The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

S_123
I like Facebook. And I like nosing... :ninja:

Who doesn't? It seems Facebook was made to peer into other people's lives.
Student2806
Facebook was dead to me the second my mother sent me a friend invitation. It's a no win situation - you can't ignore your own mum, but accept her and she's basically infiltrated your social life :dry: Parents are not meant to know what their kids get up to at university, but now she can see ******* photos of it 24/7...

This is hilarious, thank god my mum doesn't know how to turn on the computer :smile:

My (senior) relatives haven't so far discovered FB, but I do get the feeling that it's boring and repetitive. It'll come to an end sooner or later.
Reply 62
I don't have a Facebook, but I think I'll get one at the start of uni just because it'll be a quick way to get in contact with lots of new people initially. Then, get their numbers, and delete it. :rolleyes:
Reply 63
I'm still addicted to it. I'm in a situation where almost all of my close friends I don't get to see that often. Facebook is a quick and easy way of keeping in touch and means that we're still close. Letters and emails are good too, but facebook means the communication is more instant so it makes it easier to cope with living so far away (in some cases) or being so busy with various things that it's hard to meet up (in a few others).
Reply 64
I hate social networking sites.
I think a lot of people take facebook FAR too seriously.

That includes the people who update their status every 10 minutes or tag too many photos, and those burst a blood vessel because somebody on their friends list updates their status every 10 minutes or tags too many photos.

I use it for certain things, it's useful. And I just ignore all the crap/people I don't care about.
facebook chat has huge technical issues .. suprised they havent been fixed considering how big facebook is
Reply 67
Annie72
Unless their page is private :p: :ninjagirl: .....just cancels out any ideas I may have had.

Ah that is annoying :laugh:
Reply 68
Feesh
Facebook Chat needs to be improved, every time I get a message it ******* freezes my computer for about 5 seconds, drives me nuts!

maybe you should upgrade from an oscilloscope stuck into a phone line.
Student2806
Facebook was dead to me the second my mother sent me a friend invitation. It's a no win situation - you can't ignore your own mum, but accept her and she's basically infiltrated your social life :dry: Parents are not meant to know what their kids get up to at university, but now she can see ******* photos of it 24/7...

that's why they invented "limited profile" :wink:

and you can make everything private to certain people now anyway.

I like having facebook, it's a very useful way of keeping in contact with your friends.
Reply 70
to people whining about having family etc on there, how about....just not accepting their friend request?
It'll be around until the next social networking site comes along, i'd give it four years before everyone's on something different, maybe with great audio and video features.
There are two problems I find with Facebook. If you don't sign in for a while - you miss events.
"Why weren't you at so and so's party? We invited you on Facebook" - I don't like to think that everyone just assumes you always use it and often won't contact you another way.

The second problem is... if you do happen to take a camera anywhere, people will pester you to put photos up and pester you to take photos all night long to put up...
If you don't have anything up or 'tagged' it makes you look like a recluse, but I refuse to take my camera out when I am supposed to be having a good time...
Useless chat and annoying tags.
Reply 74
Way too many kids on these days.

It's more and more like MySpace mk.2

And all this **** recently about people being fans of random situations, rather than being a fan or a product.

You should be a fan of a: brand, product, fetish, sport, club etc.

You shouldn't be a fan of: "When you randomly think, I forgot my wallet lulululululul" and "I'm a massive flaming ****, I wonder why"

It's always the 14-16 year olds who end up being fans of those pages.
I don't have facebook because I have msn. Why would someone need both?
Tabris
And all this **** recently about people being fans of random situations, rather than being a fan or a product.

You should be a fan of a: brand, product, fetish, sport, club etc.

You shouldn't be a fan of: "When you randomly think, I forgot my wallet lulululululul" and "I'm a massive flaming ****, I wonder why"

It's always the 14-16 year olds who end up being fans of those pages.

The last bit is unfortunately not true. It seems to extend far beyond that age range from my experience.

Facebook is good for the rofl though. Some groups on facebook result in such humourous wall posts which never fails to make me laugh. Mainly anti immigrant groups and the like. I did see one the other day with people refusing to believe that England was part of Great Britain :wink:
Reply 77
Oh, there are some people around my age (21) who do it as well. But it's a lot more common as people get younger.

Like my friend's little brother will become a fan of about 10 of those pages per day, whereas someone my age will become a fan of 4 or something.

It's all still bad though haha
Tabris
Oh, there are some people around my age (21) who do it as well. But it's a lot more common as people get younger.

Like my friend's little brother will become a fan of about 10 of those pages per day, whereas someone my age will become a fan of 4 or something.

It's all still bad though haha

Wow. They can do that these days? Science, eh.

(I know you probably mean average user age.)
Social network sites are great for looking up people from your past.
And by that I don't mean stalking someone, I mean old friends.

Before facebook I used friends reunited which is ok but not great.
But when every started using facebook and it became the thing to do, I have found dozens of old school friends. Last year I got in touch with half a dozen old friends who I haven't seen or heard from in a decade, some even longer.

So in that context it's good.

I don't play any of the games though.
I used to but I don't have the time, nor would I be bothered if I did have the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending