Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Hourly pay for a 16 year old

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been getting £4.10 an hour at a retail store over christmas. Is this average or really crap? Bear in mind I'm only 16 and @ college.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's probably just below average but it's above minimum wage I tend to find places will give you abot 4.50 ish, I think you are doing not to badly with that amount though and it's good to have a job.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most of my friends (16/17) earn between £3.50 and £5 an hour, so it seems to be the middle ground within my group of friends. I'm just above £5 an hour, but then I don't get things my friends on lower rates do so it all balances out.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    it isn't bad I get £4.61 p/h at the moment but when I turn 18 at the end of the month it shoots up to £5.85

and £4.61 is the same rate for 16/17
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    17 and get 6.95 an hour
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul36251)
    I've been getting £4.10 an hour at a retail store over christmas. Is this average or really crap? Bear in mind I'm only 16 and @ college.
    Minimum for 16 is about £3.40.

I started work when I was 15 on £4.00, next job was £4.85. Current Job, is £5.95. It depends on the employer, in my case H&M. Fantastic pay!

What retail store?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it sounds fine for 16 year old. Be glad that you managed to get a job.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrydanmarin)
    17 and get 6.95 an hour
    Where do you work!?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're soo lucky.

Im 17 and i only get paid £3.60 an hour!!!

Trying to save for Uni...soooo not gonna happen.

(although when i turn 18 - March - it gets upped to £4.80)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and my brother is 15 we work at the local fish and chip shop and get £6/hour and five weeks holiday a year. Generally, if you work in a local business where the boss is reasonable they will pay you at least £4.80- my past jobs have been £4.80 and £5.00. Even my 17 year old friend who has a McJob gets £4.65.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    17 and I get £3.70 :sadnod:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friends-Addict)
    (although when i turn 18 - March - it gets upped to £4.80)
    £4.83 I'd hope.

TBH I always got the minimum wage rate when I worked at WHSmith, but I got the full minimum wage (it was around £5.20 when I left AFAIK) even before I was 18. I think I may have been some strange exception though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I worked at 16 I got £7.50 an hour - that seemed high to me though. I think most people probably get minimum wage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm 16 and get paid £4.99 in my retail job but £6.08 in hospitality. so it varies
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get £6. I'd say that's quite good but not hugely terrific.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to get paid around 6.90 an hour once I turned 18 at my old place of work, and it was 5.80 before I was 18...So I'd say yours isn't bad

The place I'll be at now is more around the 12-15 an hour mark :sexface:, but it's not paid as an hourly rate haha.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When I was 16 and started working (September 2008) I was only on £3.50 an hour! However this increased to £4 after a few weeks, and then to £4.50 a few weeks after Christmas 2008. Just after my 17th birthday I asked my employer for a payrise to £5, and they actually gave me it so yeah. I think £4.10 is not bad for a 16 year old!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    It's probably just below average but it's above minimum wage I tend to find places will give you abot 4.50 ish, I think you are doing not to badly with that amount though and it's good to have a job.

This. I was on £5.75 when I had my first job at 16.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses. Not many people are hiring so unfortunately I can't really be picky!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekeythingis)
    Where do you work!?
    Lloyds Tsb

half the hours though, as its on the weekend, so in all hjonesty i get worse pay slips than anyone ever

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 28, 2010
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.