The Student Room Group

the "dyslexia" excuse EXTRA TIME! WTH?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
you wait till you go to uni... if your jealous now about exam time.. wait until the gov throws loads of money at dyslexic students (a little bit more than is needed imo)
Also exam markers are trained to read handwriting, if they cant read it it gets passed on to another examiner. You don't even get marked for handwriting qualities in year 6 SATs let alone anything else! Also if your handwriting is that bad, you would have been advised to get a scribe by your teacher and/or exam board.
Reply 22
Nick_000
Whats dislexic? DO you mean dispraxic when you cant breath like? It fait for extra time if you cnat breaht surely

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=2Wz&q=define%3A+dyslexic&btnG=Search&meta=
your not really making a valid argument really are you
obviously theres testing ...obviously its justified that they get the extra time
they need the extra time to read through the exam and write it out not to spend longer on the questions to get it right the just take longer to do the basic
it doesnt mean they're getting better grades than you because of the extra time
Reply 24
samzurai
ditto
in terms of maths mocks me and him have simliar grades, hell he probably gets a few percentages more than me, but we did an exam recently and i made a calculation error and he did too, but after an hour (when my exam had finished) he spotted it and made ammendments which is an extra 5 MARKS which potentially could have increased your grade!

I think that is called dyscaluler or something like that, thats the one with numbers i believe
Reply 25
This thread is unbelievable.

"ok fair enough but why openly show off about it? IMO thats inexcusable"

Show off? Do you really think they will want to 'show off' about having difficulty with reading and spelling? They get extra time because they need it, and you don't because you don't have difficulties. Dyslexia doesn't effect your IQ!
Reply 26
JosieMcfeene
Also exam markers are trained to read handwriting, if they cant read it it gets passed on to another examiner. You don't even get marked for handwriting qualities in year 6 SATs let alone anything else! Also if your handwriting is that bad, you would have been advised to get a scribe by your teacher and/or exam board.

Some of us are a little bit past year 6 SATs and 'teachers' when we make references to exams :wink:
Reply 27
I'm dyslexic, however I feel it's not exactly fair on others because seriously... if you have some fatal disease on the exam day then fair enough, but extra time for dyslexia, especially in say.. a maths exam, it doesn't make sense.

P.S. I've never claimed extra time myself
Reply 28
DaniLou17
your not really making a valid argument really are you
obviously theres testing ...obviously its justified that they get the extra time
they need the extra time to read through the exam and write it out not to spend longer on the questions to get it right the just take longer to do the basic
it doesnt mean they're getting better grades than you because of the extra time

trust me there are flaws, this guy hasn't had no records of dyslexia in gcse, nor in his life somehow he is diagnosed in a-levels? Ok fair enough it can happen but why tell me he tricked the school? And i very regeretably overheard a convo this his mate were he was literally explaining the steps!:eek: , all i wanted was some people's opinion about this and is he lying! As he seems to really shove it in my face the past few days
Reue
Some of us are a little bit past year 6 SATs and 'teachers' when we make references to exams :wink:

Touché!
But I'm just saying it's making it sound like he would get marked down because of his handwriting, which (as far as i'm aware) only happens in primary school tests...
Reply 30
Firekites
This thread is unbelievable.

"ok fair enough but why openly show off about it? IMO thats inexcusable"

Show off? Do you really think they will want to 'show off' about having difficulty with reading and spelling? They get extra time because they need it, and you don't because you don't have difficulties. Dyslexia doesn't effect your IQ!

this is the feature they like to flash around
Reply 31
xSkyFire
I'm dyslexic, however I feel it's not exactly fair on others because seriously... if you have some fatal disease on the exam day then fair enough, but extra time for dyslexia, especially in say.. a maths exam, it doesn't make sense.

P.S. I've never claimed extra time myself

Sorry its discalculer when its numbers, soorrry about the spelling must be my Dyslexia!
Reply 32
Sorry, but have you not heard of a man called Albert Einstein?
Reply 33
JosieMcfeene
Touché!
But I'm just saying it's making it sound like he would get marked down because of his handwriting, which (as far as i'm aware) only happens in primary school tests...

For me it was more of not being able to complete my essays in the allocated time due to slow handwriting.
Reply 34
Jealousy is a terrible thing.
Reply 35
Anomoly

Your right Jealousy is an awful thing!
Reply 36
Anomoly

yh i think your right i need to cool down! Today been a rough day and i've seen too many students laughing away, i mean many students get good grades without extra time meh i don't need it what am i kidding:biggrin:
samzurai
trust me there are flaws, this guy hasn't had no records of dyslexia in gcse, nor in his life somehow he is diagnosed in a-levels? Ok fair enough it can happen but why tell me he tricked the school? And i very regeretably overheard a convo this his mate were he was literally explaining the steps!:eek: , all i wanted was some people's opinion about this and is he lying! As he seems to really shove it in my face the past few days

Well my friend didn't tell her school she was diagnosed as dyslexic because she didn't want to be predujiced against as she was in her other school but regreted not having the extra time in her GCSE's especially in English and History so decided to tell college for her A-levels and not everybody knows she even has Dyslexia because she doesn't like people knowing some people with dyslexia need the time otherwise they wouldn't finish any exams do you think exam boards would set exams that nbo one could finish ....thats why so they can
obv its bad that hes been throwing it in your face its just a touchy subject with people as its very frustrating if you have it
Reply 38
I have extra time (plus laptop) for all exams, mainly because my handwriting is dire. For some reason I get extra time for maths also, when I really don't need it: I tend to walk out at standard time for these, feels unfair otherwise. Extra time in maths is extra thinking time, not extra writing time. But certainly for the sciences, Physics and Chemistry, having extra time to type up wordy questions is a relief.

While the tests they did (for time and handwriting) I genuinely got flagged up on, it has to be not too difficult to cheat on those. Still, there's a difference between writing deliberately badly and writing badly because of natural lack of speed/legibility.
well im dyslexic and i only took extra time once i found i didnt actually need it and passed :P
i think its kinda unfair for everyone else if i get extra time becoz yeh av got dyslexic and i dont understand wht a word says if i have neva seen it b4 and a cant do numbers wht so eva :L but its unfair for everyone else

Quick Reply

Latest