The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gone through analysis of qualitative data purely for use in the design a study question, I've not gone into any detail on using grounded theories or discourse analysis' and I doubt i'll bother as it seems a bit beyond what were likely to be asked.
Reply 41
Tomtomtom910
Gone through analysis of qualitative data purely for use in the design a study question, I've not gone into any detail on using grounded theories or discourse analysis' and I doubt i'll bother as it seems a bit beyond what were likely to be asked.

hmm ok, can you tell me what you mean by use in the design of a study question? do you just mean why you could use it? :3
Within the research methods section there will always be a question asking you to design a study, if it asked you to design a study involving the collection qualitative data you would have to say how you would analyse the data ie a graph, results table and statistical test (if applicable). If your study involved an interview which produced qualitative data you would use a thematic analysis in place of a statistical test... or so we've been taught
Reply 43
Tomtomtom910
Within the research methods section there will always be a question asking you to design a study, if it asked you to design a study involving the collection qualitative data you would have to say how you would analyse the data ie a graph, results table and statistical test (if applicable). If your study involved an interview which produced qualitative data you would use a thematic analysis in place of a statistical test... or so we've been taught

do you mean quantative date: statistical test
qualatative data: thematic analysis? XD
i suck terribly at designing a study. will probably be the one thing that lets me down in the exam..my knowledge and evaluation is excellent, but applying stuff for me is tricky
Reply 44
guys ready for tomorow. lol what topics are you studying anyone doing addiction, ocd and research methods
Lasuil
do you mean quantative date: statistical test
qualatative data: thematic analysis? XD
i suck terribly at designing a study. will probably be the one thing that lets me down in the exam..my knowledge and evaluation is excellent, but applying stuff for me is tricky

pretty much, just remember to operationalise and justify as much as possible, we've also been told to keep it simple and straight forward if that helps
How's everyone feeling about the exam? Worried about my ability to regurgitate research/studies, eeek. :s
Reply 47
Retrospect
How's everyone feeling about the exam? Worried about my ability to regurgitate research/studies, eeek. :s

yeah i always find that hard ^^ trying to memorize some now. I can't decide if I want really specific questions i.e explain and outline one psychological therapy for depression or more general i.e explain the biological model of addiction =/

Good luck everyone! try not to give the exam a postmortem after, that will make you feel worse!
Reply 48
Good luck everyone :smile: x
Reply 49
this was one hard paper. the reasearch methods was nasty in some bits , how did the rest find it and what areas of topics did you guys do
Reply 50
did better than i thought but i thought i was gonna get 0 sooo.... lol
i did schizophrenia and addiction and research methods. what did you do? also what statistical test did you think had been used...no one at our school agreed which one it was!
Reply 51
EmmieK
did better than i thought but i thought i was gonna get 0 sooo.... lol
i did schizophrenia and addiction and research methods. what did you do? also what statistical test did you think had been used...no one at our school agreed which one it was!

it was mann whittney test as the groups where independent and also it was a test of difference. we all wrote that and it was only 5 of us taking it . i did addiction and ocd and research method. addiction was on gambling which has v.limited stuff
Reply 52
ahh good! thats what i put :smile: yeah...if it was on smoking there is more you can put i think but gambling, theres nothing basically to put!
Reply 53
OMG stupid questions got mixed up - Trust AQA :mad: :mad: - ah well I done Depression and Media and they were really quite good! Research methods were a bit rough although I liked the consent thing we had to write. I'm generally happy - Good ol' AQA - its not as if they aint been in the news lately lol
Reply 54
Depression was f***ing great. really good. addiction was hard. but ok.
and research methods could have been worse. it was mann whitney, most people ive spoken to put mann whitney but my friend thought it was a trick and put chi square. never mind!
Reply 55
naah i think Mann Whitney, i think i can see why your friend put chi sqaured though, it's making me wonder if it is!
yeah i didnt particularly love the paper, but it could have been worse. but like someone said, gambling addiction was hard as there is limited info on it, and i thought it was quite hard to get 10 marks for it. but oh welllll
when a question says 'discuss' does that mean you have to outline and evaluate?
Reply 57
yeaaah outline and evaluate :smile:
Reply 58
no point in worrying about it now though :smile: up and onwards!
What topics are you guys doing for PSY3? We're doing biorhythms, relationships and agression. Should be interesting!
Anyone know what day we get our results back yet?
March 11th