The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Aren't foreign languages compulsory at GCSE, or were until recently?
But to answer the question, as long as you have decent A levels (in terms of both subjects and grades), it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of English courses offer foreign literature components, but they're generally not compulsory and you don't necessarily need to have a foreign language to study them. As far as I know, the only required subject to study English at university as A level Eng Lit. Many universities say that they recommend subjects like History and Languages, but nothing else is compulsory. What are your A levels?
Reply 2
The foreign languages werent compulsory when it came to choosing my GCSE'S, first year I believe...my A levels are English lit, English Language, History and Politics. What do you reckon? Im predicted A/B in those.
Reply 3
GCSEs have changed...that makes me feel old.
Your grades and subjects sound reasonable to me, where are you thinking of applying? Have you checked out their recommended subjects and typical offers?
Reply 4
Well, I liked the look of York, but on their website it says that candidates should have a foreign language at GCSE level and preferably AS Level...which I dont :frown:
Reply 5
York's pretty good, and a lovely city. And they have a cool Viking living museum thing. Um...yeah...back on topic, if they only say that they prefer people to have languages, that shouldn't stop you. It's only if it's up there next to Eng Lit as an absolutely compulsory can't-do-the-course-without-it subject that you aren't eligible for the course.
Reply 6
Madelyn, if you're suspicious about other universities, though, you might want to phone them up, just to double check that there won't be a bias. It shouldn't be a problem, because if the curriculum has changed at GCSE and you don't have to study a foreign language, then they should expect to receive applications without them. I know that the York English Literature course has an Anglo-Saxon/Old English module in their foreign literature section, so if you haven't studied a foreign language to go with on this section of the course, you could opt for that, as it should be new to everyone anyway.

Citylover, you could argue that because you are studying English Language, you have gained good technical and observational skills, so while it isn't a foreign language in itself, it's a good framework to get you started. I studied German (up to AS-Level) and I found that the two subjects are complimentary. Might just be me though!
Reply 7
I think that with the compulsory foreign literature module at York, and the high numbers of good candidates applying there, you are likely to get rejected without at least a GCSE in a language. I think many good candidates may get turned away because they don't have an A level when compared to a similiar candidate who does. They have to distinquish between the applicants somehow. xx
Reply 8
York always seems to have a ridiculous number of applications each year...hmm...it's something to consider, but if you're really keen on York, definitely put it down, because I doubt they're going to have exactly the same criteria for everyone. Impress them in other ways :biggrin:.

I was about to reel off a story about how one person didn't get in, but the other person did, but I think you'll have either heard it all before or you will have heard it all, before Christmas is up! If you want to go, phone up the admissions tutor and talk to them about it and they'll tell you whether or not you should be worried. Now is a good time, I would have thought, because in a month or so, it'll be very busy with results day.

Latest

Trending

Trending