The Student Room Group

How is Chemistry?

Okay I can't decide what a-levels to do. So far I'm definite on doing Maths and Physics. I'm thinking Latin, but only if I get a good GCSE grade, and I'm considering Chemistry. My mum said that my auntie (who is a criminal psychologist) said that if I take Maths, Physics and Chemistry then the world is my oyster. Basically, how do you find Chemistry and what grade did you get at GCSE?
Got A* at GCSE and found the first year OK, got an A at As, had to work though, no dossing like at school, but A2 was realy hard, we had a new teacher who new nothing, and I managed an U in 2 modules, getting a B overall, which is good for an Alevel chem really.
If you get an A/A* at Gcse you will be able to cope and will probs get a B/A/A* at Alevel.
I got a solid 'A' grade at GCSE but seem to be struggling immensely at A-level.
I find it very, very hard and unless you really need it or are naturally good at it - I wouldn't recommend it.
I think it's because there's such a lot to remember for each module and the exam requires you to apply your knowledge rather than just reel off textbook answers.
It's boring. But it's a very useful subject, as it opens you up for a lot of course choices for uni.
Reply 4
I got an A* at GCSE but at A-levels i find it very hard. My overall AS grade was a C, but i completely flopped Unit 2. It is a very hard suject though.
Reply 5
It's incredibly hard.
Reply 6
I don't find it too hard really. But you do need to work a bit to do well, you can't just do nothing the whole year and expect to do well. :p:
I've found chemistry to be quite easy but be prepared to do ALOT of studying and background reading to understand things thoroughly.
Based on my experience of spanish and AS french I'd also say that it is much harder to get an A in languages that in science but maybe latin is different.
Reply 8
I'm doing chem at AS and I find it hard. My exam last week didn't go too well..
Reply 9
Do it, it rules :biggrin:, and those are my subjects :woo:
Reply 10
I do chemistry and I think it's quite easy, some of it is a bit boring but I like most of it, probably depends on exam board and teacher though... I don't really think anyone in my class that struggles with it that much.