The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Blátönn
FiveFiveSix was an infantry soldier, so stfu woman (also; get back in the kitchen, make me a sammich, et cetera, et cetera).

i dont care weather he was the king of england. are you saying that i should be nice to him after he was rude to me just because he chose to join the army? strange logic.
also what exactly does this had to do with you???
Oh, also, from what I understand, there are lots of specialities to go into. It is just some have more openings than others. For example, I think there are three plastic surgeons employed by the RAF and you can only have their jobs once they have retired or gone away or died. Whereas for emergency medicine, it might be greater, or orthopaedics.. I think.
Reply 22
I know its a bit of a tangent, but how likely are you to get killed as an army medic? Just because I was interested at one point in working as an army doctor after (hopefully studying medicine).

To the OP, im sorry I have nothing useful to say, but I hope you get the course and the funding that you want! =)
Reply 23
helenjayne
Oh, also, from what I understand, there are lots of specialities to go into. It is just some have more openings than others. For example, I think there are three plastic surgeons employed by the RAF and you can only have their jobs once they have retired or gone away or died. Whereas for emergency medicine, it might be greater, or orthopaedics.. I think.
Or you might have to 'switch' jobs. A reg I was on-call with is gastro by trade but in the sandpit he's an intensivist.
Reply 24
IQ Test
I know its a bit of a tangent, but how likely are you to get killed as an army medic? Just because I was interested at one point in working as an army doctor after (hopefully studying medicine).

To the OP, im sorry I have nothing useful to say, but I hope you get the course and the funding that you want! =)

The Army spent thousands of pounds training you, paying your university fees...you become a resource to them, one they don't want to throw away. I seriously doubt you will be put on the "front line" (thats the "combat medical technician's" job - army paramedic if you like)

In some cases army doctors are in MOD wards of UK hospitals, or they can be in field hospitals in the likes of Camp Bastion.
Reply 25
Blátönn
Have you thought of reapplying to undergraduate medicine for your second year? Don't know if this is possible for medicine, but I'm sure with Psych. you have credits that can be transferred to a medical degree.

As far as I'm aware, very few universities offer this - and they only allow said transfers for those who are in the top percent of their year with regards to academic ability, as well as also looking at other variables including A level results, etc. I most certainly won't be acheiving high firsts in my modules and I did a non-science based BTEC qualification instead of A level so it's very unlikely.

Unless anyone has some information I'm unaware of?

Latest

Trending

Trending