The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
dldnqor3172
Can anybody tell be which university is the best among 4 universities
and also the reasons

Have you got offers from all 4 of these unis or is this just an academic question?
Reply 21
It seems a battle between Durham and Nottingham. I would personally go for Durham.
Reply 22
dldnqor3172
Can anybody tell be which university is the best among 4 universities
and also the reasons

Durham, Nottingham and Bristol are all on the same footing, academically, with York lagging behind a little. That said, York has (or had, at least) a very good research unit in Health Economics, if you're interested in that.

But really, the top three are all so close to another it's best for you if you went and visited them.
Reply 23
sorry, for the late reply...
I finally got conditional offers from all 4 universities
Reply 24
dldnqor3172
sorry, for the late reply...
I finally got conditional offers from all 4 universities

Have you visited the unis?
What do you think of them?

Have you got a 5th uni?

What A-levels are you doing and what grades do you expect?
Reply 25
Of those, any.
Reply 26
Paulwhy

Have you got a 5th uni?

-

Well, not yet

and Economics, accounting, Math- all A

I applied Leeds but i did not mentioned i thought Leeds would be the least famous in economics...
Can you tell me how good Economics in Bristol, Durham,Nottingham and York is
Reply 27
Paulwhy

Have you got a 5th uni?

u'know
when i was searching for more information about economics in university of york, i realised that there was another strange degree...
what is BA/BSc? is that BA or BSc?
i am sure economics is BSc in york...
i am just curious...
Reply 28
dldnqor3172
u'know
when i was searching for more information about economics in university of york, i realised that there was another strange degree...
what is BA/BSc? is that BA or BSc?
i am sure economics is BSc in york...
i am just curious...

That just means that York offer both BA and BSc degrees.
Nottingham > the other 3

PURELY because of the SHEER volume of modules on offer, everyone has 3 or 4 A's and the top companies recruit here including a few that only target 10 or so universities in UK like procter and gamble, WPP, mckinsey (though they only target sife students at notts) and a few others
PS Which other uni in uk offers experimental economics, financial economics, public sector, labour, monetary, industrial, international as optional electives in second year???
Reply 30
dldnqor3172
-

Well, not yet

and Economics, accounting, Math- all A

I applied Leeds but i did not mentioned i thought Leeds would be the least famous in economics...

Yes: if Leeds and York are both AAB that would suggest York as an insurance.

dldnqor3172
Can you tell me how good Economics in Bristol, Durham,Nottingham and York is

to iterate it is a very perosnal decision and you need to visit them before deciding: i.e. 3 years is a long time to spend in the place which is wrong for you.

Your first 3 are all good and not much difference in them: all are top 10 rated. Think about how:
i) far they are from your home?
ii) and do you want a campus or city uni?

prospectivEEconomist
Nottingham > the other 3

PURELY because of the SHEER volume of modules on offer, everyone has 3 or 4 A's and the top companies recruit here including a few that only target 10 or so universities in UK like procter and gamble, WPP, mckinsey (though they only target sife students at notts) and a few others
PS Which other uni in uk offers experimental economics, financial economics, public sector, labour, monetary, industrial, international as optional electives in second year???

Good that you have lots of options to chocie from: both in terms of modules and employers. However I think all 3 of the unis that op lists are good both in terms of academic quality of it's studnets and their resulting employability and their is no clear advantage for Notts:
i) for Economics Notts has the lowest starting salaries for graduates: 25.0K c.f. 26.5 at Durham and 27.1K at Bristol.
ii) Notts has intermediate average UCAS tariff points of students: 468 c.f. 457 at Bristol and 491 at Durham.
Paulwhy
Yes: if Leeds and York are both AAB that would suggest York as an insurance.

to iterate it is a very perosnal decision and you need to visit them before deciding: i.e. 3 years is a long time to spend in the place which is wrong for you.

Your first 3 are all good and not much difference in them: all are top 10 rated. Think about how:
i) far they are from your home?
ii) and do you want a campus or city uni?

Good that you have lots of options to chocie from: both in terms of modules and employers. However I think all 3 of the unis that op lists are good both in terms of academic quality of it's studnets and their resulting employability and their is no clear advantage for Notts:
i) for Economics Notts has the lowest starting salaries for graduates: 25.0K c.f. 26.5 at Durham and 27.1K at Bristol.
ii) Notts has intermediate average UCAS tariff points of students: 468 c.f. 457 at Bristol and 491 at Durham.

https://econtop.uvt.nl/rankinglist.php

If you don't want to be taught by some of the best minds in economics then go ahead and pick durham or bristol!
Reply 32
prospectivEEconomist
https://econtop.uvt.nl/rankinglist.php

If you don't want to be taught by some of the best minds in economics then go ahead and pick durham or bristol!

As the OP is looking at undergraduate, I don't think research rankings are as relevant as the points you raised before (job oppurtunties post uni and the quality of your peers). And none of them is as important as finding a uni where the OP fits in well.
Paulwhy
As the OP is looking at undergraduate, I don't think research rankings are as relevant as the points you raised before (job oppurtunties post uni and the quality of your peers). And none of them is as important as finding a uni where the OP fits in well.

How is the quality of peers more important than the intellect of your lecturers?
Reply 34
prospectivEEconomist
How is the quality of peers more important than the intellect of your lecturers?

Because all lecturers will be more intelligent than their students. Additionally, no lecturer will be able to challenge a student to the point of their own intellect or massively beyond that of the course. (I.e.: If you're on an introductory to macroeconomics course, your lecturer won't be able to stretch you to an advanced macroeconomics level, even if you're capable and willing, he'll follow the course syllabus, end of.)
Reply 35
.ACS.
Because all lecturers will be more intelligent than their students. Additionally, no lecturer will be able to challenge a student to the point of their own intellect or massively beyond that of the course. (I.e.: If you're on an introductory to macroeconomics course, your lecturer won't be able to stretch you to an advanced macroeconomics level, even if you're capable and willing, he'll follow the course syllabus, end of.)

exactly. And:
i)you learn more from other students than you do in lectures.
ii)quality other students motivate you.
Reply 36
prospectivEEconomist

so essentially you're saying: essex > bristol, durham, bath, edinburgh etc. :rolleyes:
Paulwhy
exactly. And:
i)you learn more from other students than you do in lectures.
ii)quality other students motivate you.

I work independently and I know a hell of a lot of other students who work by themselves as well, so how will being in a class full of clever people motivate me? Your argument fails unfortunately.
pow!
so essentially you're saying: essex > bristol, durham, bath, edinburgh etc. :rolleyes:

No because the OP is comparing universities which are very similar. How is essex similar to those uni's in entry req, job prospects and so on? :rolleyes:

PS Wow you are at school, surely you must know a lot about universities. Please enlighten me with the **** all knowledge you know :smile:.
.ACS.

I don't know about first year courses but our second year microeconomic theory course was completely different from the average microeconomic theory course since the lecturer wrote the course himself because none of the textbooks cover the latest concepts and so forth. Can you please tell me how it will benefit me if I sit next to 10 clever people on a row in a lecture?

Latest

Trending

Trending