The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wolfrace
exactly my thoughts. all in all, it seems to me that you were keeping up the stereotype, and you didn't do anything to make the situation better.

and tbh most people who aren't old don't have the guts to tell people to turn their music down, for example, which these ladies were probably annoyed about in the first place.

learn some manners, and show some consideration for other people mate

It seriously wasnt that loud, it ws just loud enough to keep me awake til i got to my stop. and what gives them the right to complain about someone who has clearly had a rough night who has done nothing wrong?
Reply 21
gear-guy
Why do alot of elderly people think they are superior to the youth?

An example (out of many) in my experience is:
I was on my way home from a party on a bus at about 8 in the morning, i had missed the last bus the night before so was looking a bit scruffy. My hair is (natrually) jet black and quite long. As i had not intended to stay the night, i had slept on the floor in my jeans, so my clothes were very scruffy too. In an attempt not to fall asleep i was listening to my music very loud (through earphones of course). As you might have noticed i'm a massive queen fan, so i was listening to my playlist on my phone. At the stop after two old women got on and sat directly behind me. They were complaining about how todays youth had no idea what real music was. one of them decided to prove their theory by asking me what i was listening to, i ignored them. She then said "i'll bet he's embarrased about what he's listening to". At this point i turned round to inform them that not only was i listening to real music, i was far from average. She asked if i had heard of freddie mercury and queen, i answered yes, she shouted "Lies!!! just like every other teenager, hasn't got a clue" i showed them my phone, currently playing bohemian rhapsody. they kind of stared for a while then started shouting "Respect your elders, don't back chat" and **** like that. I couldnt be bothered with their crap that early in the morning and screamed at them to "shut the **** up! I'm not a stereo type, not a number, i'm me, so if you will kindly leave me alone, thank you". They managed to get me kicked off the bus, i was stuck for another hour and 45 minutes because of them. The driver was actually a freind of mines dad, he understood that the people had been taking the piss, but didn't want to anger them anymore by asking them to leave or alowwing me to stay on.

Long, i know, but the basic is, old people stereotype loads and only see what they think they see. Is this the medias fault for only showing stories which show damage done by the minority?

This didn't happen.
Reply 22
gear-guy
It seriously wasnt that loud, it ws just loud enough to keep me awake til i got to my stop. and what gives them the right to complain about someone who has clearly had a rough night who has done nothing wrong?

i'm gonna be honest with you. firstly, your night really doesn't sound that 'rough'. but you're 13 i guess. and secondly, i always find it annoying when people try to get sympathy when they feel rough as a result of doing something that they chose to do for pleasure. even if it was unplanned. if you were coming home from a night shift at work or something then that's another story. but i guess you're 13.

you'll learn in time ; )
Reply 23
Trigger
This didn't happen.

i'm sad that you think that. why do you think that?
gear-guy
Did you get the bit about me getting almost no sleep? Sleeping on the floor? no? i would normaly be fairly smartly dressed, but at that moment in time all i wanted to do was get home. it's not my fault i missed the last bus, i didn't plan to sleep on the floor, if i had known i was going to be spending the night i would have had my stuff with me, all i had with me was my bass and my phone. and as for it being too loud, i mean it seemed loud to me, but i had an incredible headache so everything seemed way louder than it was.

Surely playing music would make your headache worse? When I have them I can't bear to hear anything loud, whether music or otherwise :s-smilie: - it's like a drill into my forehead, and makes the throbbing worse.
Reply 25
gear-guy
i'm sad that you think that. why do you think that?

1) you look about 14 so the only party you would have been at would have finished at 7pm 2) I doubt anyone would invite you to a party in the first place and 3) there is no way in hell you would have sworn at anyone. Look at you. Seriously.
Reply 26
It irritates me when someone says, I'm not a stereotype, I'm just me! That's kind of stereotyping too... *face palm*

I don't know why there was a debate about music, it's not like Queen are fantastic and the epitome of real music imo.
Reply 27
While I suspect Trigger is correct in her assumption, the correct way to deal with pretentious old buggers is to behave maturely. It confuses them. In my job, I deal with 90% old people, and if they start to kick off, I just tell them - politely - that there is no reason to be rude. And if they carry on then I end the conversation. That way, they look childish. Swearing at them = confirms the 'yoof' stereotype.

On the other hand, the language that comes out of my mouth when I'm stuck behind some 100 year old coot driving at 15mph on the main road on my way to work is something to hear. :cool:
Reply 28
Trigger
1) you look about 14 so the only party you would have been at would have finished at 7pm 2) I doubt anyone would invite you to a party in the first place and 3) there is no way in hell you would have sworn at anyone. Look at you. Seriously.

1)thats an ancient photo (i'm not 14 til next week, the photo was taken nearly a year ago, say much about your judgement?) and if you didnt have late parties when you were this age, you were deprived. 2)why wouldnt they? it was one of my freinds 15th bday, they would have killed me if i hadnt gone. 3) i have VERY serious anger managment proplems, apparently induced by stress and bullying (thats what the phsycologist said, don't get at me).

All in all, you seem to have failed in your logic.

FormerlyHistoryStudent
Surely playing music would make your headache worse? When I have them I can't bear to hear anything loud, whether music or otherwise :s-smilie: - it's like a drill into my forehead, and makes the throbbing worse.

You would have thought so, it was mainly to get away from the noise of the bus.

wolfrace
i'm gonna be honest with you. firstly, your night really doesn't sound that 'rough'. but you're 13 i guess. and secondly, i always find it annoying when people try to get sympathy when they feel rough as a result of doing something that they chose to do for pleasure. even if it was unplanned. if you were coming home from a night shift at work or something then that's another story. but i guess you're 13.

you'll learn in time ; )

As fun as it was, i'm never doing that again, my freinds dog wouldnt **** off. Plus, have you ever tried sleeping on a wood floor with nothing but a rug that smells like dog fur and a cushion, not at all pleasant
Reply 29
Linweth
It irritates me when someone says, I'm not a stereotype, I'm just me! That's kind of stereotyping too... *face palm*

I don't know why there was a debate about music, it's not like Queen are fantastic and the epitome of real music imo.

They assumed i was listening to some modern crap, like the stuff that seems to get into the charts too easily.
Plus, i never said you had to agree with me on music, just because i'm a massive fan and have every album doesnt mean i dont like other stuff too, just like this better.
Reply 30
You are so full of BS kid.
Reply 31
Trigger
You are so full of BS kid.

can i, at this point, state that my experience was only an example of oldies being pretentious, i did not really want to discuss the incedent, more what causes them to think they are superior.
Yeah this is true I worked in a bank for a while and you ge that kind of **** of old people all the time.
Reply 33
gear-guy
can i, at this point, state that my experience was only an example of oldies being pretentious, i did not really want to discuss the incedent, more what causes them to think they are superior.

Well you were in the wrong and they were in the right. You are some snot nosed kid with a made up attitude problem and they were annoyed you were being anti-social on he bus. When you grow up you might learn the art of tact and when best to keep your mouth shut...of course this is all if the story was true, which it isn't :h:
Reply 34
Why do people think that wearing headphones makes their music inaudible to anyone else? Pretty much every day on the bus to work there's at least one person (usually younger than me) playing something on their headphones so we can all hear. Even more irritatingly a lot of it is gangsta rap with lots of swearing about bitches and ****ing people up, which I don't think is appropriate on a bus with young children on it. I don't think either the OP or the two ladies in question handled the situation particularly well.
Reply 35
gear-guy
They assumed i was listening to some modern crap, like the stuff that seems to get into the charts too easily.
Plus, i never said you had to agree with me on music, just because i'm a massive fan and have every album doesnt mean i dont like other stuff too, just like this better.

I see, well, it's best to just ignore them really, you'll meet many old people who feel like the world owes them respect.
Reply 36
Trigger
Well you were in the wrong and they were in the right. You are some snot nosed kid with a made up attitude problem and they were annoyed you were being anti-social on he bus. When you grow up you might learn the art of tact and when best to keep your mouth shut...of course this is all if the story was true, which it isn't :h:

ok, so i made (some of it) up, but similar things have happened. and about the anger management problem? do you want to speak to my phsycologist about that?
how was i being anti social? perfectly acceptable to be texting and listening to music on your phone on a bus
Reply 37
Helenia
Why do people think that wearing headphones makes their music inaudible to anyone else? Pretty much every day on the bus to work there's at least one person (usually younger than me) playing something on their headphones so we can all hear. Even more irritatingly a lot of it is gangsta rap with lots of swearing about bitches and ****ing people up, which I don't think is appropriate on a bus with young children on it. I don't think either the OP or the two ladies in question handled the situation particularly well.

because i had it on at an acceptable level, and if it was too loud, they could have politley asked me to turn it down.
Reply 38
gear-guy
ok, so i made (some of it) up, but similar things have happened. and about the anger management problem? do you want to speak to my phsycologist about that?
how was i being anti social? perfectly acceptable to be texting and listening to music on your phone on a bus

When i want to talk to some ones invisible friend i will let you know. And the fact they could hear your music was enough for every one to consider you an ass hole.
Reply 39
gear-guy
because i had it on at an acceptable level, and if it was too loud, they could have politley asked me to turn it down.

You earlier said it was loud. They obviously didn't consider it acceptable.

Latest

Trending

Trending