The Student Room Group

The Buckfast Code

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kates:)
What does it taste like?

kinda hard to explain lol.. like a mix of cola, raisins, vanilla and soap :p:

one of those things you have to taste for yourself
im not allowed to drink it anymore, it was my tipple when i was at uni and broke. but i got serious mood swings and im not a violent person but nearly every time i drank bucky i ended up in an argument where i eventually told everyone i would "take them all on" good times lol.
buckfast challenge is always a laugh, see who can neck the bottle in the fastest time?
oh and there is something about the numbers on them like 1 to some other number under hundred cant remember the top number. anyway it was supposedly to let you know how sweet/bitter it would be on the scale, sounds cool but i dunno if it is true or just a myth.
macattack_
oh and there is something about the numbers on them like 1 to some other number under hundred cant remember the top number. anyway it was supposedly to let you know how sweet/bitter it would be on the scale, sounds cool but i dunno if it is true or just a myth.

It's batch numbers. 50 bottles in a barrel, 1 is the 1st out and 50 is the last. You draw the wine from the bottom of the barrel, so a 1 is the sweetest because the sugar sinks.
Buckfast is a scapegoat imo, though that much caffeine can't be good for you!

Gotta try the stuff! Shame it isn't sold in London/Portsmouth :frown:
Reply 25
Buckfast is disgusting. Funny to watch others drink it in uni though, one of the guys on y floor tried to drink a pint of it in one

if going for the caffiene/drink route, jagerbombs are much more yummy

And I think it's more people drink bucky becuse its what neds do rather than buckfast makes them violent
Reply 26
Gardocki
It isn't really that cheap is it?

£6.50? and in my opinion has the same effect as a good bit of bacardi, which is well more expensive? not that i condone drinking to get drunk of course. i actually really like the taste, its a bit like cough medicine.
Romystarr
£6.50? and in my opinion has the same effect as a good bit of bacardi, which is well more expensive? not that i condone drinking to get drunk of course. i actually really like the taste, its a bit like cough medicine.

White Lightening and Mad Dog are both cheaper than the "wreck the hoose juice" and £6.50 is pretty dear when it comes to the, aherm, cheaper drinks.

Much more lethal than Bacardi as well, although Rum has a higher alcohol content the caffeine and sugar ***** you up (especially the next morning).

EDIT: It used to be £4.50 only a few years ago, and wasn't even considered cheap then.
Reply 28
Celtic_Anthony
White Lightening and Mad Dog are both cheaper than the "wreck the hoose juice" and £6.50 is pretty dear when it comes to the, aherm, cheaper drinks.

Much more lethal than Bacardi as well, although Rum has a higher alcohol content the caffeine and sugar ***** you up (especially the next morning).

EDIT: It used to be £4.50 only a few years ago, and wasn't even considered cheap then.

white lightening is RANK though, i think bucky is a little bit (albeit not much) classier... :P
Romystarr
white lightening is RANK though, i think bucky is a little bit (albeit not much) classier... :P
Never drank White Lightening, but, having seen my mate on it, I'm inclined to agree.

Bucky is really, really trendy with some poncy middle-class students nowadays too (experiencing the misspent youth they never had, maybe) so I'd maybe, maybe go along with you that it's classier.
Reply 30
I was out saturday night and a fella tried to bottle me with an empty buckfast. needless to say i lamped him.
Reply 31
kates:)
What does it taste like?

Go to the BBC link and click the 'Buckfast tasting at Harvey Nichols' video.

Celtic_Anthony
Bucky is really, really trendy with some poncy middle-class students nowadays too (experiencing the misspent youth they never had, maybe) so I'd maybe, maybe go along with you that it's classier.

Do they still sponsor the Glasgow Uni rugby team?

*snigger*
Reply 32
L i b
How did I know this thread would basically turn into a Who's Who of Scottish TSRians...:p:

Eh, don't forget me.

Anyway, I'd sooner quaff the contents of a Portaloo on the last night of T in the Park than Buckfast.
Reply 33
Need to catch the programme on iPlayer still, but really, the occasional bottle or two of buckfast is one of those little pleasures in life that I would be loathe to live without. It's great to use for cooking as well.
You can buy it in Peterborough but not found anywhere in London that sells it. In Pboro all the drunks drink it in the underpasses... that or Wifebeater.

MadDog is sweet and nicer than Buckfast tbf
Reply 35
foxo
Eh, don't forget me.

Anyway, I'd sooner quaff the contents of a Portaloo on the last night of T in the Park than Buckfast.

I always assumed you were quite an open-minded sort of chap, Foxo. Then again, perhaps I've misunderstood your post and perhaps you really do have a genuine penchant for guzzling-down the sloppy stools of Kinross-shire revellers.

I<3LAMP
You can buy it in Peterborough but not found anywhere in London that sells it. In Pboro all the drunks drink it in the underpasses... that or Wifebeater.

Stella? That's a rather pricey drink for a tramp. Are you sure they aren't just local civic dignitaries whose wives won't let them drink in the house?

nikdc5
Need to catch the programme on iPlayer still, but really, the occasional bottle or two of buckfast is one of those little pleasures in life that I would be loathe to live without. It's great to use for cooking as well.

Yes, I hear it's an excellent substitute for syrup.
L i b indeed they are!!! They are still drunks nonetheless..on the dole as per. .... i guess that pays for it I guess at £1 a tin
Reply 37
L i b
I always assumed you were quite an open-minded sort of chap, Foxo. Then again, perhaps I've misunderstood your post and perhaps you really do have a genuine penchant for guzzling-down the sloppy stools of Kinross-shire revellers.

You have. That's the definition of "good s***", you won't pass a drugs test for at least five years after one sip.
L i b

Do they still sponsor the Glasgow Uni rugby team?

*snigger*

Right, two things. Glasgow Uni doesn't have a rugby team after the last lot acted like a bunch of dicks, they play under another name now. Secondly, and slightly at a tangent, my first taste of Buckfast was on a rugby trip in 3rd year, courtesy of some lads at St Ambrose High in Belshill! Rugby is all working class 'n 'at now.
Reply 39
Celtic_Anthony

you can get 2 for £9.50 at one of the shops round here

Quick Reply

Latest