The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its a tough one. Disraeli was a paternalistic conservative and advocated social security and the like, whereas Gladstone placed far more emphasis on individual liberty. Hard to choose, probably would have gone for Gladstone.
Reply 2
My Opinion
The trouble is with Gladstone, Whereas he believed in equality he could not see that the institutions were holding down those that could rise, the trade unions act is a prime example allowing Trade unions but banning Picketing.
Disraeli however had the charisma although he was just a Charlatan Without views he gave the people what they needed, Yet his later years he becoms Irksome and annoying Almost despising M/C's yet my vote is with Disraeli
Reply 3
Evil-Tuna
My Opinion
The trouble is with Gladstone, Whereas he believed in equality he could not see that the institutions were holding down those that could rise, the trade unions act is a prime example allowing Trade unions but banning Picketing.

Picketing is just another form of bullying - I detest it, it relies on strength in crowds rather than in pesonal certainty. Because of Gladstone's view on the importance of individual liberty alone, I'd go for him. All hail the father of modern Liberalism..... :tsr:
Gladstone, I think. Although Disraeli amuses me in a foppish way. Kind of like a Victorian Boris Johnson. Heh.
Reply 5
Disraeli. I always feel that Gladstone had underlying motivations rather than just morality
Gladstone. I developed quite a soft spot for Disraeli and his crazy apparrel but he was seemingly totally devoid of morality when it came to political decisions. I mean he gave up his faith so that he could become a politician. Its a little fickle. Plus from studying their foreign policy it seems like if people had only listened to Gladstone's ideas about the importance of self-determinism then WWI may have be avoided (so possibly WWII? Who knows!)
Reply 7
Im not sure if Disraeli gave up his faith to become a politician, his father baptized him into christianity when he was 11, i believe, and so he may have been confused be the idea of faith
Reply 8
Picketing is just another form of bullying
The weak need to use collective tactics when they, as individuals, are as expenable as broken machinery.

My vote goes for Gladstone, and though I detest Disraeli as an opportunistic lying man who appealed to nationalistic tendencies, he was probably the shrewdest PM of the 19th century.
Reply 9
'Collective tactics' = a strike

Picketing is just bullying co-workers. Have you not heard of Arthur Scargill?
Reply 10
Tough one...love Gladstone for putting tea in his hot water bottle, so he could have a cup in the morning, though.
Reply 11
But Gladstone also liked his prostitutes...or 'secret missions', gawd bless him eh!
Reply 12
Elspungo
But Gladstone also liked his prostitutes...or 'secret missions', gawd bless him eh!

Hahaha "secret missions"! Tea for two?
Reply 13
Yes im sure much tea was drunk, i mean running the country was thirsty buisness :wink:
Reply 14
I would say that that is a bit harsh on Gladstone but i am too busy laughing at the idea of Gladstone collection Prostitutes lol :p:
Reply 15
While prefering Gladstone the politician - he was a right tosser in his personal choices really - saving prostitutes, self-flagellation and chopping down trees...

Disraeli wore purple trousers too.....ahh the spirit of the Tories....
Reply 16
yes, I bet you wouldn't have caught Gladstone dead in purple trousers. And lets not forget Gladstones intial pro-slavery attitude...so much for morality when family tradition is involved
Reply 17
Evil-Tuna
I would say that that is a bit harsh on Gladstone but i am too busy laughing at the idea of Gladstone collection Prostitutes lol :p:

Disraeli did have to climb to the top of a greasy pole, though :wink:.
Reply 18
Fiona87
Disraeli did have to climb to the top of a greasy pole, though :wink:.

haha...loving it! I do love this thread so..sigh!
Reply 19
Elspungo
haha...loving it! I do love this thread so..sigh!

Hehe! Ahh look how it started, though. What a shift :biggrin:! I think we're all properly informed now. Future students will thank us all when they read this. So Gladstone was down with the trees and the trousers, while Disraeli was up the poles and pleased with purple...pants (in the American sense, for alliteration's sake).

Latest

Trending

Trending