Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chemistry AS Evaluative Practical F323

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, we've been given an evaluative task on the preperation of a ketone which happens to be propan-2-one. So i'm assuming, as this is a written paper, so what do you think would come up?

Would I just have to explainthe process of making propan-2-one from an alchol.. ie. a secondary alchol such as propan-2-ol .. and you just heat with Pottasium Dichromate, and reflux, and the Pottasium Dichromate is reduced and changes colour from orange to green.

To determine further, whether its an Aldehyde or a Ketone, I could use 2,4 DNP (Bradley's Reagent) and an Orange precipitate would form.. Then to test whether it is an Aldehyde or a Ketone, I could use Tollen's Reagent. With an Aldehyde, this would just oxidise to a Carboxylic Acid and a silver mirror would appear on this side of a test tube; Ketones are not oxidised by this Reagent.

Alternatively, to determine if it is a Ketone, you could prepare a Crystaline Derivative using the Orange precipitate formed from the 2,4 DNP by filtering the impure product, and recrystillising it to produce a pure sample of yellow/orange crystals of the 2,4 DNP derivative. You can then test it's melting point, and compare the result with a database of the melting points of aldehydes and ketones..

What else would I need to know for this test, other than Mole calculations, and how to test for the presence of a Ketone?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, so no one else doing this tommorow?? I see....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz Shah)
    Right, we've been given an evaluative task on the preperation of a ketone which happens to be propan-2-one. So i'm assuming, as this is a written paper, so what do you think would come up?

Would I just have to explainthe process of making propan-2-one from an alchol.. ie. a secondary alchol such as propan-2-ol .. and you just heat with Pottasium Dichromate, and reflux, and the Pottasium Dichromate is reduced and changes colour from orange to green.

To determine further, whether its an Aldehyde or a Ketone, I could use 2,4 DNP (Bradley's Reagent) and an Orange precipitate would form.. Then to test whether it is an Aldehyde or a Ketone, I could use Tollen's Reagent. With an Aldehyde, this would just oxidise to a Carboxylic Acid and a silver mirror would appear on this side of a test tube; Ketones are not oxidised by this Reagent.

Alternatively, to determine if it is a Ketone, you could prepare a Crystaline Derivative using the Orange precipitate formed from the 2,4 DNP by filtering the impure product, and recrystillising it to produce a pure sample of yellow/orange crystals of the 2,4 DNP derivative. You can then test it's melting point, and compare the result with a database of the melting points of aldehydes and ketones..

What else would I need to know for this test, other than Mole calculations, and how to test for the presence of a Ketone?

how did you find the evaluative task? doi need to know expt errors? help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SHAI*STAR*)
    how did you find the evaluative task? doi need to know expt errors? help?
    Ha! I got worried about the error percentage, because we were forced to do that last year..! but in this one, i don't think so But its better to learn how significant figures work etc..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey, i have this practical on thursday and really need a good grade :/ could you like tell me what is definitely going to come up so i fully cover the topic, because im terrible at practicals.. thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 27, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.