The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cool! I was going to apply this year, but like you I have Reading festival. I also thought this years visa would be too soon, no time to organise everything (I'd go out for the full year) as I am tied up with uni until June.

I'm going to apply for the 2011 visa and go out in February/March 2011 :smile: From what I have read, the group flight really isn't worth the extra money because most of the people you meet you will never speak or see again, its the time after that you will make all the friends you keep in contact with!

How long you planning on going out there for?
Reply 2
I'm doing Work Canada and going in September! Either Toronto or Vancouver, haven't decided yet. I don't know anyone who's going so it depends more on which place is nicer to live in and which has more jobs of the kind I want to get :smile:

Never been to Canada before! But I hear the people are lovely!
Where are you thinking of going to?
Reply 3
lazyswot
I'm doing Work Canada and going in September! Either Toronto or Vancouver, haven't decided yet. I don't know anyone who's going so it depends more on which place is nicer to live in and which has more jobs of the kind I want to get :smile:

Never been to Canada before! But I hear the people are lovely!
Where are you thinking of going to?

awesome! I've never been to canada either :smile: just gonna travel around a bit and find somewhere to settle. are you gonna fly independant? im paying my BUNAC fee tomorrow and securing my visa :biggrin: exciting!
Reply 4
I've just received my UK police check, so just gonna ask about the CV then send it all off! :biggrin: And about the CV, do you know how much of a definitive final version it has to be? Cos if it's the real deal I've got a lot of work to do on it....

I think I'm gonna fly with Bunac, just cos it's simpler and I think it would be good to meet fellow Bunac-ers on the plane since I don't know anyone. :smile:

I can't believe we're going to live in Canada! This is so exciting!! :woo:
Reply 5
lazyswot
I've just received my UK police check, so just gonna ask about the CV then send it all off! :biggrin: And about the CV, do you know how much of a definitive final version it has to be? Cos if it's the real deal I've got a lot of work to do on it....

I think I'm gonna fly with Bunac, just cos it's simpler and I think it would be good to meet fellow Bunac-ers on the plane since I don't know anyone. :smile:

If you have to rebuild your British CV, I would also recommend you do your Canadian Resume for use when you get out there. THat way it saves you the hassle whilst out there, and the only thing you need to change will be your address! http://seekers.jobbank.gc.ca/common-commun/login-connection.aspx?redirect=true&target=1&lang=en-CA or http://susanireland.com/resume/examples/ will help you on this process
Reply 6
lazyswot

are you already 18 then lazyswot? I can't 'apply' for the visa untill June because I'm not 18 yet. I didn't even think about CV's and resumes yet. Is the police check easy to get? I am literally after going to lunch gonna sit down with my dad and go through the BUNAC joining stuff :smile: exciting stuff.
Have you got the student visa? I can't get one because my uni offers aren't unconditional :frown: just getting the non-student one.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice ChrisBan :smile:

And Lasuil, yeah I'm actually 21 (but you wouldn't know, lol).
I'm finishing my degree in June (provided nothing goes horribly wrong) and since I never had a gap year or anything I feel like I've had no proper holiday without working since GCSEs, and I want to do something fun before I have to decide what to do next :biggrin: I got the student visa though, cos you can still get it within a year of being a student.

The police check's really easy to get, but I'd apply for it now even if you don't need it yet, cos getting it within 2 working days costs £70 whereas to get it in 10 working days (but realistically will take longer for posting both ways, weekends etc) costs £35. Oh, and make sure you get TWO copies cos getting one extra is only £5 instead of having to pay another £35.
I had to get one from France as well cos I lived there for a year, and I was really worried cos usually french beaurocracy takes lots of time and documents in triplicate, but it turned out it was much easier, simpler, quicker and it was free! That was a relief :smile:
Reply 8
lazyswot
Thanks for the advice ChrisBan :smile:

And Lasuil, yeah I'm actually 21 (but you wouldn't know, lol).
I'm finishing my degree in June (provided nothing goes horribly wrong) and since I never had a gap year or anything I feel like I've had no proper holiday without working since GCSEs, and I want to do something fun before I have to decide what to do next :biggrin: I got the student visa though, cos you can still get it within a year of being a student.

The police check's really easy to get, but I'd apply for it now even if you don't need it yet, cos getting it within 2 working days costs £70 whereas to get it in 10 working days (but realistically will take longer for posting both ways, weekends etc) costs £35. Oh, and make sure you get TWO copies cos getting one extra is only £5 instead of having to pay another £35.
I had to get one from France as well cos I lived there for a year, and I was really worried cos usually french beaurocracy takes lots of time and documents in triplicate, but it turned out it was much easier, simpler, quicker and it was free! That was a relief :smile:

well I am pretty screwed ^^ went to pay the fee and it told me there are no non-student visa's left, although they told me there would be places left untill the end of january.
have just them a few very upset emails :frown:
i'm so upset...i feel like crying.
Reply 9
:eek: Oh no!! I'm so sorry :frown:
They've really run out of visas this year, it's crazy. Maybe loads of people are going abroad cos they cant get jobs here?

That really sucks. Had you not even done the first application step? I hope there's something they can do when the offices open tomorrow.
If all else fails and they don't have an visas left and they can't do anything, you could just apply for a working visa yourself and go to the SWAP offices in Canada anyway? :console:
Reply 10
lazyswot
:eek: Oh no!! I'm so sorry :frown:
They've really run out of visas this year, it's crazy. Maybe loads of people are going abroad cos they cant get jobs here?

That really sucks. Had you not even done the first application step? I hope there's something they can do when the offices open tomorrow.
If all else fails and they don't have an visas left and they can't do anything, you could just apply for a working visa yourself and go to the SWAP offices in Canada anyway? :console:

I too am sorry to hear about this :frown: Its not possible to get the same visa through any other method :frown: If you go to visa inquiries on the official Canada website it just sends you back to BUNAC :frown:
Reply 11
well i guess i will have to wait and see if anyone drops out later in the year, they said there's no waiting list but they will contact people in the database later if anyone drops out. nevermind, im not gonna let that dampen my spirits :smile: maybe i'll just go somewhere else!
go to australia its alot better for young people and there are no limits for the visa www.ozintro.com
good luck :smile:
Elin
Got confirmation about a week ago that everything had been sent to the CHC.. Just a matter of waiting now, 4 to 6 weeks of being on tenderhooks and convinced they're going to reject me for no reason lol. If it all works out though, should be in Toronto by about June.. I think. Couple things that are suddenly making me rethink everything, hah.
Reply 14
Guitarless Hero
Got confirmation about a week ago that everything had been sent to the CHC.. Just a matter of waiting now, 4 to 6 weeks of being on tenderhooks and convinced they're going to reject me for no reason lol. If it all works out though, should be in Toronto by about June.. I think. Couple things that are suddenly making me rethink everything, hah.

Whats making you rethink! Its almost a once in a lifetime opportunity. It gets much more difficult when you get older, buy a house and start a family to shift it all over to another country!

You'll be fine, just stick with it! You going out for the full year and got yourself a job lined up?
ChrisBan
Whats making you rethink! Its almost a once in a lifetime opportunity. It gets much more difficult when you get older, buy a house and start a family to shift it all over to another country!

You'll be fine, just stick with it! You going out for the full year and got yourself a job lined up?

Going for the full year yeah, not got a job lined up yet though. I'll probably end up with something retail, working in a store so I'll be sending out my resume everywhere before I go though, or the day I get there.. least that's the plan.

And just stupid things that are making me feel like staying here is easier/safer. All because I'm bricking it tbh, lived in the same town all my life.. Going to a complete new country, for a year, not knowing anyone.. Slightly daunting, haha.
Reply 16
Hi :smile:
Im heading out to vancouver sep 2010 on a student work visa, then hopefully to banff for the ski season! Very exciting stuff, going all alone though..

Got my confirmation through the other day saying I had been accepted :biggrin:

Lasuil - couldnt you apply for another uni, get an unconditional offer, then apply for student visa?!?
Reply 17
Guitarless Hero
Going for the full year yeah, not got a job lined up yet though. I'll probably end up with something retail, working in a store so I'll be sending out my resume everywhere before I go though, or the day I get there.. least that's the plan.

And just stupid things that are making me feel like staying here is easier/safer. All because I'm bricking it tbh, lived in the same town all my life.. Going to a complete new country, for a year, not knowing anyone.. Slightly daunting, haha.

A natural feeling! You will be fine though :yep:
Hey guys,

Sent off my student visa 2 weeks ago, so should hopefully be flying out in September...that's if they accept my application! Out of you guys, who is going on the group flight?? Will be living in Toronto for a year but am going on me todd, so it'd be nice to go on a group flight out there.

Oh, n does anybody know if there is a facebook group for bunacer's going this year??
Reply 19
SRVvelvetslash
Hey guys,

Sent off my student visa 2 weeks ago, so should hopefully be flying out in September...that's if they accept my application! Out of you guys, who is going on the group flight?? Will be living in Toronto for a year but am going on me todd, so it'd be nice to go on a group flight out there.

Oh, n does anybody know if there is a facebook group for bunacer's going this year??

Hey, hope you have a good time! There isn't a specific 2010 group, but there is a general BUNAC group that you can find here http://www.facebook.com/BUNACworkabroad a few people have posted for Canada on the discussion boards there!

Quick Reply

Latest