The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Computing Industrial Placements

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if any MEng Imperial computing students would be kind enough to do me a favour - I'm interested in what kind of industrial placements Imperial offers to undergrad computing students. I've found an earlier thread in this forum with details on the placements for 2006 and 2007 but I am unable to post in there for some reason.

I'm hoping to be able to look at the placement opportunities Imperial has for 2008 and 2009 if possible. (I'm not even sure if this year's selection is up yet. :confused: ) The placement website is at (for your convenience):

https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/internal/industrialplacements/index.htm

but specifically, I would like to look at the following 2 links from that page:

https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/internal/industrialplacements/students/2008.htm
https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/internal/industrialplacements/students/2009.htm

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could PM or post the contents of those pages here.

Thank you so much in advance for your kind assistance! :smile:
Reply 1
krazedout
I'm interested in what kind of industrial placements Imperial offers to undergrad computing students.

There's a problem with that sentence. You are not offered any placement by Imperial (unless you fail to find one, but we're told that hasn't happened in 20 years), you have to look for one yourself.

For the Computing MEng course, the industrial placement is a compulsory part of the course and you have to find computer related work for 6 months. It is your responsibility to make sure you find one, college will not do this for you. DoC may help you to improve your CV, give you interview practice and other helpful advice, but they will not be actively finding you a job.

This makes the content of the links not very important, since where you end up going just depends on where you want to apply to. To give you an idea, here are some destinations:

Amadeus
Amazon.com
ARM Ltd
Barclays Capital
Betfair
Citi
Credit Suisse
Deutsche Bank
Digital Vision
ETAS Ltd
Eurotherm
Factset Europe Ltd
Formicary
Framestore
Goldman Sachs
Google
Greycon
IBM
Imperial College London
Introversion
KBC Financial Products
Lionhead Studios
Lshift Ltd
Maxeler Technologies
MetaPack
MIK
Morgan Stanley
my-Channels
Netcraft
NewVoiceMedia
NHS Hammersmith & Fulham
Orange Labs
Philips
Pixel Addicts Ltd
Pricewaterhouse Coopers
QuinStreet
Schlumberger
Starview Technology
Symbian Software Ltd
Teamphone Ltd
Thales
UBS
Vodafone Group R&D
Xerox XRCE
youDevise

You can apply to any company on and not on this list, as long as the work you're doing is somehow related to your computing degree.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Ahh, I didn't realize that. Thanks a lot, I stand corrected then. :smile:
Reply 3
It helps if you get a summer internship in your 2nd year too. Looks good on your CV.

Looking at the link you posted, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, UBS and Deutsche Bank dominate every list, with it seems at least 70% going to one of those four.
Reply 4
sunspoon
Looking at the link you posted, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, UBS and Deutsche Bank dominate every list.

Except from my list :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending