The Student Room Group

What uni should I firm? Bristol or Southampton

Ok, so far I have two offers:
Southampton - AAB - Economics
Bristol - AAA - Economics & Accounting

I have also applied to LSE(accounting&finance) and Sheffield(which I will use as my backup), but these are pending.

Does anyone know anything about the Bristol course as I applied for straight Economics but was rejected and offered this instead.

Also, I really want to study in London eventually so from which one out of Bristol and Southampton am I more likely to be accepted for a masters course in UCL or LSE.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated and I am also keen to hear about Sheffield for straight Economics as if it's not an ABB offer then it won't be my backup.

Thanks in advance everyone

Scroll to see replies

It doesnt really matter which one you go, youll have the same chance of getting into UCL and LSE. Whats more important is you get a First and take as many econometric modules as you can, from talking to current Msc Economics students at LSE and Cambridge it seems that the more econometrics you do the easier it will and those you did little find it very very tough.

Take a look at this thread if your thinking of going to Bristol and changing course.

If you got rejected for Bristol id say your probably not going to get a straight LSE economics offer so firm Bristol and insurance Southampton, forget Sheffield (unless for some reason you favour them over the other 2)
Reply 2
yoyo462001
It doesnt really matter which one you go, youll have the same chance of getting into UCL and LSE. Whats more important is you get a First and take as many econometric modules as you can, from talking to current Msc Economics students at LSE and Cambridge it seems that the more econometrics you do the easier it will and those you did little find it very very tough.

Take a look at this thread if your thinking of going to Bristol and changing course.

If you got rejected for Bristol id say your probably not going to get a straight LSE economics offer so firm Bristol and insurance Southampton, forget Sheffield (unless for some reason you favour them over the other 2)

Thanks, and I haven't heard that before about Econometrics so thats some decent advice and is appreciated.
Forgot to put in the post that I applied to LSE Accounting and Finance, and yes as you said I would stand no chance with straight Economics and very little with acc&fin too.
Why don't you wait and see what other offers you get before you decide upon something?
Reply 4
wembley

I have also applied to LSE(accounting&finance) and Sheffield(which I will use as my backup), but these are pending.

Does anyone know anything about the Bristol course as I applied for straight Economics but was rejected and offered this instead.

Also, I really want to study in London eventually so from which one out of Bristol and Southampton am I more likely to be accepted for a masters course in UCL or LSE.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated and I am also keen to hear about Sheffield for straight Economics as if it's not an ABB offer then it won't be my backup.

How do you feel about studying accountancy?
Reply 5
You should firm Bristol without question. Don't even hesitate.

Also, there'll be a high chance you can change from Economics and Accounting to straight Economics in the second year. At Bristol in the first year there are only four economics units, the rest are outside units, and the Economics and Accounting course is basically the same as straight Economics with your optional units being pre-selected as accounting units.

Then I guess have Southampton as your insurance choice since it's far better than Sheffield and it seems unlikely you'll get an offer from LSE.
Reply 6
Thanks guys for all your help, if I don't succeed in switching to straight Economics will the Econometrics units still be open to me?
And is it a lot harder to get into a London uni (UCL or LSE) to do an Msc Economics, when I have Bsc Economics & Accounting, or does Bristols reputation outweigh Southamptons enough for London uni's to prefer this over straight economics at Southampton.
Reply 7
.ACS.

Also, there'll be a high chance you can change from Economics and Accounting to straight Economics in the second year. At Bristol in the first year there are only four economics units, the rest are outside units, and the Economics and Accounting course is basically the same as straight Economics with your optional units being pre-selected as accounting units.

Then I guess have Southampton as your insurance choice since it's far better than Sheffield and it seems unlikely you'll get an offer from LSE.

Thanks, and yeh I think I'll enjoy accounting but eventually plan to work in a bank so not sure if this would hinde my chances as I think it's seen as a lesser course than eco
Reply 8
.ACS.

Why exactly? I am genuinely intrigued by your lack of enthusiam about Southampton, which to me seem like academic powerhouse.
Reply 9
achard
Why exactly? I am genuinely intrigued by your lack of enthusiam about Southampton, which to me seem like academic powerhouse.

What makes you think that Southampton is an academic powerhouse?
Reply 10
Paulwhy
What makes you think that Southampton is an academic powerhouse?

OK I don't usually entertain people picking silly fights like this, but in saying Southampton is an 'academic powerhouse' I don't mean it is the best university in the land, but rather like many in the Russell Group, there is a high volume of very high quality research coming out of Southampton and that they are strong academically across the board, certainly in the 'major' subject areas (maths, economics, history, the sciences and engineering etc).

That they are some of the world's best in oceanography, photonics, optoelectronics and web sciences helped my impression that it's a genuine heavyweight. For me, it is sort of like Manchester, not terribly hard to get in but a very seriously sound academic institution and without the pretension that would please rabid prestige whores.

Make of that what you will.
Reply 11
wembley

Well I would not count your chickens until you get a sheffield offer, as sheffield have started rejecting people for economics:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1152421

wembley

What are your AS-levels and actual grades?
What are your A-levels and predicted grades?
What do you think the probabilties are of you getting at A-level:
i)AAA?
ii)AAB?
iii) ABB?
iv) less than ABB?
Reply 12
Paulwhy
Well I would not count your chickens until you get a sheffield offer, as sheffield have started rejecting people for economics:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1152421

Funny you should post that I got rejected from Sheffield on the 14th but prefer Southampton anyway and the grades are the same so not too bothered tbh.

What are your AS-levels and actual grades?
What are your A-levels and predicted grades?
What do you think the probabilties are of you getting at A-level:
i)AAA?
ii)AAB?
iii) ABB?
iv) less than ABB?

AS Levels: Maths, Economics, Geography, History, General Studies(compulsory)
Grades: B, B, B, C, A respectively.

Predicted grades in Maths, Geography, Economics: A,A,A

I've done loads of work experience and have a pretty decent statement and reference.
Reply 13

I would hope to get AAA or AAB any lower and I'm prepared to re-sit the year.

I've done loads of work experience and have a pretty decent statement and reference.

And yes Sheffield rejected me on Thursday but not bothered tbh as same entry req. as Southampton and I prefer the later anyway
Reply 14
wembley

I would hope to get AAA or AAB any lower and I'm prepared to re-sit the year.

And yes Sheffield rejected me on Thursday but not bothered tbh as same entry req. as Southampton and I prefer the later anyway

Does not sound like a major disaster for you as even with a Sheffield offer, having Bristol as Firm and Southampton as Insurance makes more sense.
Can you update your Sheffield rejection into the Sheffiefd Economics rejection thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23243354?
Reply 15
yes I agree Paulwhy what do you think my chances of LSE are nil? lol

Updated rejection onto that thread so you can see my GCSE's if you need that to confirm the probability of an offer being nil.
Reply 16
wembley
yes I agree Paulwhy what do you think my chances of LSE are nil? lol

Pretty much yes

wembley
Updated rejection onto that thread so you can see my GCSE's if you need that to confirm the probability of an offer being nil.
Reply 17
If I waited a year and applied to LSE(acc&fin) and Bath(straight eco) with AAA and even more work experience do you think I would be in a better position than I am in now or not
Reply 18
wembley
If I waited a year and applied to LSE(acc&fin) and Bath (straight eco) with AAA and even more work experience do you think I would be in a better position than I am in now or not

To be pendatic AAA actual has to be better than AAA predicted. But delaying is not a course of action I would recommend:
i) still would have very moderate GSCE and AS grades. (IS your school bad?)
ii) Work Experience not particularly relevant.
iii) Applying to both A+F and Econ course at top unis is still a bad idea as it makes a mess of your PS.
iv) Next year a load of new applicants will be on the market so it will not get any easier.
v) Bath and LSE have their choice of people so I don't know why they would pick an applicant with 2 years of moderate exam marks (GCSE and AS) even if there was 1 good year (A2).
Reply 19
well I don't know what determines if a school is bad or not but i think my school average 240 ucas points.
So would you say I have been lucky to get Southampton and Bristol this year and may be unlikely to get them both next?

Latest

Trending

Trending