The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Photo Thread

I don't think we have one of these - or if we do, it's ancient and we need a new one. The aim is to collect images that a prospective student would find helpful (and to distract current students from studying).

If anyone wants to link/post any useful photos to St Andrews University or the town, then go for it.

It would keep the thread tidy if you could put pictures in
[noparse][/noparse]
or
[noparse][/noparse]
tags, and that way people can open up the images as they want.

It might also work well if you mention some keywords in a post, so that the pictures are easier to find when reading the thread and with the search function.

If we get lots of pictures, then I am happy to link them all from this post and sort them into relevant sections - e.g. the bop, accommodation, departments, facilities, scenic stuff, whatever...

Finally, it might be worth avoiding photos of people who haven't consented to have them here :biggrin:
If in doubt, use
:awesome:
to cover their face :biggrin: :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good plan! Wow, I have many MANY a photo... where to start....! :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
argh can't work the tags, I'll repost this later.
I forgot to say that attaching pictures is also fine :smile:

Attached: A week's menu from McIntosh, just to give people an idea of what food might be like in catered halls.
*Bump*

Attached Photos:
- West Sands
- Sunset from the pier

Please let me know if it would help to have bigger/smaller pictures, or anything else, and I will try to facilitate :yes:
Reply 5
These are really helpful, thanks! It looks like a lot of small beach towns in the North East, actually, which is fine by me :biggrin:
Reply 6
West Sands in snow :

View of town from one of the golf courses:

West sands on a sunny day recently:
Reply 7
St Andrews is now on google street view, for those interested
Aihara
West Sands in snow :

View of town from one of the golf courses:

West sands on a sunny day recently:

Those pics are gorgeous!!! :biggrin:
I'm really rather impressed with Google street view, I'd definitely recommend having a look at key buildings/areas of the town on there.

With that in mind, it would be good if current students could upload/link photos of things 'out of reach' of Google - e.g. communal areas of halls, facilities in academic buildings, or perhaps your bedroom [maybe at the end of May, when you're moving out and it's emptier - mine's always a mess :biggrin:]. It would also be helpful to make a few wee comments on what aspects are fairly standard and what aspects aren't so typical. Thankye :biggrin:

[/procrastination :wink: ]

Edit: Also, prospective students, please make suggestions of any stuff you'd like to see :smile:
Reply 10
Hey, Im starting at St Andrews in Sept and was wondering if i could get some opinions?? I've put down to go into self catered, standard accom - which pretty much means Albany or Fife Park, but am now getting a bit worried that theyre the more anti social choices...? Would anyone recommend catered instead?
Photos of those two would be much appreciated too, thanks :smile: x
Reply 11

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

the feeling I get in my stomach because of these pictures is overwhelming. I am so excited, scared and completely elated and I haven't even left. I am still waiting for a word on my Visa but I hope I get it soon. My flight leaves the 17th and I am going to be staying at Gregory Place. Does anyone have pictures of Gregory Place? Either way, lovely and amazing pictures you have!
Reply 13

Spoiler

Reply 14

Spoiler

Pretty average photograph taken on a snow day on 23rd November 2008.

- Lucia
:smile:
Reply 15
When this photo was taken I was running around some where to the right (out of shot) trying to hit the people in the photo with snowballs!
Reply 16
Murphyen
When this photo was taken I was running around some where to the right (out of shot) trying to hit the people in the photo with snowballs!

:biggrin:
Reply 17
Lucia.

Spoiler

Pretty average photograph taken on a snow day on 23rd November 2008.

- Lucia
:smile:

do students always wear gowns? or was something particular on? im new to st andrews starting in september and i keep seeing people ask if we have to buy gowns!
Reply 18
misslily
do students always wear gowns? or was something particular on? im new to st andrews starting in september and i keep seeing people ask if we have to buy gowns!

very very rarely do we have wear gowns. worn on the gaudie (torchlit pier walk), that's about it. of course some people just wear them every now and then for a bit of fun.
Reply 19
misslily

you don't have to it depends what you do - if you sing in a choir you should get one, if you want to attend debates you will get good use out of one likewise for chapel; otherwise you will only wear them on certain days like St Andrews Day, The Gaudie, The pier walk, graduation etc - they're pretty awesome, pick up a second hand one if you can - infact there is one going quite cheeply at the moment on www.thesinner.net

Latest

Trending

Trending