Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

40% pass mark?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, quick question.

I'm in my first year and I was wondering something as regards pass mark. For example if I had a maths module with 3 exams and it says I needed 40% to pass the module.

test 1 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
    test 2 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
    test 3 - Counts towards 60% of the final mark

For example if I got full marks in the first 2 tests (40%) and got 0% in the final exam would It still count as a module pass? Or do I have to get 40% in each test?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the el rapido response, appreciated
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybobbob)
    Hi, quick question.

I'm in my first year and I was wondering something as regards pass mark. For example if I had a maths module with 3 exams and it says I needed 40% to pass the module.

test 1 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
    test 2 - Counts towards 20% of the final mark
    test 3 - Counts towards 60% of the final mark

For example if I got full marks in the first 2 tests (40%) and got 0% in the final exam would It still count as a module pass? Or do I have to get 40% in each test?

Thanks
    No you may still have to get 40% in ALL tests to pass - that's how it is in my uni. It might be better to ask the people who actually deal with your subject exams in uni rather than strangers on the internet about something as important as your exams...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your University, some (like Sheffield) require you to get at least 30% in each test and get an overall mark of 40%.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's completely university dependant. Some universities (and even more specifically, some modules) want 40% over the year, some want 40% on each module and some want 40% on each peice of work you do. My universities policy is the last one, but in the first year they don't enforce it and simply want us to get 40% on each module to progress.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    We had to get 40 % on each exam as well as 40 % overall.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not even university dependent - it's often a departmental thing. I've taken courses at Edinburgh that require 40% overall and nothing else, courses that require 40% in all assessed elements, and courses that have required a higher mark still.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    40% is a pass but its known as ''the drinkers degree'' dont think anyone should be aiming for that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    40% is a pass but its known as ''the drinkers degree'' dont think anyone should be aiming for that
    haha nice term...

but yea, from what i remember the overall passrate from year 1 to year 2 was to get 40%+ in every module (not sure about exams) they allowed people with 30%-40% but only with special consideration/resit in summer
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought 35% was a pass, but for you got an ordinary degree, not hons.

40% is a 3rd, not a pass.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok so 40% is an e grade which is a pass they work out the average of the three modules (add all ur marks up and divide by three) so if you got 40+0=40/2=20 so ud have overall 20 which isnt a pass im afraid :/
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're aiming for 40% then perhaps university isn't for you.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, it depends?

In Coventry, you have to get 35% per component (e.g. a test or a piece of coursework) with at least 40% overall per module.

Where are you at Uni?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends, I need at least 40% in each component of the module whereas some of my friends on other courses need 40% overall.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihaterealitytvshows)
    ok so 40% is an e grade which is a pass they work out the average of the three modules (add all ur marks up and divide by three) so if you got 40+0=40/2=20 so ud have overall 20 which isnt a pass im afraid :/
    You really haven't understood the OP's question have you ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    If you're aiming for 40% then perhaps university isn't for you.
    Don't be so quick to judge. I fall under special circumstances as much as I hate to be.

Also I don't drink.
    • 5 followers

As others have said, it completely depends on the university, and within that- often the department, too. I believe that, for a number of our exams, the "pass" mark (i.e. that which won't require you to sit any additional penal exams) is 60%.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a silly question, because you're not going to get 100% in two exams and 0% in one. I can guarantee that.

Just aim to do your best. Anyone who puts the tiniest bit of effort into their degree will get at least 40%, surely.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for one unit i had two pieces of work worth 50% each
    the first bit the group mark i got 54%(worth 50%)
    and the oral exam(i got 36%)(worth 50%)

have i passed that unit

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2010
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.