Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Issues affecting young people

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing some research into consumerism problems that young people in particular experience (kind of of BBC Watchdog type thing) and was wondering if there are any big issues you yourself have faced or issues that you can think of that affect teens/young people/students?

Anything except the student loans crisis of last year would be muchly appreciated.

If you have a rant about a company who have treated you badly, or that you think have a bad policy, let it all out here!

Thanks a lot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this counts, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case

Many shops are fussy about giving student discounts (ones that clearly state they offer them), if you don't have the 'right' type of student card, they refuse to let you have a discount. Surely the point is to help out some poor students, as long as you can prove you're one, it shouldn't matter.

Superdrug refused me a discount with my UCAS discount card, even though there's a clear sign by their tills that they accept UCAS cards - apparently mine was the 'wrong type' of UCAS card :erm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was in Topshop a few weeks ago and the woman was really scrutinising my card! She seemed quite reluctant to take the money off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that young people do often get labelled as being up to no good and sometimes we get banned from shops etc. because of this image that we are all criminals, people give young people dirty looks especially if they are wearing hoodies etc. THIS DISCRIMINATION HAS TO STOP.
    The Respect? Campaign believes that sometimes stereotypes about young people are blown out of proportion and young people get labelled for no reason. We want to tackle this and if you are interested in signing the Pledge which encourages young people to take action for themselves to make a difference please follow the link: http://www.pledgebank.com/RespectSpeakUp

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2010
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.