The Student Room Group

University and AS Help!

Just need to clarify:

Universties look at the applicants AS Grades?

I am trying to drop Spanish AS because:

I dont enjoy it
I find it very difficult
I am getting UCs all the time
I feel upset by it and my other subjects (Bio, Chem and Physics) are suffering
My sciences are very demanding and I need to focus on them
I am clear in my future - Zoology

My Head of Year is ademant I dont drop even though he knows I have through long and hard about this and am doing the best for my future. He says I have to do 4 because 3 will put my at a huge disadvantage (even if I get better science grades due to dropping) and that universities will look at my AS grades and give me a conditional offer bases on them.

I know that four is better - however at the rate I am going I am going to get -A in Bio, C in Chem, E/D in Physics and U in Spanish

Surely 3 better grades - hopefully - AAB, ABB, ACC or ABC would be better than ACDU?
He's right that you'll be at a disadvantage with three AS levels, but then you'll probably be at an even bigger disadvantage with grades ACD. Could you keep doing Spanish, but keep the amount of work you do on it down so that it doesn't affect the other subjects?
its your choice.... if you are finding it affects your other subject so much then drop it.... if you get 3 good ASs then it shouldnt affect your application.
Reply 3
I could still do spanish but I feel it makes me anxious, emotional and really distracted at it like a little irritating bug at the back of my mind and I hate doing the miniumum work.

I know 4 is better than 3 in terms of AS Levels. However, I am so clear in my future and want to do Zoology so badly and I will not get decent grades in the sciences if I continue with Spanish.
Reply 4
How about you "carry on" but effectively give up on it? Go to lessons, but don't do any outside work - just concentrate on your sciences.
FrancesO
How about you "carry on" but effectively give up on it? Go to lessons, but don't do any outside work - just concentrate on your sciences.

because surely its better to drop it and save time than to waste time in lessons and end up with a U?
Reply 6
I hate just 'cruising'. I dont want a bad relationsip with my teacher and the school, and our teacher puts pressure on us with the exam and I want to be out of them subject. It is a complete waste of my time.
Reply 7
victoria13
because surely its better to drop it and save time than to waste time in lessons and end up with a U?

S/he says they're going to get a U anyway, and trying to do better is bringing down the other subjects. If they're not allowed to drop it, I think this would be better than trying and getting low grades in the important subjects because of it.
FrancesO
S/he says they're going to get a U anyway, and trying to do better is bringing down the other subjects. If they're not allowed to drop it, I think this would be better than trying and getting low grades in the important subjects because of it.

ok i agree with that... but surely the school cant stop them dropping it if they really want too....OP?
Reply 9
victoria13
ok i agree with that... but surely the school cant stop them dropping it if they really want too....OP?

It's sounds like she's in a sixth form, I think they're a lot more strict about that kind of thing than colleges?
My mother rang: Cardiff, Bangor and Aberystwyth, all are universities I am planning on applying for.

All 3 Universities Admission Tutors said that the fourth AS was not looked at, that my sciences are perfect and they think it is silly of the school to be forcing me if it is bringing me down.

What they are interested in are the sciences.

But my Head of Year thought differently...
I am in a sixth form. Beginning to wish I had never chosen to come :frown:
starsandpearls
I am in a sixth form. Beginning to wish I had never chosen to come :frown:

just drop it seriously... tell the head of year its your life and its your decision.

Latest