The Student Room Group

retaking gcses for access course

Hi all,
I am starting an access course in september, but need to retake my gcses in maths and english (as i only got grade d at school), I am 36 years old , could anyone give me any advise on the best way to go about retakes please, can I study for them on my own and just apply to aqa to take the exam?, or do I have to study at college?, also does anyone know if the adult certificate in maths and english that learndirect offer would be equal to gcses or not?
sorry for longwinded post but dont really know where to start ,I want to try and get the gcses before the access course starts as it will be hard to do them at the same time (I have 6 children at home so fairly limited in evenings i can study at college)
any help greatly appreciated
lou x
Reply 1
Hi, I didn't need to take or re-take any. At my local Uni, it's taught compulsary anyway at level 2 (GCSE level) in Maths and English, then you choose which higher level (level 3) subjects you wish to take relevant to what degree you want to go for.
It kinda works out at the end of your course you have obtained the equivalent of 2 GCSE's and 3 A levels.

If you do want actual GCSEs you can always choose to go buy some Gcse revision and exercise books, self study, and enroll as an external student (maybe at a 6th form college) and you go in and sit the exams when they are held.
The other option is you can do night school - the benefit of this is you always have a tutor to ask questions etc. You dont get alot of help if your an external student.

Anything level 2 is GCSE equivalent as far as I know.
Reply 2
Check with your local college, many have courses starting in January, if you're lucky you could take them now before September.

Are you planning to do the access course full or part time? If you're doing part time, it'll be easy to fit them in around your other subjects. There are a few full-timers on my course juggling everything in a year, it's definitely do-able :smile:
Reply 3
Cant you do them as part of your access course?? I am doing 2 x level 2's and 2x level 3's.
Reply 4
On my access course anyone with Maths/English GCSE lower than C could do them as part of the course - either just as a level 2 exam or if they needed to they could sit the GSCE. My friend did that cos our degree specified C or above at GCSE.

Check with your access course if the opportunity to do these GCSEs are included, I would be surprised if it wasn't. Good luck x

Latest

Trending

Trending