The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think the total Europe is Americanised.
UK have proms now.
definitely the UK. it's pretty much taken on the whole "nation of immigrants" thing that the US and Canada have going on.

it's only "americanised" socially, and perhaps economically, though. in terms of political and administrative structure, the UK is a world apart from the US.
ak56
Also, it's interesting that during Obama's presidential campaign, the European stop on his international tour was Berlin. Obviously, the whole campaign has advisers suggesting where the best reactions will be received and as a result they picked Germany - which seemed rather acurate, German youth seemed to lap him up.

He's popular in the UK, but I don't think Obama coming to London would receive quite such the fanatical, awe-struck response that he received in Berlin.

Obama went to Berlin in 2008 b/c Pres. Kennedy did his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech in West Germany in 1963.
Reply 24
we are not americanlised at all

the music we like a few american songs but u can never go wrong wiv a british songwriter

the best music comes from the dutch like arminn van burren and richard durand
we have places like godskitchen which rule the world of clubbin
ak56
I would say Germany strikes me as the most Americanised country in Europe. Germany has embraced American football to the extent the NFL even had a go at setting up a European league with the bulk of teams coming from Germany.

As far as I'm aware American football has never achived much popularity in Britain with most British people perceiving it as being a far too typically American came for them to take any interest.

Also, Germany is the only country in Europe to model its political system on an American decentralised, state-based structure, and in Germany cities, Germans have embraced the idea of skyscrapper building, while most European countries shy away from skyscrappers in favour of a flatter skyline to fit in with the historical buildings many European cities have. Heavy bombing of Germany may be to explain for some of it, but equally I still think it is to a certain extent the influence of American ideas of what is arcetectually desirable.

People often say the UK is the most Americanised country in Europe, but I feel this is a misconception. Most people say that because we speak the same language and politically have strong, probably far too strong ties with the US. However, on a cultural level I feel we aren't very much like the US at all, the bulk of the music many people listen to is British anyway, most of our TV is British, to be honest on the main TV stations you see very little in the way of imported American TV and just in general I feel we have limited cultural paralel with the US other than the language.

Where would you say is?

Have you ever been in Germany or US? Because Germany definitely is not the most americanised country in Europe :facepalm:
Probably the UK.

The UK of course.
Broderss
lol you just killed OP. Respect.

I would say Kazakhstan, but it's neither Americanised nor in Europe.

but you're racist..
The Moon.

I agreee with the OP Germany has a lot in common with the US. People just say the UK either becuase they live here or becuase we speak the same language. In terms of modernity Germany is very modern compared to the UK we are centuries behind.
Reply 31
I don't think the UK is actually.
What we share with America is (was?) a similar view on economics (the free market) and speak the same language. Do we share a culture?

I don't think so. Firstly, what is American culture? America is too diverse to have a standard American culture... Unless McDonalds is a culture. The other thing could be guns, but we don't share that...

Latest

Trending

Trending