The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology PSY1 Spec A Studies

I have my unit one exam tomorrow on memory and attachment. Just a few things I need advise on. I can't seen to find any studies on anxiety in eye witness testimony. anyone know any? Same for cognitive interviews. Only know little pieces of research. Nothing big.

also you know the long essay questions do you need to be able to talk about the limitations and strengths of studies. the only thing is i don't know any for how age affects eye witness testimony.

and finally are essay questions that have already come up in past papers likely to come up again. what's likely to be the essay question this year?
I don't think you need to have a specific study on anxiety in eyewitness testimony. Just the effects of misleading information (Loftus)
Reply 2
Another Loftus one for anxiety that is good is her 'weapon focus' study. Participants were asked to sit outside rooms where they believed a genuine exchanges were taking place. In one condition, they heard an friendly conversation, followed by a man walking out of a room holding a pen. In the other condition, participants heard a hostile discussion, breaking glass, followed a man emerging covered in blood, holding a knife. Participants in both conditions were given 50 photos and asked to identify the man coming out of the room. People who witnessed the calm event were more accurate at recognising the man than those that witnessed the violent scene. Loftus concluded that the anxiety caused by the weapon forced the witness to pay it attention and not other details, such as the face of the man.
Strengths: it is high in reliability.
Weaknesses: it has little ecological validity as it is a lab experiment.

You only need to include strengths and weaknesses if it says something like 'evaluate'.

Also, it could be anything in the essay question, as they repeat sometimes, but my teachers have been suggesting day care...
Reply 3
Monicaca
Another Loftus one for anxiety that is good is her 'weapon focus' study. Participants were asked to sit outside rooms where they believed a genuine exchanges were taking place. In one condition, they heard an friendly conversation, followed by a man walking out of a room holding a pen. In the other condition, participants heard a hostile discussion, breaking glass, followed a man emerging covered in blood, holding a knife. Participants in both conditions were given 50 photos and asked to identify the man coming out of the room. People who witnessed the calm event were more accurate at recognising the man than those that witnessed the violent scene. Loftus concluded that the anxiety caused by the weapon forced the witness to pay it attention and not other details, such as the face of the man.
Strengths: it is high in reliability.
Weaknesses: it has little ecological validity as it is a lab experiment.

You only need to include strengths and weaknesses if it says something like 'evaluate'.

Also, it could be anything in the essay question, as they repeat sometimes, but my teachers have been suggesting day care...

thanks alot. thanks a easy to remember study. do you know if need to know any big cognitive interview ones. i only know mini ones
Reply 4
No I doubt it. Im impressed you know the mini ones though, I only know how to explain the cognitive interview...might go look in the book at these now, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 5
A study for anxiety in eye witness testimony is an easy one by Clifford & Scott. Two groups were shown videos of the same people. One video featured a violent assault, this groups recall about details about appearance etc, was much worse. You could evaluate this by saying it lacks ecological validity, because of the lack of arousal from the laboratory setting.

You could also talk about the Yerkes-Dodson law of optimum arousal for recall.
Reply 6
contrast to Loftus weapon focus; Christianson interviewed around 110 people who had all witnessed some kind of robbery. People where either more involved in the incident or less involved, But the people who were more involved in what happen, were more accurate, which contradicts what Loftus said.

So to conclude Anxiety; Anxiety can improve accuracy but lab experiments show us that if a weapon is present it can alter someones accuracy..

Hope that made sense (:

Latest

Trending

Trending