The Student Room Group

Cheap Car Insurance: Guide and FAQ

We seem to get endless threads asking about cheap car insurance, so this thread is to cover all the car insurance stuff, where to get cheap deals etc.

The best guide is provided by Money Saving Expert, and can be found by clicking this colourful text.

Any threads that pop up will be merged into this one. Any tips you feel should be added to the sticky, please PM me, and I'll take a look. Thanks :biggrin:

More useful tips on cheaper car insurance can be found HERE

A lot of young drivers find that by going with Black Box companies such as Co-op or "insure the box" they can get decent savings. We still recommend following the guidelined comparisons outlined in the links above but often users on here have found the black box companies to be very cheap.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:

www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's been an increasing number of posts regarding fronting insurance - this is illegal and so to bring about some awareness some info by FXX has been kindly posted up, please take a read - thanks, the TSR Moderation Team.

What is insurance fronting?

Fronting is a form of insurance fraud which involves telling your insurance company that someone else is the main driver of the vehicle, and having yourself down as a named driver, when in fact you are intending to use the car the most. By putting down someone with experience and no claims bonus as the main driver, the cost of insurance goes down as they are seen as lower risk than you (presuming you are a fairly new driver), which you can use to get cheaper premiums.

Because insurance fronting is fraud, it's illegal, but it's difficult to trace before the car is involved in an accident. Police ANPR cameras can only pick up whether a car is being driven without insurance. It doesn't check who is covered on it or the terms of the policy, so people only get caught when it's too late. Don't expect the insurance company to look out for you either. They're a business, and welcome customers they know they won't have to pay out for.

Because of the appeal of cheaper insurance and how easy it is to sign up to fronted policies, many young drivers do it. Of course this doesn't make it right or legal. Coming up next are the reasons why you shouldn't front your insurance.

The problem

Since you're violating the terms of the contract with your insurance company before you've even started, you're already at threat of being caught out in the event of an accident.

If you have an accident and your insurance company refuses to pay out, you can be charged for driving with no insurance. This will mean you and the other people involved in the accident will have to pay for repairs out of your own pockets. It also means 6-8 penalty points for a first offence, which in your first two years of driving will mean losing your license, plus a fine and potentially court costs on top of that.

If you lose your license, you need to re-take your theory test and an extended practical test to get your license back.

When you get insurance later on, you will need to declare the charge for driving with no insurance. This will push your premiums sky high, effectively making it impossible to ever be fully insured. Remember that subsequent charges for driving with no insurance will mean driving bans and, potentially, prison sentences, so it'd be unwise to not tell them about this.

And finally, if you have an accident as a named driver, you lose the main driver's no claims bonus without them ever sitting in the car. Depending on who it is, this may or may not be your greatest worry.

How can I possibly get caught? I'll just lie to the insurance company/police when they ask who the main driver is

Well lying to the police isn't the greatest idea, so let's talk about the insurance company. Unfortunately they don't work like a court room - you aren't innocent until you're proven guilty. If they think something is amiss with your claim, they will hold off paying out until they've done their investigations. Insurance companies aren't daft and they have a lot of money they can use to pay for these investigations, so don't think they'll only be superficial checks. One of their favourite tricks is to knock on neighbours houses to find out who the real main driver is, for example.

Just a few things that might raise alarm bells for your insurance company:

1. If the main driver on the policy has access to another car which they are the main driver on, particularly if it is used for commuting.
2. If you have an accident while the main driver is away from home.
3. If you have an accident when you're in work uniform.
4. If you have an accident with a bag of textbooks (or anything else you'd have for school/college/university).
5. If your car is covered mods and other attachments that a middle-aged person is unlikely to bolt on to their own car (assuming the person fronting is a parent).
6. If you and the main driver live at different addresses.
7. If the car is registered and/or kept at the address of a named driver, and the main driver lives elsewhere.

Let's say you don't get caught

So even after reading this, you take the decision to go ahead and have your parents/a sibling front your insurance for you. A perfect scheme to get cheap insurance, right?

Well not really. Insurance premiums are on the rise. Last year they went up an average of 37%. As long as you are a named driver you will not be building up no claims bonus, so any discount you get after that year will be negligible. This means your premiums will ALWAYS be high as long as you're listed as a named driver, and this means you will never be able to get affordable insurance on nicer, modern cars.

What can I do to get lower premiums legitimately?

Raise your voluntary excess to as much as you can afford. This should also be a good incentive to drive more carefully.

Third party, fire and theft is usually the cheapest option for cover, but as daft as it sounds, it isn't always the case.

Don't overestimate your annual mileage. Obviously you don't want to underestimate either, as this is another factor insurance companies look out for to avoid paying out, but the odd 1000 miles per year can change premiums dramatically.

The first year is the worst. Once you're over it and bag your first years no claims, premiums go down extremely quickly. Driving around uninsured like this only adds to the problem.

I hope for all our sakes that you make the right decision.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well my car needs to be taken to a garage for new wishbones and that it needs to be done mid week and parents are working so i am wondering if i am able to get like a day insurance for the car, has anyone done this before and if so what are the costs? Thanks!
Reply 3
don't do it, it costs a bloody fortune! if you can get thm to come for it under there insurance then do so, all garages have some kind of insurance that allows them to drive your car with your pemission, most small garages will pop round for it if you slip them a tenner or so
Danf05
don't do it, it costs a bloody fortune! if you can get thm to come for it under there insurance then do so, all garages have some kind of insurance that allows them to drive your car with your pemission, most small garages will pop round for it if you slip them a tenner or so

if you go through insurance and get hold of a company called Drive Assist, you're better off going on the bus til its fixed.
Guys would you be able to help me find cheap insurance for my car.
I have passed my driving test about 2 months ago and trying to find cheap insurance. I have heard there are some companies that do it realtively cheap i.e around 1K for a 1.6 l car worth about 2.5k.
If you do have any suggestions or you do have cheap insurance please do contribute as it will be very much appreciated not just by me but by other users as well. Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Admiral/Bell
Adrian Flux (costly mind)

Direct line are **** with claims, don't bother with them.
endsleigh are supposed to be good.
ive passed 7 months ago. insurance is too much so cant do anything. my quotes are ridiculous. 4.5k for a 1.0l micra!!!
2 weeks ago i phoned AA to be a 2nd driver with my sis who has a peageut 206 and they said i have to pay 9k.
apparently im in a high risk category.
like to see what this thread comes up with.
sigh
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Just compare the meerkat - pretty much all the companies are on there. You're individual circumstances are different to other peoples so us suggesting things isn't really going to be of much use. Unless you're wanting the standard "lie to the insurance, tell them it's your parents car and you're not the main driver" then I can't imagine your going to get anything more useful than:

I'm with Quinn but I'm a girl with a 1.4 and only have a provisional licence but it's only 475 for the year
Reply 10

yepp ther all use less!! some people say you hav to call in!! but i dnt know wat companies are good when you call them!! you always tell them you have a good quote and they quote you better!! but thats never happened with me :frown:
The_Goose
Just compare the meerkat - pretty much all the companies are on there. You're individual circumstances are different to other peoples so us suggesting things isn't really going to be of much use. Unless you're wanting the standard "lie to the insurance, tell them it's your parents car and you're not the main driver" then I can't imagine your going to get anything more useful than:

I'm with Quinn but I'm a girl with a 1.4 and only have a provisional licence but it's only 475 for the year

HOWWWW!!!!!
i tried quinn they gave me the cheapest but it was like 1.8K!!!
what car du u drive and are you 1st or 2nd?
my quote was a second driver as well! did you call in or did you go online??
Reply 13
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.

Trust me.
greenfeilds12
HOWWWW!!!!!
i tried quinn they gave me the cheapest but it was like 1.8K!!!
what car du u drive and are you 1st or 2nd?
my quote was a second driver as well! did you call in or did you go online??

Cars in dads name but I pad for it (evans halshaw screwed up) but it's my policy in my name I'm the main driver and I put my parents (accident free) on as named drivers, which made it alot cheaper!

It's a Volkswagen Lupo 1.4S 16V

bear in mind it'll double when i pass my test
The_Goose
Cars in dads name but I pad for it (evans halshaw screwed up) but it's my policy in my name I'm the main driver and I put my parents (accident free) on as named drivers, which made it alot cheaper!

It's a Volkswagen Lupo 1.4S 16V

bear in mind it'll double when i pass my test

still thats amazing!! Its still less than 1k lol!!
let me chek this swiftcover!! see what comes up!
greenfeilds12
still thats amazing!! Its still less than 1k lol!!
let me chek this swiftcover!! see what comes up!

swiftcover wouldn't quote me coz of my age =(
The_Goose
swiftcover wouldn't quote me coz of my age =(

LOL Sorry. Your main driver is too young for us to cover.
i made my self 2 years older as well
MDEH8176
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.
SwiftCover.

Trust me.

how old u mate?
coz i got this from swift
Sorry. Your main driver is too young for us to cover.
mmmm mayb ther good 4 older ppl :dontknow:
greenfeilds12
how old u mate?
coz i got this from swift
Sorry. Your main driver is too young for us to cover.
mmmm mayb ther good 4 older ppl :dontknow:

I'm 19 and they wouldn't quote me

Latest

Trending

Trending