to know what everyone else does for their first car - fully comp or TPFT?
Reply 152
Pony Jack

Im 21, had my licence for 2 almost 3 years (not driving) and the cheapest im getting is around £1400 :confused:
GQ.
Im 21, had my licence for 2 almost 3 years (not driving) and the cheapest im getting is around £1400 :confused:

What's your postcode? I'm getting my prices in a B-rating area. If I change my address to my uni diggs (D-rated) it goes up to about that, so I'd reckon your postcode is D or E-rated.
Dhaval10
One question:

Fully comp.....OR.....Third party fire and theft

Please help me choose one. I could save over £600 if I go for TPFT but is it a risk worth taking? It will be my first car and just wanted to know what everyone else does for their first car - fully comp or TPFT?

AFAIK the vast majority of new/young drivers go for TP or TPFT because full comp is just far too expensive. I plan to just go for TP or TPFT; I can't really justify the cost of full comp when I won't have a NCB to protect and I'll be driving a banger of a car! Don't know what else they usually offer but I'm sure I can live without!

Oh, and just a general thing I realised - I was at first just searching for TP because I figured the most basic thing would do me (as I said, super cheap car). But a lot of insurance companies don't offer only TP, so by searching for TPFT, I got a lot more quotes and it actually ended up cheaper.

And Quinn, by far the cheapest for just having a provisional - nowhere near the cheapest once you've passed, beware!

And I know the price goes down with having one older named driver; does it go down even more for two? I've not tried it yet but I have two parents I could take advantage of for this...
Can someone clarify this for me? I've googled to no avail! Let's say I have two named drivers on my insurance policy (it does work out cheaper :wink:) both older with many years no claims on their own separate cars with different insurance companies. If I have an accident in my car, does it affect my named drivers at all? On their own policy, I mean.
Reply 156
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Can someone clarify this for me? I've googled to no avail! Let's say I have two named drivers on my insurance policy (it does work out cheaper :wink:) both older with many years no claims on their own separate cars with different insurance companies. If I have an accident in my car, does it affect my named drivers at all? On their own policy, I mean.

No.
Futurdoc
No.

Thank you :smile:
Hahah you know you're a HIGH risk category when you get quoted £2.8k for a £750 car, but £2.3 for a £4k car :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: hahahaha.
I decided upon Elephant... £180 a month.
I have an 02 1.6 Rover 25 so to be fair i expected to pay more.
And they were the only ones not asking for extortionate deposits. :mad:
However it does go down to £1600 in a year when i go to university which is really weird. :s-smilie:
But hey ho... and the best breakdown cover for the same price as AA!!
Epic (:

Latest

Trending

Trending