The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Wolfson College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Athena
Is this for architecture? If you can tell us the subject, I can point you in the direction of the correct course thread...

Yes, Architecture.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
JollyPilgrim
I guess there are not many Wolfson undergrads. Maybe around 30 odd admitted each year? Should be easier to get to know each other.

I thought somewhere was mentioned they have 110 undergrads so sounds feasible. You can always look at the undergraduate admissions statistics the university publish.

JollyPilgrim
kick Wolfson up the Tompkins Table?

Well actually this is a discussion I'm interested to have.
I wonder what is going on, that causes the mature colleges to consistently appear at the bottom of the tables. I wonder what is going on that is skewing it like that......

I'd be interested to see stats on results vs age at _all_ colleges, and also consider what is going on in terms of undergrad vs graduate stats. Remember that the mature colleges are mostly graduate students, disproportionately compared to many colleges...

What is it that those tables are measuring, etc...?
Puzzle!
Reply 22
enyc
I thought somewhere was mentioned they have 110 undergrads so sounds feasible. You can always look at the undergraduate admissions statistics the university publish.

Well actually this is a discussion I'm interested to have.
I wonder what is going on, that causes the mature colleges to consistently appear at the bottom of the tables. I wonder what is going on that is skewing it like that......

Wolfson is in 24th place on the 2010 table (up from 27th) with a score of 59.51%. Fitzwilliam (22nd) and Hughes Hall (27th) have 59.56% and 57.98% respectively, so the actual differences seem to be minute at best. However, the percentage of firsts is about 11%, whereas the other colleges in that area have figures of 14–16% (22nd–27th places).

I think the skewing might have something to do with Wolfson having a smaller undergraduate population—i.e., individual bad results affect the overall college performance much more than at other colleges. However, that doesn't explain why Wolfson is seldom above 25th place on the table. Maybe Wolfson has lower/other criteria for admission and so increase the risk of admitting the occasional underachiever, who will in turn affect the overall figures relatively more than at the larger colleges (cf. proportion of firsts)?

I'd be interested to see stats on results vs age at _all_ colleges, and also consider what is going on in terms of undergrad vs graduate stats.

What do you mean?

Remember that the mature colleges are mostly graduate students, disproportionately compared to many colleges...

What is it that those tables are measuring, etc...?
Puzzle!

From the Wikipedia article:

The table allocates 5 points for a First Class degree, 3 points for an Upper Second (known also as a 2-1), 2 points for a Lower Second (a 2-2), 1 point for a Third and no points for someone only granted an allowance towards an Ordinary Degree. The scores in each subject are then weighted to a common average, to avoid the bias towards colleges with higher proportions of students entered for subjects which receive higher average grades. The result is expressed as a percentage of the total number of points available.
Reply 23
EWS
the actual differences seem to be minute at best. However, the percentage of firsts is about 11%, whereas the other colleges in that area have figures of 14–16% (22nd–27th places).

EWS
I think the skewing might have something to do with Wolfson having a smaller undergraduate population

Yes, and the same would apply to Hughes and St.Edmunds' of course. They all seem near the bottom of the table for some reason.

EWS
Maybe Wolfson has lower/other criteria for admission and so increase the risk of admitting the occasional underachiever

I was told they belong to the mature students' admissions forum or something like that, they definitely consider more aspects. At the mature applicants support day it sounded like they have many people who are second chance students for some reason or another.

enyc
I'd be interested to see stats on results vs age at _all_ colleges, and also consider what is going on in terms of undergrad vs graduate stats.

EWS
What do you mean?

I mean, I would be interested to see stats on results, in which 'age' and 'graduate vs undergrad' is part of the axis/graph/results. Hummm not sure if that makes sense.

EWS
From the Wikipedia article:

OK, now understood.
Reply 24
Thought I'd revive this thread. Any other Wolfson applicants out there?
Reply 25
I've applied to Wolfson to study history- no interview date yet but I remain hopeful!
Reply 26
Original post by Flibbles
I've applied to Wolfson to study history- no interview date yet but I remain hopeful!

Hello :smile:

Nice to meet someone else applying to Wolfson on here. I've applied to study medicine and don't have an interview date either. Hope Wolfson don't keep us in suspense too long!
Reply 27
hey guys, i'm also waiting, applied to study economics :smile: nice to meet you~~
Reply 28
Greetings. Anyone here reading Law? It'll be cool if someone can share me their interview experience for Law :smile:

Also, I know this is going to sound stupid. But what is the correct way to pronounce Hrebeniak? Would it be Reh-Bern-Knack? I just need to be 100% sure :colondollar:

Thank you.
Reply 29
If you read phonemic transcriptions it's a bit like this: /r?b?n?æk/. I also have it on good authority that some people just call him Dr H, but you might not want to push your luck on the first date.
Reply 30
Original post by EWS
If you read phonemic transcriptions it's a bit like this: /r?b?n?æk/. I also have it on good authority that some people just call him Dr H, but you might not want to push your luck on the first date.

Oh gosh... Im not very good with phonemic transcriptions. But thank you anyway :smile:
I got an interview at Wolfson coming up soon, got pooled here after Open Application. As I will be just a few days over 21 when I start if I get an offer, I'd say I'll prolly have more in common with the 18-19 year old kids at the other colleges than mature undergrads/postgrads who will be like 25+. Since there doesnt seem to be many threads/articles about this kind of small and secluded college in the outskirts of town, I wonder if anyone here can give some of their opinions on the college life, looks (during summer time), convenience of location, inclusion with the other colleges etc? How do students at other colleges view Wolfson? I hope we are not getting ostracised:colondollar:
Reply 32
Isaiah Berlin for the win
Reply 33
Hey Lots of Hugs,

Ill be a few days over 21 when i go to Wolfson next year, I was offered deferred entry after bein pooled. Trust me the 25+ grads will be cool and you'll definatly have fun at the college, ultimately you make your experiance so just put in the effort and there is nothing to be worried about.

Out of interest what are you applying for?
Reply 34
Original post by Lots of hugs
I got an interview at Wolfson coming up soon, got pooled here after Open Application. As I will be just a few days over 21 when I start if I get an offer, I'd say I'll prolly have more in common with the 18-19 year old kids at the other colleges than mature undergrads/postgrads who will be like 25+. Since there doesnt seem to be many threads/articles about this kind of small and secluded college in the outskirts of town, I wonder if anyone here can give some of their opinions on the college life, looks (during summer time), convenience of location, inclusion with the other colleges etc? How do students at other colleges view Wolfson? I hope we are not getting ostracised:colondollar:

You probably will have more in common with the younger undergraduate students.

I personally think there is somewhat of a division on the course between the 18 year olds and the older students. Though nearly everyone tends to stick with people from their own college to be honest.

As for Wolfson being 'small and secluded', I've been before and it's anything but. Apparently it has something like 700 students, and is the biggest (and richest) mature college. Plus many other colleges are further out.
Reply 35
Hey,

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who is going to be attending wolfson next year......

I will be studying English Literature and will be 21 when I start.

Hopefully a few people will pop up
Reply 36
Original post by JohnGalt
Hey,

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who is going to be attending wolfson next year......

Hi there :smile:

don't know how we missed you, "no chance" was sending a pm to all prospective Wolfson students - there are a few hanging around here. Actually, "no chance" is also going to study English like you. Then there is Bernard and me going to read Econmics and Tanawat and steaphkoala to read Law and alice8 for PPS.

It's a great pleasure to meet you :smile: You already in or do you have any conditions?

Edit: oh, right, forgot: I'll be 24 at the start :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Hey,

yea, no idea how we all missed you. But yea, I'm Tanawat (T), will be 21 at the start of the term (although will be a month-ish away from 22), and will also be reading law :smile:

nice to meet you :smile:

-T
Reply 38
Original post by JohnGalt
Hey,

Hey there. As Kashiya mentioned I am also going to be reading English come October, I'll be 21 too. Also, Ayn Rand is rubbish, :biggrin:.
Reply 39
Original post by no chance
Also, Ayn Rand is rubbish, :biggrin:.

Oh no :frown:
we are not even really in there and I already have no idea what we are talking about :redface: luckily there is Wikipedia :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest