The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was.

If polytechnics were not turned into uni's then this country would be in an even more dire state than it is now. What would the youth of this country have done when there are no jobs at least this gets them out the way for a few years.
Reply 2
I personally think it was a bad decision.
Reply 3
SiaSiaSia
I personally think it was a bad decision.

Can I ask where the thousands of students who have gone to polytechnics this year were suppost to work if they hadn't changed them?

There are no jobs for young people.
Reply 4
hellohello.
Can I ask where the thousands of students who have gone to polytechnics this year were suppost to work if they hadn't changed them?

There are no jobs for young people because of grade inflation, everyone getting a degree now so a degree is more and more "useless", a lot of competition - for manual jobs from people who are willing to give cheap labour - and a bad economy which is only starting to improve.
Reply 5
It didn't really change that much. By 1992 polytechnics were practically universities in all but name (i.e people did degrees all the way up to the level of PhDs there, research was carried out there), so it was an obvious decicion to make them all into universities.

UK higher education is definately stronger for having all of the institutions as full Universities, rather than having a divide between universities and polytechnics.
Reply 6
SiaSiaSia
There are no jobs for young people because of grade inflation, everyone getting a degree now so a degree is more and more "useless", a lot of competition - for manual jobs from people who are willing to give cheap labour - and a bad economy which is only starting to improve.

I don't think a degree is that easy to get no matter what uni you go to. Yeh you could probably pass your first year no matter who you are but you really do have to be smart to do a dissertation and cope with the final year.

A degree is becoming useless I do agree with you but isn't it better for young people to at least be doing something rather than going to the job centre every two weeks. Which is what they would be doing right now without uni.
Reply 7
Frankly people who can't get in to a proper university i.e one that doesn't require only two D's at A-Level should not be going to university anyway. As for keeping them busy - they could be doing that on an apprenticeship or a vocational college course and would have something useful at the end rather than a degree in Tourism Studies from Crapford Brookes University. it also devalues all UK degrees.
Reply 8
hellohello.
I don't think a degree is that easy to get no matter what uni you go to. Yeh you could probably pass your first year no matter who you are but you really do have to be smart to do a dissertation and cope with the final year.

A degree is becoming useless I do agree with you but isn't it better for young people to at least be doing something rather than going to the job centre every two weeks. Which is what they would be doing right now without uni.

Apprenticeships? Vocational Courses?
Reply 9
How do people get into uni with two D's anyway? How many UCAS points is that lol.
SiaSiaSia
Apprenticeships? Vocational Courses?

The number of Apprenticeships has dwindled, it is extremely hard to get one these days.
Reply 11
hellohello.
How do people get into uni with two D's anyway? How many UCAS points is that lol.

I know someone who got into Nottingham Trent for English with DDUd, it even spells 'dud'! I'm entirely serious by the way.
Ehh, it's not that they were converted to universities is the problem, it's the fact that all these ex-polys suddenly interpreted that move as carte blanche to stop offering a wide range of technical courses and move into pseudo-humanities and non-subjects.

Give them some focus again.
hellohello.

They would still go to the polys but they would be doing vocational courses rather than degrees.

I think this seems like a bad idea for them to be universities, since if they aren't getting the grades at A-level they aren't very likely to go into academia/research or leading positions in their fields. And now people have less choice for where they want to go for vocational qualifications and are forced to do a degree.
_KilgoreTrout_
They would still go to the polys but they would be doing vocational courses rather than degrees.

I think this seems like a bad idea for them to be universities, since if they aren't getting the grades at A-level they aren't very likely to go into academia/research or leading positions in their fields. And now people have less choice for where they want to go for vocational qualifications and are forced to do a degree.

There are some polys that have higher entry requirements for certain courses than top tier universities.

Also I went to uni at Glasgow Caledonian which is a poly. I had the grades to get into Glasgow Uni, however, the course I wanted to do did not have a placement year at Glasgow so I opted for the poly in order to get more industry experience. I guess that means I am not going to be a 'leader in my field' :rolleyes:
_KilgoreTrout_
What do you think?

Also, if you wanted to do a non-academic degree-equivalent, NVQs and things, where do you go now?

Thanks

I'm not sure. I never really gave it much thought before.
Blátönn
Frankly people who can't get in to a proper university i.e one that doesn't require only two D's at A-Level should not be going to university anyway. As for keeping them busy - they could be doing that on an apprenticeship or a vocational college course and would have something useful at the end rather than a degree in Tourism Studies from Crapford Brookes University. it also devalues all UK degrees.

Whilst harshly worded, I kind of agree. If you can only scrape the barrel on A level grades, how on earth are you going to cope with university work? Save the cash (grants, student loan cash, per-head funding) for students actually capable of achieving
hellohello.
There are some polys that have higher entry requirements for certain courses than top tier universities.

Also I went to uni at Glasgow Caledonian which is a poly. I had the grades to get into Glasgow Uni, however, the course I wanted to do did not have a placement year at Glasgow so I opted for the poly in order to get more industry experience. I guess that means I am not going to be a 'leader in my field' :rolleyes:

So because you want to go the university it is better for thousands to have a more limited choice of where to go if they want to do vocational courses?

And you will have to prove me wrong by becoming a leader of what ever subject you are doing.
_KilgoreTrout_
So because you want to go the university it is better for thousands to have a more limited choice of where to go if they want to do vocational courses?

And you will have to prove me wrong by becoming a leader of what ever subject you are doing.

You are basically talking crap by saying that anyone who went to a Polytechnic will not do well in their career.

I don't even know what a 'vocational course' is nor am I interested.
Reply 19
hellohello.
You are basically talking crap by saying that anyone who went to a Polytechnic will not do well in their career.

I don't even know what a 'vocational course' is nor am I interested.

:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending