The Student Room Group

Are my extra-curriculars decent? (Will give curry if you answer! ;])

I didn't know it was a big deal in the UK so I haven't focused on it until now... :o:

-School Debating Club
-School Book Club :ahee:
-Read to/entertain elderly patients in nursing (in the Dementia ward; they all have Alzheimer's)
-I also help out in the kitchens of said nursing home
-Was school prefect up until year 10
-Was school peer supporter up until year 10 as well (I transferred schools...don't ask)
-Had some work published in school literary magazine

I'm an international student, btw. I want to study Law and I'm applying to:

LSE (dream choice :biggrin:)
UCL
King's
*insert two other unis...*

I can't afford to focus on EC's this year (LSE expects a score of 95, I'm aiming for 98) so if that's not enough, I'm just gonna have to dig up old modeling work and past sporting work that has nothing to do with Law... :frown:

Scroll to see replies

jetsetgirl
I didn't know it was a big deal in the UK so I haven't focused on it until now... :o:

-School Debating Club
-Read to/entertain elderly patients in nursing (in the Dementia ward; they all have Alzheimer's)
-Was school peer supporter up until year 10 as well (I transferred schools...don't ask >.<)
- Had some work published in school literary magazine

UCL
King's

I can't afford to focus on EC's this year (LSE expects a score of 95, I'm aiming for 98) so if that's not enough, I'm just gonna have to dig up old modeling work and past sporting work that has nothing to do with Law... :frown:

Top universities really don't care about EC's, unless directly related to the subject at hand.
Decent....
try and do some EC related to law, volunteer in a law firm etc or do a summer school/taster courses for law....get some more experience
Can i have my curry now?
:biggrin:
Reply 4
Where are you from?
Reply 5
Mmmm... that sounds good, but try to do something this year as well.
To some the point of ECs is that they show you have more time than you need for school work as Uni will be more difficult and need more time. (Not saying this is my opinion)
when you talk about the prefect and peer mentoring; don't specify wht year you done it in. I remember someone saying the EC should be in the last 3 years or so.
Try and get some law-related ECs or work experience, because top Law universities like those frankly won't care about that kind of thing apart from it showing time-management skills.
Reply 8
Yeah, I was worried about that but I've never heard of any law firms around here having high school students as interns. :frown:

I live in Australia, LawIsBraw ...my mum just won't give up the curry. :ninja: lol
Maybe try and join some sort of Law society? If you show active interest in the law and show you've been willing to really investigate into what you're applying for it looks good.
Reply 10
Well, there goes my plan to focus on studying in 2010... There aren't any Law Societies for teenagers (there is a UN Youth one, though but I have...issues with them).

I could ask to follow someone at the childrens' court around for two weeks. Would that count?
jetsetgirl
Well, there goes my plan to focus on studying in 2010... There aren't any Law Societies for teenagers (there is a UN Youth one, though but I have...issues with them).

I could ask to follow someone at the childrens' court around for two weeks. Would that count?

Yeah, anything that shows you're taking an interest in the subject further than simply applying. You can sit in on court sessions, read books, follow someone at the childrens' court as you said... basically anything that shows motivation and interest. :yes:
I did work experience officially with the crown prosecution service but it basically involved going into court everyday (although there were some boring bits too!) could you try this?
Reply 13
ParadigmShift
Yeah, anything that shows you're taking an interest in the subject further than simply applying. You can sit in on court sessions, read books, follow someone at the childrens' court as you said... basically anything that shows motivation and interest. :yes:

Fair enough, I guess. I'll have to work this around my school holidays/school year.

Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 14
Rosamund123
I did work experience officially with the crown prosecution service but it basically involved going into court everyday (although there were some boring bits too!) could you try this?

That sounds brilliant except I don't live in Britain. :frown:
jetsetgirl
That sounds brilliant except I don't live in Britain. :frown:

Yeah, but I thought as Australia is in the commonwealth, the set up might be similar over there? Sorry, I have no idea whether you have a crown prosecution service or whether it's completely different...
Reply 16
Rosamund123
Yeah, but I thought as Australia is in the commonwealth, the set up might be similar over there? Sorry, I have no idea whether you have a crown prosecution service or whether it's completely different...

I think it's just England and Wales, actually. Thanks anyway, though! :smile:
Reply 17
jetsetgirl
I think it's just England and Wales, actually. Thanks anyway, though! :smile:

Write to a load of random firms and ask if you can shadow their work for a day/week/whatever? Ask your school for advice if they have any contacts? :smile:

ECs look good. You just need something more focussed to law ideally :smile:
Reply 18
jetsetgirl

-School Debating Club
-Was school peer supporter up until year 10 as well (I transferred schools...don't ask)
-Had some work published in school literary magazine

UCL
King's

You will come across as a nice patient, but academically and in relation to law, only your debating carries weight, in my opinion. Arrange for some work experience NOW and mention it (i.e. I have arranged a two week placement with... in the summer, which I expect will...).

Work experience placements might not be too hard to come by if you try smaller firms - you're doing them a favour too, sometimes.
Reply 19
keekee107
Write to a load of random firms and ask if you can shadow their work for a day/week/whatever? Ask your school for advice if they have any contacts? :smile:

ECs look good. You just need something more focussed to law ideally :smile:

That sounds simple enough... on paper. :p: Thanks for answering.

Latest

Trending

Trending