The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I look down on a lot of people - I'm reasonably tall (about 5'9, 5'10) and live in a rather 'short' area, so I've got height on a lot of people around these parts.

However, I do not think I'm inherently better than anyone because we all have our merits and our downfalls.
But surely some people are better than others. No? :s-smilie:

I know I have the potential to be very successful in life. And I am a great person. I am highly articulate, kind, knowledgeable on lots of wide ranging issues, and I am civil to all. I cannot be blamed for having a sense of pride when I see scruffily dressed chavs and ****** people in town. They are not articulate or kind (committing crime is not kindness), nor can they ever know or give a **** about wide-ranging topics/issues. :yes:
Reply 3
If one could correctly use the word 'one', one wouldn't get looked at down my nose!
rajandkwameali

I know I have the potential to be very successful in life. And I am a great person. I am highly articulate, kind, knowledgeable on lots of wide ranging issues, and I am civil to all. I cannot be blamed for having a sense of pride when I see scruffily dressed chavs and ****** people in town. They are not articulate or kind (committing crime is not kindness), nor can they ever know or give a **** about wide-ranging topics/issues. :yes:

It's just the complete lack of modesty letting you down, isn't it?
rajandkwameali
If one lives in a town full of chavs, ****** people, low-lives and scallies, do you look down your nose at them, knowing you're not a chav, ****** or scally?

If one also helps design systems that protect others lives and property, and the chavs and scallies only are good for sweeping floors and serving in McDonalds, does this give one a sense of wellbeing?

OP, if by 'one' you are referring to yourself, then remember that you are JUST A MAN! Your life is worth no more than that of an unemployed young adult, or a street cleaner. This is because, although you deliver a service which you deem to be more worthy than the above, that unemployed young person might be looking after somebody full time and may well be loved by many who would miss said young person if they were to expire.
And as far as 'job worth' goes, I'd rather not wade down the street knee deep in unsanitary piles of detritus for the sake of owning a burglar alarm or whatever it is 'one' creates.
Reply 6
"Looking down your nose at people - do you do it?" - yeah, all the time :smile:
Reply 7
Even though I'm not the tallest person here, I do still look down my nose at people (w/e that means). There are trillions of men here who are shorter than me. :afraid: :nooo:
I look down on people with less rep and less warning points than me. What's more, I occasionally like to look down on people who don't go to red brick/Russell group unis :smile:
Toffee_Kid
OP, if by 'one' you are referring to yourself, then remember that you are JUST A MAN! Your life is worth no more than that of an unemployed young adult, or a street cleaner. This is because, although you deliver a service which you deem to be more worthy than the above, that unemployed young person might be looking after somebody full time and may well be loved by many who would miss said young person if they were to expire.
And as far as 'job worth' goes, I'd rather not wade down the street knee deep in unsanitary piles of detritus for the sake of owning a burglar alarm or whatever it is 'one' creates.

lol.. unlikely.

The unemployed person most likely is not a wholesome person, and thus does not positively contribute to the world around them.

As for 'job worth', as you cite, well yes. Protecting the lives and property of thousands of students is of greater consequence than being unemployed and/or a scally or a scrote.
Potally_Tissed
It's just the complete lack of modesty letting you down, isn't it?

I am confident and self-assured. Is this a negative thing now?
rajandkwameali

Modest too. I'd laugh the day you saw one of those in a higher position than you. Appearance isn't everything, nor is the ability to be articulate or to be able to talk about the issues you would find yourselves interested in. If you think about it not many people are as fortunate as you are with your education/upbringing.

If you already assume yourself to be "better" than others, rather than just another human being with other downfalls and different assets then you are completely disregarding the possibility that they might one day surprise you by doing something good natured or insightful that you would never dream of doing, you ultimately dismiss them as a stereotype. Who's to say what a definition of "better" would be anyway? It sounds to me like you don't have a particularly open mind, because what is good to you wouldn't be the same to other people.

What I'm trying to say is pull your head out of your arse and cut the elitist approach.
Reply 12
I don't actually. I grew up being friends with people that would be considered 'chavs' on here and still remain friendly with them.
not visually no....but obviously in my head.
I judge people based on the newspapers they read.
Reply 15
Yes we all do. I look down on people with no confidene mainly. I used to have very low confidence, so I can understand why, but feeling sorry for yourself doesn't make anything better, and if you don't like yourself, no one else will.
Reply 16
I'm a wee bit on the short side to really pull that look off to be honest...
not representative considering most people here are from grammer schools
Reply 18
I pretend that my nose in an ironsight and imagine myself shooting snot at people.
Yes I do little one

Latest

Trending

Trending