The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
licensedX
sense?....just throwing it out there but to go on Diazepam after that just seems, in my personal opinion,....to be psychologically/emotionally weak. Which is something I have no qualms about looking down upon, and make no apologies for. We live in a society today where too many people are coddled when they need, to put it bluntly, man the **** up.

i find that peeple who write stuff like this are the ones who ave got it easy in momma's armpit all their life.

they've never needed to test themselves at all, but get off on letting themselves believe that they are better than others by kidding themselves that they do more. thus they 'ave a reason for reading medicine - becos it makes them feel better than others, and they do love that feeling.
Wow you're a bitch. One of my friends ended up in a coma for four days and I stayed with her through all of that, another one had horrific internal injuries and they thought he was going to die, so excuse me for thinking that life was a bit sucky. Getting in a car after nearly dying was a bit scary for me, I apologise :rolleyes: I'd hate to have you as my doctor.
Reply 22
SuicidalLemming
Wow you're a bitch. One of my friends ended up in a coma for four days and I stayed with her through all of that, another one had horrific internal injuries and they thought he was going to die, so excuse me for thinking that life was a bit sucky. Getting in a car after nearly dying was a bit scary for me, I apologise :rolleyes: I'd hate to have you as my doctor.

I really do sympathize with your case, but I think a better approach would have been to contact the medicals school BEFORE your interview, and let them know of the extenuating circumstances you experienced. That way, they would be able to make a much more informed decision.

In my opinion, I don't really agree with the use of Diazepam before the interview to calm you down, I was petrified before my first interview - so much to the extent that hadn't slept 4 nights before it - but you really have to try and deal with it. I don't mean that in the 'man up' way which the previous poster suggested, I mean deal with it in the sense of learning to combat fears. As such, I feel much more ready for my upcoming interviews already knowing that I had overcome the nerves once before.
Reply 23
licensedX
But my point is, she hasn't been through a tough time! Certainly not tough enough to be put on prescription drugs - things could be a lot worse, in fact I'd say things are a lot worse for most people, so bleating about her traumatic experiences is neither wanted or indeed needed. If she cannot cope with this, how will she cope when she's standing in the middle of A&E on a saturday night, just graduated from med school, surrounded my various drunken injuries with 7 nurses asking her what they should do as she's the only medic available. The stress caused by this, and the knowledge that potentially you make the difference between life and death is surely x100 worse, so is she planning to self medicate for the next 40 years? I have plenty of compassion, but for people who deserve it.

How on Earth can you say that she hasn't been through a tough time? You have no idea how traumatic things may be in her life and you can't assume that it's nothing. As digitalis pointed out, it's similar to people who get car sick on car journeys.
Part of what medschool does is to prepare you for what you will experience as a doctor. I'm not doubting that being the only doctor in A&E is going to be absolutely terrifying, but you're going to be well trained before that happens. Different people cope in different ways, just because it's different to how you cope with stress doesn't mean it's the 'wrong' way.

SuicidalLemming

I don't want to preach to you, but I don't see the need to retaliate with hostility. I also think Andrew has a point to a certain extent.
Reply 24
licensedX
But my point is, she hasn't been through a tough time! Certainly not tough enough to be put on prescription drugs - things could be a lot worse, in fact I'd say things are a lot worse for most people, so bleating about her traumatic experiences is neither wanted or indeed needed. If she cannot cope with this, how will she cope when she's standing in the middle of A&E on a saturday night, just graduated from med school, surrounded my various drunken injuries with 7 nurses asking her what they should do as she's the only medic available. she will ask the nurses.

plus other staff.

in much the same way as she is asking colleagues now, only some of them are being tossers, which is far more stressful in the workplace, i can tell you that for nothing.
SuicidalLemming
Wow you're a bitch.

Is it a pedigree rotweiler or labrador? I ask because I have been looking to put my labrador-rotweiller onto something to produce some puppies. PM me with more info:biggrin:

p.s. dont misuse technical terms, seeing u next tuesday I find is far more explanative.
Single Malt
Is it a pedigree rotweiler or labrador? I ask because I have been looking to put my labrador-rotweiller onto something to produce some puppies. PM me with more info:biggrin:

p.s. dont misuse technical terms, seeing u next tuesday I find is far more explanative.

:rofl: That made me smile.

And _andrew_ yeah you're right tbh, I was fine without anything for the rest of my interviews though :o:

And Woody. Yeah I was being a bit of a bitch this morning and the hostility wasn't needed.. Sorry.
Wow, a lot of things have been said on this thread that if people look back on in 6 months they will regret. However, to add my two cents:

licensedX
The answer to everything does not lie in a pill.

No. It lies in a fortune cookie.
SuicidalLemming
:rofl: That made me smile.

And _andrew_ yeah you're right tbh, I was fine without anything for the rest of my interviews though :o:

And Woody. Yeah I was being a bit of a bitch this morning and the hostility wasn't needed.. Sorry.

So thats a no? Damn, I really am genuinely needing to find myself a bitch, and equally I need to find my dog a mate so I can carry on it lineage, its the offspring of two generations of dogs which have been in my family.
Reply 29
digitalis
:lolwut:

You can't generalise people's emotions and reactions. Everyone copes differently to different circumstances. If you do generalise, you run the risk of prejudice, i.e. what YOU consider to be serious and ignoring what is important to a patient (exactly what is happening here). She finds it important, to the extent that she feels she cannot cope. Also diazepam isn't that fun, you get a nasty hangover effect with it. Some people get palpitations when they go on stage. Is it wrong they get prescribed beta blockers? Some people get carsick, to the extent that they cannot visit their grandparents over christmas. Is it wrong they get prescribed cyclizine?

And saying all about medics/students? Have you any idea how many medics suffer from mental illness? Drug abuse and alcoholism is sky high! Noone is immune from stress. If you want a biochemical model, look at the pain gate theory. That is why some people cry like a baby with a cannula whereas some people can withstand the most tremendous pain without analgesia.

Well said.

I think the person complaining is just pretty ignorant. Wait for three years until they're in the middle of their medical degree and have realised just how much stress they & their friends are under, just how many of their friends have been depressed - some of which (even the user themselves) may be on anti-depressants. Ignore it suicidal lemming, it's just igorance.
Reply 30
lekky
Well said.

I think the person complaining is just pretty ignorant. Wait for three years until they're in the middle of their medical degree and have realised just how much stress they & their friends are under, just how many of their friends have been depressed - some of which (even the user themselves) may be on anti-depressants.
aye, or even worse, they wont be on them, lackey. they'll be self destructing instead wiffout the necessary treatment, on alcohol for instance.

Ignore it suicidal lemming, it's just igorance.

ignore the ignorance, macca, is true.

Latest

Trending

Trending