The Student Room Group

Have any of you had an IB teacher leave at the end of the first year?

Ok. So basically I'm doing the IB diploma, in year one right now. BUT, I found out that my chem HL teacher (and the only good EE supervisor for chemistry), and possibly my english A1 SL and ToK teacher are leaving at the end of this school year. They are all very experienced in IB and some of my best teachers in my IB. Is my IB life screwed? What are the things I can do in this situation?

Thank you everyone for your help.
Reply 1
A few of our IB teachers left after year one - including our Psychology teacher, who was a fantastic teacher. Luckily, we've had another good IB teacher join us to replace her. There's a chance your school may also make similar appointments.

I wouldn't worry so much about TOK, you'll likely be done/almost done by the end of Year 1.

I'd suggest talking to your chemistry teacher about it, and make sure you know what you need to do after he/she leaves (just incase you need to study independently).
Reply 2
You have a TOK teacher? ...
Reply 3
TKM96
You have a TOK teacher? ...

Most schools do. Well, usually it's either a philosophy teacher or alternative some other teacher who has nothing better to do, school sends them on a training course and gives them a textbook and see how it all turns out.

Warning: Potentially cynical remarks in this post.
Reply 4
Thingeh
some other teacher who has nothing better to do, school sends them on a training course and gives them a textbook and see how it all turns out.

Ah, now i'm understanding things :wink:
Reply 5
My school's not very good at keeping its teachers. :rolleyes: I can't think of a single person from my school who HASN'T had one of their IB teachers leave halfway through the course.

I've noticed that the people who do extremely well at IB (38+) tend to be the ones who are very self-motivated, i.e. even if one or more of their teachers left, they'd pull themselves together and do the additional reading/work to get the grade they should be achieving. Of course this isn't always possible (in one year I think there were FIVE different teachers for history), but a lot of how well you do at IB is to do with how much work and effort you put in.
Reply 6
yep i agree with schnargle there...it really depends on how self motivated you are, they are just there to help you but in general the IB has a very clear syllabus that ou could almost do on your own...also the IB is the same in every school, so its not like they have to adapt to a complete new system.

I had 4 teachers leaving at the end of the first year and another one this christmas...some of the new once are really good so hope yours are too
Reply 7
Thank you all, you all made me feel so much better. I will work hard and not make this affect too much of my schoolwork! :biggrin:

Thanks!
you should be fine, when i done my IGCSE's a few of my teachers left after the first year, and these also taught IB at my school, and my friends in IB were scared but our new teachers were fantastic, i loved my new history teacher and before i wouldnt have passed, but because i had himk i enjoyed going more and passed (:
It's true, you have to motivate yourself, IB isn't about holding you by the hand and telling you word for word what to do.
Are you planning to do your EE in chemistry?
My English A1 teacher left after the first year (I'm in IB2), we were lucky to get a better teacher in his place... Of course it could work out badly too, but there's nothing to do but hope for the best.

And I didn't know some schools didn't have a teacher for TOK!
Reply 10
You don't have to be in IB to know that your own determination is what leads you to success, not teachers.
Reply 11
My chem HL teacher went on maternity leave three months in and we were stuck with a non-IB substitute teacher for about a month (he did know chemistry, luckily, but not the IB syllabus specifically).

To succeed even when the teachers are changing, definitely get a copy of the course guide and the Study Guide by Geoffrey Neuss. Also, search chemguy on youtube and use his Senior Chem and AP Chem videos. He's great.
My maths teacher left halfway through the course he was a really good teacher and my class really liked him. Most of the problems arising from the new teacher has been my class not respecting her. he was also my tok teacher, so now we've got out IB coordinator teaching us, which is great because he actually knows tok. Plus whilst I used to be kind of scared of him, I'm not any more, which is useful.

I'm sure things will turn out fine for you as well, most schools try and find teachers that have already taught IB especially if they are taking over halfway through IB.
Reply 13
PhoebeZeitgeist
It's true, you have to motivate yourself, IB isn't about holding you by the hand and telling you word for word what to do.
Are you planning to do your EE in chemistry?
My English A1 teacher left after the first year (I'm in IB2), we were lucky to get a better teacher in his place... Of course it could work out badly too, but there's nothing to do but hope for the best.

And I didn't know some schools didn't have a teacher for TOK!

Hi,

I was originally planning to do my EE in chemistry, but given the circumstances, I guess I'd have to make do with bio :frown: I'm just a little worried because my bio teacher has only supervised ONE extended essay... And the person got a D.
Actually, now that we mentioned it, what would you guys recommend, getting a IB Physics teacher to supervise me for Chemistry (he wrote the IB physics textbook and knows a little Chemistry), or this Biology teacher, or another random teacher whom I don't personally know yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending