The Student Room Group
Come on - he/she is just asking for a bit of help! (I'm sorry OP, but I haven't studied any demographic geography for a while now :tongue:)
A state is a body establishing sovereign power within a defined territorial area, usually with a monopoly of legitimate violence. This area may be anywhere, and its inhabitants anyone. However, for debatable reasons, in the modern world, states usually claim to represent a single nation. A nation is a contested concept, usually defined by a number of objective factors such as shared language, history, traditions, religion and ethnicity and subjectively by how a group perceives itself. Ultimately it is a group of people who consider themselves to be a mutual political community and can communicate on a number of levels.

The two have often been confused because, as mentioned, the structure of the modern world means nations and states are often considered intrinsically linked. The nation is seen to form a natural political unit and cohesive society and so provide the basis for a stable state. It is also seen to have common interests which the state articulates through NSD, thus acquirin legitimacy. As a result the two terms are often used interchangeable, for example the United Nations is really an organisation based on states, not nations.

Despite confusion, there are numerous examples of the distinction. Firstly, states such as Britain or the former Yugoslavia can be seen to contain more than one nation - English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish for the former, Serb, Croat, Slovenian among others for the latter. Secondly, many groups exist which sonsider themselves nations but do not have their own state. This group might include the Basques of Spain, Kurds and Palestinians. That these groups all seek to achieve their own state exemplifies how the nation and state are considered intrinsically linked. When a group does not demand political autonomy in the form of a stae, they are usually considered ethnic groups rather than nations.

^ I haven't re-read it so there may be some spelling mistakes.
Reply 3
You could also talk about if Europe is a nation ^
i'd say:

nation - coherent population with a single language, culture, religion etc.

state - region of land controlled by a single government

so a nation state is a state that contains a nation, e.g. France, which is the country where the French live. but unlike Canada, which is a state that comprises a variety of groups.
Reply 5
Pocket Calculator
i'd say:

nation - coherent population with a single language, culture, religion etc.

state - region of land controlled by a single government

so a nation state is a state that contains a nation, e.g. France, which is the country where the French live. but unlike Canada, which is a state that comprises a variety of groups.

What about the Bretons and the Basques? I'd say there are very few places that are true nation states. Japan is probably the best example.

Latest

Trending

Trending