The Student Room Group

TSR Game Bargains Thread

Scroll to see replies

Seeing as people are talking about steam sales is City XL any good? it is on the daily sales
Trine 2. People should pick that **** up. (Epic game)

Bastion too if that wins community choice one. Also an epic game.
Original post by WhatTheFunk
Seeing as people are talking about steam sales is City XL any good? it is on the daily sales

Awful games, I played the 2011 and 2012 versions, so badly made and tediously repetitive... Give it a miss and try Sim City 4 instead.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
I know this isn't the thread for this, but are Macbook Pros decent on gaming?

I'm seriously contemplating getting one to satisfy my video editing needs and I'm wondering whether it'll be alright for playing a few first person shooters when I'm bored in the living room or not. I've always heard the stereotype about Macs and gaming :dontknow:

Macs are better than they used to be for gaming since more devs support them now.

Still pretty damn awful though.

If you use BootCamp to run Win7 you might be alright, although generally speaking the graphics card in laptops is so sub-par it's laughable.
Original post by estel
Preorders are never included in sales.

Wait until the last day of the Steam sale before making any decisions on ARMA2.

Original post by Dalimyr
Pre-orders are never included in Steam sales, so don't bother waiting for a larger discount than the £3 off that it is now. Anyway, it's not out until mid-November, so hold off on ordering for now. Steam may still be the best deal available by then, or others may start dropping their £29.xx price tags to try and encourage sales, and that could happen pretty late on (with Skyrim last November, Asda were one of the cheapest available but their offer didn't spread around the internet until Oct 31st/Nov 1st, a week and a half before the game was released)

Thanks, though I think I shall purchase Hitman: Absolution because I really can't wait for it, and I also can't find it cheaper elsewhere... It probably won't be; £27 seems to be the lowest that shops are willing to sell it for.
Original post by mevidek
Thanks, though I think I shall purchase Hitman: Absolution because I really can't wait for it, and I also can't find it cheaper elsewhere... It probably won't be; £27 seems to be the lowest that shops are willing to sell it for.

I'd wait like Dali said - The price could (and probably will) drop in the 1/2 weeks before launch to encourage sales (although the game probably isn't big enough for the supermarket loss leader deals). Buying now seems silly, you'll get it at the same time anyway! :tongue:
Original post by neillya1
i'd wait like dali said - the price could (and probably will) drop in the 1/2 weeks before launch to encourage sales (although the game probably isn't big enough for the supermarket loss leader deals). Buying now seems silly, you'll get it at the same time anyway! :tongue:

It's AGONISING, but fine!!!

(Thanks :colondollar:)
Original post by Tommyjw
Trine 2. People should pick that **** up. (Epic game)

Bastion too if that wins community choice one. Also an epic game.

Listen to this guy. The first one is also going for £1.79 (I think) as part of the same daily sale, so there's no excuses. I picked up the second just now having loved the first.

Bastion is also a great little game, but I'm guessing most will have picked it up as part of the most recent humble bundle?

I don't think there's a whole lot that I want to go on sale now really, as my backlog is so large. A Civ V (only) offer would probably be the only definite buy for me now. No doubt Mr Gabe and his colleagues will pull something else out of the bag, though. Bastards.
Original post by mevidek
Awful games, I played the 2011 and 2012 versions, so badly made and tediously repetitive... Give it a miss and try Sim City 4 instead.

I already have sim city 4 and rush hour :p: Do enjoy that game. May give it a miss then if it is that bad. shame they won't make a decent city builder like sim city
I already have sim city 4 and rush hour :p: Do enjoy that game. May give it a miss then if it is that bad. shame they won't make a decent city builder like sim city

Hopefully the new Sim City is good. Cities XL is okay to begin with, but then gets ridiculously boring and repetitive.
Killing floor 3.49

I wanted this for ages, but was hesistant due to the usual high price
Reply 2271
I've decided, I'm not spending any more money unless there's a game I've specifically wanted, heavily discounted.

So far:
Magicka bundle
Terraria
Binding of Isaac bundle
Left 4 Dead bundle
Borderlands

Which comes in at £19.94. No more, please valve, no more :'(

This is my first summer sale, I couldn't spend much on the last christmas sale because I had no money in the bank (a fair bit of cash though) so I couldn't buy much (I got Bastion :biggrin: ).
Original post by mevidek
Hopefully the new Sim City is good. Cities XL is okay to begin with, but then gets ridiculously boring and repetitive.

When is the new one due. Thats a shame if it is like that
When is the new one due. Thats a shame if it is like that

I don't know, can't find it anyway, sorry!
Added Saints row to my list.

Only that and Dues Ex (and bought Bastion for a friend) so far. Doing well.

I'm seriously contemplating getting one to satisfy my video editing needs and I'm wondering whether it'll be alright for playing a few first person shooters when I'm bored in the living room or not. I've always heard the stereotype about Macs and gaming :dontknow:

It's fine. There's the Mac App Store which has COD4 among other games like Tomb Raider: Underworld and so on.
Reply 2276

I know all the games that have been in the humble bundles work on mac. TF2 does if you want an FPS and steam alone has over 250 additional mac games.
Reply 2277
just bought Trine, Trine 2, Bastion and Hitman: Blood Money for £8. First purchases of the sale :3
Oh god it was just too much to ignore. Got the dead space pack, with fallout 3 & new vegas (GOTY and ultimate). All that for £19 is actually ridiculous. I spent twice that much when I bought NV for ps3.
What's TSR's verdict of the Dead Space games?

Quick Reply

Latest