The Student Room Group

Struggle with German

My word order goes awry A LOT.
I just need to know if Im getting these two questions correct below, because I feel there's a lot of rules needed to be applied which I can't do

Make questions out of these:

1. wann genau der Urlaub stattfinden sollte

2. wie der Vater/die Mutter hinfahren wird

The questions need to be asked to a mates Mum and Dad

This is what I've done but I think I'm totally totally wrong:

1. Wann sollen Sie genau der Urlaub stattfinden?

2. Wie werden Sie hinfahren?
Reply 1
Superstar6318
I just need to know if Im getting these two questions correct below, because I feel there's a lot of rules needed to be applied which I can't do

1. Wann solltest du genau der Urlaub stattfinden?

2. Wie wirst du hinfahren?

Why are you trying to change the subjects?:confused: If you're supposed to turn those into questions, all you need to do is change the word order accordingly.
Reply 2
Superstar6318

The questions need to be asked to a mates Mum and Dad

1. Wann sollen Sie genau der Urlaub stattfinden?

2. Wie werden Sie hinfahren?

Okay, so hobnob said don't change the subject, so you changed it from "du" to "Sie"?! Currently, the subject of the first sentence is "der Urlaub" and the second is "der Vater/die Mutter". The verbs are all conjugated correctly already, you literally just need to put the verbs that are at the end (presumably from relative clauses or something) into the correct place so that the verb is inverted. You're really over-complicating the matter.
Bezzler
Okay, so hobnob said don't change the subject, so you changed it from "du" to "Sie"?! Currently, the subject of the first sentence is "der Urlaub" and the second is "der Vater/die Mutter". The verbs are all conjugated correctly already, you literally just need to put the verbs that are at the end (presumably from relative clauses or something) into the correct place so that the verb is inverted. You're really over-complicating the matter.

Hahah oops I suppose the thing I needed to say was that Im meant to be talking to someones parents. I suppose i would need to change it to Sie right???
Reply 4
Superstar6318
Hahah oops I suppose the thing I needed to say was that Im meant to be talking to someones parents. I suppose i would need to change it to Sie right???

I would leave it at Sie unless you've specifically been told you can use Du.
Reply 5
Superstar6318

For the second sentence, yes. The subject of the first sentence should still be 'der Urlaub', though.