The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mariashafira
Hey,
Why is a place at Cambrisge so highly sought after?
What is so special about it?
Does anyone think its over-rated?
Please tell me what you think
xxxxx

It's a good uni, in a nice place.
It's considered a very good uni.
Maybe sometimes, but comparing work at different places, I don't generally think so.
It is a very respected institution in terms of academics etc... The courses are very academically challenging and the curriculum is supposedly second to none. To that end I guess it is highly sought after. That combined with the world class choral music etc at Cambridge makes it quite special.

However, I do think it is overrated as, especially for Medicine and other science based courses, there are other excellent universities which deliver just as good an academic experience. It is all about those people who base their research on reputation alone which is not the most important factor.

... and I'm not biased just because I got rejected :smile:
Because elitists need a place they can hide away from us "normal folk" lol
What is this Cambrisge you speak of?

:colone:
ArchangelMedic
It is a very respected institution in terms of academics etc... The courses are very academically challenging and the curriculum is supposedly second to none. To that end I guess it is highly sought after. That combined with the world class choral music etc at Cambridge makes it quite special.

However, I do think it is overrated as, especially for Medicine and other science based courses, there are other excellent universities which deliver just as good an academic experience. It is all about those people who base their research on reputation alone which is not the most important factor.

... and I'm not biased just because I got rejected :smile:

why did the reject you? your grades are amazing? (i know its not al grades but still)
I'd assume it's because it's so hard to get into, they have high standards and only accept certain people who fit the criteria, people who they know are going to get good grades from there.
Reply 7
Oxford and Cambridge are considered prestigious for a number of reasons.

Tutor attention is the one most often cited by academic staff. Having one on one or two on one tutorials with people who are legends in their field is a relatively amazing experience.

The college system is quite unique. Oxbridge have the money and prestige to draw in top lecturers. Oxbridge has a reputation that money couldn't buy. Etc. Not to mention how that specific degree holds weight anywhere in the world.
Reply 8
The only way for you to get a satisfactory answer to your question is to come to Cambridge and find out. I think the answer you would find is "no, it is not over rated", at least I don't think it is, and I've spent 3 years at one of the countries other top ten universities (which were probably 3 of the best years of my life), so I have something to compare it with.
Supervision system
Research quality
Academic reputation
Ability to attract the best staff
College wealth ensures fantastic facilities
If you consider the tradition, history and quality of graduates, its easy to see why Cambridge is very special. Personally, I would have found it rather humbling to study at the same University that the likes of Newton went to.
Beautiful surroundings
Top quality teachings
Collegiate system
Supervision/Tutorial system
Vast range of intellectual extra curriculars
Amazing prestige
Best resources
Fantastic architecture
Very traditional foundations/roots
Top alumni
Unique in the UK (along with Oxford)
Earns a great deal of respect
Everything you could ever want from your degree

However, I would say this is the most important one:

Its academic excellence

IMO university should be about your education - first and foremost. Not the social life, the alcohol or the drugs - just developing your education.
To re-iterate my point - the vast range of intellectual societies - you know what I mean by that.

It's practically the perfect university. :yep:

Anyone that says "oh but the hard work" - surely one would love to be challenged and develop their academic potential as much as they can?

I personally think it's underrated. :yep:

Even if you took away its reputation and prestige - it's an amazing university. :smile:
It's probably overrated, purely because nothing could ever live up to the reputation which Cambridge has.
Depends on what subject you are talking about. It is second to none in many sciences and some arts and generally a very nice place to be in. Its the ethos that attracted me there.

However, there are a few where it lacks. Medicine for example where the training area is quite small (you can transfer to london after 3rd year if you want) and the GMC + many hospital administration think that Cambridge graduates are too 'sciency' and haven't necessarily developed the clinical skills required to the extent they want (my really good friends dad reporting who is in the committee and he was disappointed I applied to cambs so this isnt any post rejection rant)

Its the environment, people and ethos that I think are the best aspects of cambs.
im so academic
Beautiful surroundings
Top quality teachings
Collegiate system
Supervision/Tutorial system
Vast range of intellectual extra curriculars
Amazing prestige
Best resources
Fantastic architecture
Very traditional foundations/roots
Top alumni
Unique in the UK (along with Oxford)

Earns a great deal of respect
Everything you could ever want from your degree

However, I would say this is the most important one:

Its academic excellence

IMO university should be about your education - first and foremost. Not the social life, the alcohol or the drugs - just developing your education.
To re-iterate my point - the vast range of intellectual societies - you know what I mean by that.

It's practically the perfect university. :yep:

Anyone that says "oh but the hard work" - surely one would love to be challenged and develop their academic potential as much as they can?

I personally think it's underrated. :yep:

Even if you took away its reputation and prestige - it's an amazing university. :smile:

Your last 4 points really are nonsense. Prestige is good but only takes you so far. 'All you could ever want' is the worst sweeping statement I have heard in a long, LONG while and who cares about the alumni. Or as the christs admissions tutor put it - we have plenty of alumni that die off and give us money we can give you.

Dont get me wrong, I love the supervision and collegiate system and other obvious advantages but you seem (infact, are) a person who is so bent on their opinion that its clouding your judgement.
It is in a sense. It definitely has an element of self-serving pomposity, whilst Oxford doesn't.

(NB I've never applied to either university)
Reply 16
divinelord
Your last 4 points really are nonsense. Prestige is good but only takes you so far. 'All you could ever want' is the worst sweeping statement I have heard in a long, LONG while and who cares about the alumni. Or as the christs admissions tutor put it - we have plenty of alumni that die off and give us money we can give you.

Dont get me wrong, I love the supervision and collegiate system and other obvious advantages but you seem (infact, are) a person who is so bent on their opinion that its clouding your judgement.

Criticising im so academic for being set on Oxbridge is really not even trying.

"For a lemon, you do seem awfully lemony."
divinelord
Depends on what subject you are talking about. It is second to none in many sciences and some arts and generally a very nice place to be in. Its the ethos that attracted me there.

However, there are a few where it lacks. Medicine for example where the training area is quite small (you can transfer to london after 3rd year if you want) and the GMC + many hospital administration think that Cambridge graduates are too 'sciency' and haven't necessarily developed the clinical skills required to the extent they want (my really good friends dad reporting who is in the committee and he was disappointed I applied to cambs so this isnt any post rejection rant)

Its the environment, people and ethos that I think are the best aspects of cambs.

Are there not 3 years specifically devoted to developing clinical skills? I know it's just what you've been told, but it does seem odd.
Jonty99
Are there not 3 years specifically devoted to developing clinical skills? I know it's just what you've been told, but it does seem odd.

There are but they are still less than what most universities offer. The last 2 years are just the bare essential required by the GMC to get that degree qualifying you to do medicine (a round of the different departments in medicine).
Jonty99

Everyone deserves a rant :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending