The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ShaolinTemple
Toronto or Vancouver? In terms of living costs and finding a job. I booked the flight to Toronto already but BUNAC said I can change the flight to Vancouver. Toronto looks like a dump lol

Toronto is the furthest thing from a dump. It is right on Lake Ontario, so the views from a lot of places in the city are stunning. If you drive North or West for a while you get to the most beautiful lakes, and whole Province is full of trees. Toronto itself is a really, really nice city. I'm not really a city person, but I loved it.
I know, I'm basing all my opinions of Toronto on Google :P
Well I've finally got everything sorted...flights n all. Will be on the September 8th flight to Toronto....can't bloody wait!! Anybody else gonna be on this flight because so far I haven't heard of anyone on it. Just hoping there will be a few others so the extra money I paid for a group flight was worth it!
Hey guys!

So i'm applying for the Bunac work visa when they re-open in December. I wish it was this year but need to save money first! :rolleyes: I'm just wondering if the visa application is pretty easy to fill out? Do you need to upload your cv aswell? Aww i wish it was this year i'm going but going to apply the 1st day they open so trying to get as much info as possible :biggrin:
Reply 84
daydream believer
Hey guys!

So i'm applying for the Bunac work visa when they re-open in December. I wish it was this year but need to save money first! :rolleyes: I'm just wondering if the visa application is pretty easy to fill out? Do you need to upload your cv aswell? Aww i wish it was this year i'm going but going to apply the 1st day they open so trying to get as much info as possible :biggrin:

Hello! Welcome. I originally didn't think you did, but you need to upload a 1 page cv.

The following link should give you a heads up of what to have ready for that date in December :biggrin:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/members/forms/workCanada/programmeConditions.pdf
Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for the work visa without going through BUNAC? I just want to get the visa and sort everything else out on my own so it would be nice to save the £200 fee they charge! Has anyone done this before?
Also, going through BUNAC does this sound realistic for the costs involved:
BUNAC fee £200
visa fee £100
Police check £35/£40
plus flights and insurance...
Does anyone know what the restrictions are on flights and insurance - do you need to have return flights booked or is one way ok? also, do you need insurance?!!
Hi Kev,

As far as I know, you can only go through Bunac to get the temporary work visa as they have a special agreement with the Canadian High Commission. So you kinda have to suck it up in regards to the £200. You get all the proper information though as Bunac sort all the visa application out for you, so all you have to do is fill out the forms. For flights you HAVE to get a return flight....this is the deal with the visa. Just so they know that you ARE going to return home after your visa is up. Insurance is also needed and Bunac require you to have this before they give you your work authorisation letter. The thing with both of these though is that you don't have to go through Bunac directly to get flights and insurance. If you did it would cost a lot more and there is no real benefit to paying the extra fees.

One bit of advice would be to not get really cheap insurance as if something does happen and you have to claim then you won't get much of a pay out, if at all. The group flights may be worth it if you want to meet some people in the same boat as you, if not you can always wait til you get to a hostel.

Anyhoo, this is all from what I have found out as I'm off to Toronto in september. Hope this helps!
Reply 87
kev_gallagher
Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for the work visa without going through BUNAC? I just want to get the visa and sort everything else out on my own so it would be nice to save the £200 fee they charge! Has anyone done this before?
Also, going through BUNAC does this sound realistic for the costs involved:
BUNAC fee £200
visa fee £100
Police check £35/£40
plus flights and insurance...
Does anyone know what the restrictions are on flights and insurance - do you need to have return flights booked or is one way ok? also, do you need insurance?!!

Yep, you can only get the visa via BUNAC. The Canadian government will simply link you back to BUNAC. Whilst the fees may seem expensive, it will be well worth it! You are also required to get insurance as part of the terms of the visa

SRVvelvetslash
Hi Kev,

As far as I know, you can only go through Bunac to get the temporary work visa as they have a special agreement with the Canadian High Commission. So you kinda have to suck it up in regards to the £200. You get all the proper information though as Bunac sort all the visa application out for you, so all you have to do is fill out the forms. For flights you HAVE to get a return flight....this is the deal with the visa. Just so they know that you ARE going to return home after your visa is up. Insurance is also needed and Bunac require you to have this before they give you your work authorisation letter. The thing with both of these though is that you don't have to go through Bunac directly to get flights and insurance. If you did it would cost a lot more and there is no real benefit to paying the extra fees.

One bit of advice would be to not get really cheap insurance as if something does happen and you have to claim then you won't get much of a pay out, if at all. The group flights may be worth it if you want to meet some people in the same boat as you, if not you can always wait til you get to a hostel.

Anyhoo, this is all from what I have found out as I'm off to Toronto in september. Hope this helps!

As for you "SRVvelvetslash" I'm thinking of Toronto next April/May. Update us on how you find getting accomodation (what you did to get it) and job hunting. I've signed up on that Facebook group but unsurprisingly most people head to Vancouver! On that note, are you doing the group flight... because again it seems hardly anyone goes to Toronto.
Hey ChrisBan,

Ye, will let you know how I find things. From all the things I've read it shouldn't be too difficult to find accomodation of work. Craigslist is a great website for all of that stuff and I'm trawling through that atm. It gives you a feel for the kind of thing you'll be looking for when your there along with prices, etc.

As for the group flight, ye I'm doin' it. Like you said, surprisingly not a lot of people are heading out to Toronto.....makes me wonder if I'm gonna meet anyone on the flight at all! If I don't I've always got there hostel when I arrive I suppose. :s-smilie:

But definately check out craigslist (http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/). Has all kinds of stuff on it. :biggrin:
One question, are the hostels shared bedrooms or single?
Reply 90
Remember if you're going to have about $3000 saved up before hand.

When you go to get somewhere to live they'll want first and last month rent up front and that won't be cheap. Don't think you can turn up with the minimum £550 as stipulated by BUNAC/Canadian Commission and survive.
Reply 91
Lasuil
I'm pretty dead cert on the November 6th BUNAC group flight to Vancouver. I'm getting excited now :biggrin: just need to wait to see if I get my uni place confirmed (need to get 2 B's) and then I can change onto the student programme :smile: if I send in my application on like the 21st August do you reckon that would be time for a November flight? How long have peoples applications taken to go through generally?

Hows all the planning going... you def going on the november flight now?
Reply 92
ChrisBan
Hows all the planning going... you def going on the november flight now?

Not really much planning I can do now untill I get my grades :smile: going to send off for my police check shortly though and rewrite my CV. On 19th August I will know whether I'm switching onto the student programme, or if I won't be able to go...but it seems unlikely I'll not get the grades I need. I want to go on the November 10th group flight to Vancouver but do you think there will actually be anyone else booked onto the flight? I don't wanna stump up the extra cash to find noone is going on my flight xD
Reply 93
Lasuil
Not really much planning I can do now untill I get my grades :smile: going to send off for my police check shortly though and rewrite my CV. On 19th August I will know whether I'm switching onto the student programme, or if I won't be able to go...but it seems unlikely I'll not get the grades I need. I want to go on the November 10th group flight to Vancouver but do you think there will actually be anyone else booked onto the flight? I don't wanna stump up the extra cash to find noone is going on my flight xD

Well hopefully its all good for you! Ermm Vancouver certainly seems the more popular of the destinations, there isn't anything yet on the Facebook group regarding anyone on it. I'm sure there will be though!
Reply 94
ChrisBan
Well hopefully its all good for you! Ermm Vancouver certainly seems the more popular of the destinations, there isn't anything yet on the Facebook group regarding anyone on it. I'm sure there will be though!

You've probably seen me posting on the Facebook group ^.^ my name is Katie Hughes...trying to find people going at the sort of time :3
Reply 95
Lasuil

Best of luck on the 19th Lasuil! Just to let you know we usually tend to get about 15-20 people per group flight so don't worry - you won't be on your own! :smile:
Reply 96
BUNAC
Best of luck on the 19th Lasuil! Just to let you know we usually tend to get about 15-20 people per group flight so don't worry - you won't be on your own! :smile:

Hi BUNAC... what about the Toronto flights? Also, I've been assuming (and hoping) the applications for 2011 will open up at some point in December.. would this be roughly right?
Reply 97
ChrisBan
Hi BUNAC... what about the Toronto flights? Also, I've been assuming (and hoping) the applications for 2011 will open up at some point in December.. would this be roughly right?

Hey Chris,

In previous years, Vancouver has been a slightly more popular destination that Toronto but it's definitely catching up in the past year. We usually get 10-15 participants per group flight. If you'd like to chat to Work Canada members, feel free to visit BUNAC's Work Canada facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BUNACworkabroad#!/bunaccanada?ref=ts

At the moment, we don't have any confirmed information from the Canadian High Commission regarding when the visas will be available for next year but the non-student programme usually opens in December. Remember to sign up to our newsletter so you will be first to know when the programme reopens!

Don't forget, BUNAC also have year-long programmes to New Zealand and Australia with no student requirements. Feel free to get in touch if you have any other queries!
Reply 98
BUNAC

I got my grades and switched onto the student programme ^_^
So I've now booked my flight, going on the November 10th Group flight to Vancouver...however I also booked 3 extra nights at the hostel where BUNAC take you when you arrive - do you happen to know if these are private rooms in the hostel or shared? It was £25 a night so I doubt they're private but it'd be good to know. Thanks.
Reply 99
Lasuil
I got my grades and switched onto the student programme ^_^
So I've now booked my flight, going on the November 10th Group flight to Vancouver...however I also booked 3 extra nights at the hostel where BUNAC take you when you arrive - do you happen to know if these are private rooms in the hostel or shared? It was £25 a night so I doubt they're private but it'd be good to know. Thanks.

Check up on www.hostelworld.com and you should be able to work it out roughly. It could be shared... although from the quick search on there there doesn't seem to be much price variation between the two. I always thought private rooms were triple the price!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest