The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Blátönn
I don't think they'd turn gay. Frankly the thought of even kissing another man makes me feel physically sick. If I was stranded on a desert island and had the choice of sex with guys or celibacy I'd be celibate. The natural instinct is to reproduce, not simply to screw.

Meh, you could talk the talk all you want, but there's a reason why you shouldn't drop your soap, and it isn't because everyone is gay.

And as for instinct, we're driven by intelligence. Otherwise people could never be vegetarian.
I think you'd end up with a higher occurence of variant sexualities but I also think nature plays a huge part in forming sexuality.

You'd also get a higher occurence of people performing homosexual behaviours out of sexual need and not sexual attraction.

I think this would only hold for an entirely closed system. Parallels to single gender schools are silly.

Just my opinion and should not be taken as a slur on LGBT people. Would be pretty absurd if someone did, but if in doubt, look at my sig.
Reply 22
ed_jnr
Yeah, it was called pederasty (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty). That does work as evidence towards human bisexuality and so supports the idea that our own present day sexualities may be conditioned.

I wonder how much of that was socially forced however (e.g. teenage boys I think were often expected to be courted by older men).

About as much as a male is socially pressured into courting a female?
All gals school - one lesbian out of 600. maybe not?

however prison rules say otherwise... hm.
They probably would, yeah.

Blátönn
I don't think they'd turn gay. Frankly the thought of even kissing another man makes me feel physically sick. If I was stranded on a desert island and had the choice of sex with guys or celibacy I'd be celibate. The natural instinct is to reproduce, not simply to screw.

Then why is contraception popular? And kinds of sex which don't tend to make babies?
Reply 25
I think they'd be prison gay. I think they'd probably show homosexual behaviour, but it wouldn't be "true" homosexuality if you know what I mean. It would be mostly misdirected sexual release rather than because they are truly sexually attracted to the same sex (well some might be, but most wouldn't).
Reply 26
Zungie
Meh, you could talk the talk all you want, but there's a reason why you shouldn't drop your soap, and it isn't because everyone is gay.

And as for instinct, we're driven by intelligence. Otherwise people could never be vegetarian.

I'm pretty sure most people don't enter prison and want to shag men.

The instinct is to find a source of protein more than finding meat. Intelligence can override instinct but it doesn't rule us.
Blátönn

?

Reply 28
Blátönn

The instinct is to find a source of protein more than finding meat. Intelligence can override instinct but it doesn't rule us.

And what better way for instinct and intelligence to coincide than in the act of sex, where vigorous exercise is followed by a mild euphoria? It fulfills two of our needs, entertainment and maintaining a healthy lifestly.
Doubt it. Do feral children want to **** animals? No...
I'm SURE this thread title was "Bringing chicken up without knowledge of the opposite gender?"

Big let down :frown:
Reply 31
I go to an all girl school and in my year I don't think there are any lesbians at all. Maybe a few bisexuals but no lesbians I don't think. However, in an environment where there are no boys, the main conversation topics wouldn't be boys, no one had ever known or experience talking to a boy, etc, etc I think most people would be homosexual.
Reply 32
Blátönn

No. The instinct is to find meat. I don't think one of our instincts is related to finding proteins.
Reply 33
Fusilero
No. The instinct is to find meat. I don't think one of our instincts is related to finding proteins.

Protein is ultimately the reaon for eating meat hence why we instinctively seek protein from other sources as well i.e cows milk.
Blátönn

I assume the thought of even using a condom makes you feel physically sick, seeing as the natural instinct is to reproduce, not simply to screw.
Reply 35
paddyman4
I assume the thought of even using a condom makes you feel physically sick, seeing as the natural instinct is to reproduce, not simply to screw.

I do actually hate using condoms; I'd rather just forego penetrative sex than use a condom. That's a non-issue though; the only reason we aren't trying to reproduce is because of our reasoning (i.e kids are expensive, too young, et cetera) overriding our instinct.
I think the behaviour might be there, at least for some of the people on said island, especially if it's seen as the thing to do, but the sexuality would be about the same level as elsewhere.

Also, from what I know of one-sex schools, people don't come out til they leave.
I don't think so at all, although in *theory* it might seem so.

Take, for example, kids who went to single-sex schools - they seem like randy little buggers compared to those of us (like me) who went to a mixed-sex school.
Reply 38
Nelo Angelo
Yes seeing as homosexuality occurs in the animal kingdom where there are no mates available.

As for seemingly unfeasible, we could always ask Josef Fritzl to build a basement for us.

Yeah I read somewhere that there is no evidence of homosexuality in the animal kingdom, there is homosexual behaviour but when given the option the animals will go for the opposite sex. I'm sure there must be some exceptions. So I think there would be much homosexual behaviour but I don't believe environmental factors can really change your sexual orientation.
Reply 39
reisen
Yeah I read somewhere that there is no evidence of homosexuality in the animal kingdom, there is homosexual behaviour but when given the option the animals will go for the opposite sex. I'm sure there must be some exceptions. So I think there would be much homosexual behaviour but I don't believe environmental factors can really change your sexual orientation.

I heard that sometimes farmers have problems with rams that refuse to mate with female sheep. They would only be interested in the other males.

Latest

Trending

Trending