The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Wolfson College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by ameba228
Hello! Thanks for all the information you gave on this forum so far! :smile: I have a question regarding accommodation.

I am starting an LLM in October and Wolfson is my college. I will only be able to meet the conditions of my offer in September and I can only apply for accommodation after that. My question: Will there still be any rooms left, if I file the accommodation request in September? The college accommodation office does not want to answer the question. I understand that you probably cannot give me a definite answer, but any kind of information would be much appreciated. I know that Wolfson has a lot of accommodation facilities, but I am still worried.

Thank you so so much for your answer!

Hey, sorry for the late reply! I'm pretty certain there will be rooms left. Wolfson College is very good at making sure everyone who wants accommodation will get it - even to the point of offering to house students from other colleges which are full!

Wolfson accom is definitely at its fullest at the start of term, granted. But it is very unlikely that they will leave you with nothing. Students come and go all the time, I've moved rooms part way through the year with no problem. The only thing that could happen is you are in a room with a price range you don't want.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 121
Original post by Camilli
According to CamSIS, Wolfson said "yes" today. So I now know where I won't be living. :smile: MSt students stay at Madingley Hall for a few days each session and don't have to set foot in their college at all. I hope to stick around for a bit after each session, though, if only to get some work done and experience a tiny bit of university life.

I must say, it was a weird process by which I chose the college. The only other option for (male) students in my program was St Edmunds. A friend of mine who had spent a year at Churchill doing theoretical physics and music said that Wolfson was a nice place to go after orchestra rehearsals, and he knew nothing about St Edmunds. The ties and scarves are much nicer at St. Edmunds, but as an agnostic with Puritan roots, it seemed safer to avoid the RC college and instead do the one without the chapel. So there it is. But if I had the choice, one of the creaky antiques closer to town would have been fun to consider.

Congrats! :smile: Yes the options can be weird for us 'mature' or 'affiliated' students. I could only choose from Wolfson, St Eddies and Lucy Cav for Vet Med. Wolfson is a nice college, definitely one of the friendlier ones.
Hi all,

Is this thread still active? I'm considering to apply to Wolfson as a law applicant. I completed a CertHE in Legal Method form Birkbeck last year with Distinction. But due to extenuating circumstances I ended up coming to the University of Leiden to begin a BA in International Studies. Anyhow, just curious if anyone else is applying to Wolfson this year...
Original post by ameba228
Hello! Thanks for all the information you gave on this forum so far! :smile: I have a question regarding accommodation.

I am starting an LLM in October and Wolfson is my college. I will only be able to meet the conditions of my offer in September and I can only apply for accommodation after that. My question: Will there still be any rooms left, if I file the accommodation request in September? The college accommodation office does not want to answer the question. I understand that you probably cannot give me a definite answer, but any kind of information would be much appreciated. I know that Wolfson has a lot of accommodation facilities, but I am still worried.

Thank you so so much for your answer!

Hi there!

Have you managed to meet your offer to begin the LLM at Wolfson? Just curious if you've had a chance to meet the DoS for Law. Any first impressions you might be willing to share?
Original post by Perks25
Hi there!

Have you managed to meet your offer to begin the LLM at Wolfson? Just curious if you've had a chance to meet the DoS for Law. Any first impressions you might be willing to share?

Yes, I met the conditions and I also got a room at Wolfson, which is good news :smile: No, I haven't met my DoS yet. I am only travelling to Cambridge in October, so I don't really have much to share atm.
Hello folks! I'm a mature applicant hoping for a shot at entry in the upcoming 2016 cycle! The college really appeals to me and I hope I am fortunate enough to get the chance to find out if it is as great as it looks :smile:
I've been offered a place at Wolfson, has anyone else heard back?
Reply 127
Yup, I have an offer for HSPS, congratulations! What course? Were you a direct applicant or pooled?
Reply 128
Ooh that's postgraduate right? I'm a mature undergrad, not come across many Wolfson offer holders for either on here though.
Original post by aisja
Ooh that's postgraduate right? I'm a mature undergrad, not come across many Wolfson offer holders for either on here though.

Yeah postgrad :smile:

Sent from mobile
Original post by aware1
Hows the internet like at Cambridge? Apparently at Wolfson theres a 10 GB data limit per month ? Anyone heard of this?

Nope, the internet is unlimited at Wolfson. Currently, I'm getting 65Mbps up / 49Mbps down with 6ms ping over wifi (and using a VPN), I imagine I'd get similar numbers over my room connection.

(Wifi is only in common rooms, the library, etc. at the moment, but there are plans to implement it in accommodation too)

Otherwise, I find mobile data connectivity fluctuates a lot, and in town on a busy day I basically can't get a connection at all (I'm using giffgaff).
Original post by aware1
Yeah postgrad :smile:

Sent from mobile

Same here :smile:
Reply 132
Messing around with Cambridge's map, I've noticed that most colleges have sports grounds, but Wolfson doesn't. Does the college have it's facilities somewhere else? I'm interested mainly in swimming and basketball.
Original post by zpx
Messing around with Cambridge's map, I've noticed that most colleges have sports grounds, but Wolfson doesn't. Does the college have it's facilities somewhere else? I'm interested mainly in swimming and basketball.

There's a tennis court, definitely no swimming pool. Can't remember if there's any place for basketball but we might have one.
Original post by zpx

It shares a pool with Christs (we used to climb over the fence, but I don't recommend you do that) and there certainly used to be a very active and successful basketball society, which practised at Kelsey Kerridge.
Hi! Wolfson college has offered me a place and I'll be there literally in one month. I've been swimming for the last 15 years and now I would like to try something new. I am thinking about tennis and tango. Would you recommend me to join these University of Cambridge societies or may be there are other better places to learn these two? Thanks in advance!
Original post by Tali_91
Hey everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has received offers :smile: I'm currently a second year Vet Med student at Wolfson, and I'm also on the Wolfson College Student Association so know a fair bit about the college! If you have any questions about anything to do with accommodation/college life/courses then I'm very happy to answer! :smile:

Hi! I know you posted this a few years ago now and I'm assuming you have graduated now? But anyway, I have offers to study at Cambridge as an affiliate student and on the accelerated programme at the RVC and am struggling to decide! I would love to hear about your experience at Cam if possible? Thanks!
Prospective Wolfson applicant checking in. Will my application be more competitive if I wear a sweatshirt with a wolf on at interviews? Asking for a friend.
Hello. Checking-in here. Undergraduate AMES offer holder.
Reply 139
this thread seems quite dead but worth a shot anyway - are there any 2019 offer holders for Wolfson out there?
Anybody have any info about Wolfson, I've heard mixed feedback about it, and would like to get some more insight...
... I heard its also not possible to change the college we have been placed in, or did I miss something?

Quick Reply

Latest