Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

unpaid placement and job seekers allowance

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya could someone please help.

when applying for a loan and grant for the past 2 years ive been entitled to roughly 3k loan and 2k grant over the whole year. Now i am supposed to be on my placement year and ive been offered a short term placement for the next 6 months, only problem being its unpaid. Im just wondering if my loan or grant would be reduced as its a placement. Im just weighing up if i can actually afford to take it. If any one has any advice or previous experiance could they please get back to me and also if i take it would i be entitled to job seekers allowance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you won't be entitled to JSA, you're at university on a placement!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruane89)
    Hiya could someone please help.

when applying for a loan and grant for the past 2 years ive been entitled to roughly 3k loan and 2k grant over the whole year. Now i am supposed to be on my placement year and ive been offered a short term placement for the next 6 months, only problem being its unpaid. Im just wondering if my loan or grant would be reduced as its a placement. Im just weighing up if i can actually afford to take it. If any one has any advice or previous experiance could they please get back to me and also if i take it would i be entitled to job seekers allowance?
    I'd check the legalities of it first, as you are over the age of 18 you should be entitled to minimum wage. I'll try and find the case studies I have recently read.

edit: can't find it after a quick search, was on a notice board at uni. If it's not got a large profile on the web then I must be wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    if its part of your university course then I don't see any reason why your loan or grant would be any less.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    I'd check the legalities of it first, as you are over the age of 18 you should be entitled to minimum wage. I'll try and find the case studies I have recently read.

edit: can't find it after a quick search, was on a notice board at uni. If it's not got a large profile on the web then I must be wrong.
    Paid for what?
    At Channel 5 you pay over a grand for a work placement!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    You won't be entitled to JSA. You're still a student.

And yep, a lot of placements are unpaid. You're generally given 50% loans though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe you'd have to pay to work for someone else. Most of my mates who did placement years/months were paid at least minimum wage + relocation bonus (apart from those on teacher training courses, but they still got full loan).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The reason you do not get JSA or full loans and grants while on a placement is to stop employers taking advantage of students

If you get an unpaid placement you will have to find another way to support yourself (or get a paid placement)

Certain unpaid placements will get full loans and grants but these are generally working in a hospital, prison, local authority etc in the UK or a voluntary organisation carrying out similar work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ASCIIcipher < got it in one

It depends on what company you are doing your placement at. if its public sector/voluntary organization you will get full loan BUT if its a private company you will get about half of what you got in year 1 and 2.

I am on placement as well getting paid but I dont even use the money, my friend is working in the nhs for her placement and she got a full student loan.

But remember its the work experience at the end of the day !!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 19, 2010
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.