Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economics - functions of price

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what rationing incentive and signaling functions of price is? Help appreciated, thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1992)
    they're the 3 functions of price.

rationing means that's how goods are spread out/distributed between people (by people's ability to afford them)

signalling, i think, is where, say if a firm is making supernatural profits, it acts as a signal to others to enter into the market and compete the profits down (that's why under perfect competition supernatural profits only occur in the short-run)

and incentive is obvious... it's people's reason for doing stuff, e.g. you work for a price, not out of the kindness of your heart (ignoring charity workers or whatever)
    Genius - thank you!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1992)
    they're the 3 functions of price.

rationing means that's how goods are spread out/distributed between people (by people's ability to afford them)

signalling, i think, is where, say if a firm is making supernatural profits, it acts as a signal to others to enter into the market and compete the profits down (that's why under perfect competition supernatural profits only occur in the short-run)

and incentive is obvious... it's people's reason for doing stuff, e.g. you work for a price, not out of the kindness of your heart (ignoring charity workers or whatever)

Hey do u know what the price mechanism is? Like the definitionnnn?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to reply without reading other posts to test my own knowledge.

Signalling function is the price signalling for increases or drops in supply for producers.
    Incentive function is , uhm.... For example, consumers like a certain type of fashion due to a change in season (it's winter and consumers want winter hats), this creates an incentive for producers to produce more winter hats???:confused:
    Rationing is producers adjusting prices of products in line with targetted consumers' social class

Edit: Compared it, mostly right, I think.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Incentive function is as price rises firms increase production/new firms enter the market to capitalise on the high prices (which then of course creates excess supply thus lowering the price again, Smiths 'invisible hand' init). This is why the supply curve slopes upward.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    Incentive function is as price rises firms increase production/new firms enter the market to capitalise on the high prices (which then of course creates excess supply thus lowering the price again, Smiths 'invisible hand' init). This is why the supply curve slopes upward.
    I get it now, that's why housing is an 'incentive good'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 13, 2010
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.