The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Generally I think they're all fairly evenly matched, albeit with Durham, Notts and Bristol probably being above York. So, you should probably decide on where you'd prefer to be for 3 years to choose rather than worry about going to the 'best'.
Reply 2
I thought York was the "most prestigious out of them? Don't know about economics though..
Reply 3
kevin_123
I thought York was the "most prestigious out of them? Don't know about economics though..

Madness!

Nottingham>Bristol>Durham>> York.
They're all quite evenly matched, but I'd say the best is probably Durham.
Reply 5
kevin_123

durham is probably most prestigious,
followed on par by notts and bristol
then york,

check PaulWhy's TAELT 2010 sticky on the economics forum
Reply 6
kevin_123

Nah durham and bristol are more prestigious than york. I'd say Bristol, Durham, Notts then York for economics. Bristol is first largely because I have noticed more firms visit there.
hamzab
Madness!

Eh what?

I'd say there really isn't a great amount between them, but i'd rank them as such:

Durham>Bristol/Nottingham>York
Reply 8
yeah def

durham>bristol/notts>>york

just purely in terms of economics though
Reply 9
Why do peeps keep saying Durham over Bristol? I am at Durham and I have noticed that Bristol has stronger industry links due to location. So if you're chasing a prestigious IB job I would say Bristol gives you the best chance.
Reply 10
hamzab
Madness!

Why did you drop Maths at AS? You can re-apply whilst at university but that means you will have to pay for 4 years of uni.
Reply 11
mindy123
Why did you drop Maths at AS? You can re-apply whilst at university but that means you will have to pay for 4 years of uni.

Was a stupid decision, should have sat the exam, I just done C1, was enjoyale. means I may have to spend a gap year now.

Don't paying for an extra year if it allows me to move from a top 15 Uni to a top 6 one lol.

Are you studying Economics at Durham?
Reply 12
hamzab
Was a stupid decision, should have sat the exam, I just done C1, was enjoyale. means I may have to spend a gap year now.

Don't paying for an extra year if it allows me to move from a top 15 Uni to a top 6 one lol.

Are you studying Economics at Durham?

No, but one of my mates does and we are both considering IB, him more than me. How would you finish off A2 maths though if you had started uni? I suggest that if you get AAA/AAB then just take a gap year and re-sit and re-apply. It is a lot of hassle to go through UCAS again while at uni and then if you drop out there to go to a top 6 uni your student finance will be a bit of a mess. Also if you got an offer from Birmingham and Lboro this time then it is very likely they will give you an offer again so I wouldn't worry about getting no offers.
Reply 13
mindy123
No, but one of my mates does and we are both considering IB, him more than me. How would you finish off A2 maths though if you had started uni? I suggest that if you get AAA/AAB then just take a gap year and re-sit and re-apply. It is a lot of hassle to go through UCAS again while at uni and then if you drop out there to go to a top 6 uni your student finance will be a bit of a mess. Also if you got an offer from Birmingham and Lboro this time then it is very likely they will give you an offer again so I wouldn't worry about getting no offers.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was just reading that Unis for medicine didn't often give out offers again if an applicant reapplied to get into somewhere else, I think it was a case of going from Queen Mary to Kings or something.

I would just do the Maths Units whilst at Uni, wouldnt really be too much of a hassle, I find Maths kind of fun and enjoyable lol, was just a prat last year and dropped it in November so I didn't get a U and then have to resit and be considered a retake candidate if I took it again in my A2 year which is what Im doing now.

I'm thinking of a gap year, have applied to quite a few schemes such as Prime Ministers Global Fellowship, NAGTY Warwick Summer school etc, then I may just take A2 maths then for the first time.

What uni are you at if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 14
I am at Durham, I don't do Economics though. Well you seem to have things figured out, if you think you can do the maths units whilst at uni then go for it. I think it may be slightly harder than you think though. I am re-taking a couple of modules whilst at uni to boost my grades a bit and it means that I have been revising all christmas whilst doing assignments and I have to travel to and from my uni and home to sit my exams at my old college.
It may be worth bearing this in mind when considering York
:p:
Reply 16
hamzab
Thanks for clearing that up, I was just reading that Unis for medicine didn't often give out offers again if an applicant reapplied to get into somewhere else, I think it was a case of going from Queen Mary to Kings or something.

I would just do the Maths Units whilst at Uni, wouldnt really be too much of a hassle, I find Maths kind of fun and enjoyable lol, was just a prat last year and dropped it in November so I didn't get a U and then have to resit and be considered a retake candidate if I took it again in my A2 year which is what Im doing now.

I'm thinking of a gap year, have applied to quite a few schemes such as Prime Ministers Global Fellowship, NAGTY Warwick Summer school etc, then I may just take A2 maths then for the first time.

What uni are you at if you dont mind me asking?

I forgot to quote you in my reply above.
Reply 17
For Economics specifically? Bristol > Durham > Nottingham > York.
Overall? Bristol/Durham > Nottingham > York.
dldnqor3172
Can anybody tell be which university is the best among 4 universities
and also the reasons

Well I would choose Durham, it has a better reputation and will help you when applying to your first job. Although the location isnt great, Bristol is the best for nightlife.

Depends what you want; good academic reputation or good nightlife...:yep:
in terms of reputations there all fairly equal, in terms of economics Notts=bristol=Durham>>york

Latest

Trending

Trending