The Student Room Group

cheap/simple fancy dress ideas?

I am going out for a friends birthday next week and it is fancy dress with no specific theme..

I think that this makes it harder to think of something good, so need help with ideas please!

I want it to be fairly cheap though and simple because its next week

The best responses from this thread :smile:

For hallowe'en I found an old wedding dress in a charity shop for £10, spent £5 on a selection of coloured face paints on ebay et voila, corpse bride, bride of dracula, zombie bride, whatever. I used the face paints to make the dress look dirty & bloody too.

needed a cheap costume like this once- so I went as a tellytubby! It was simple- red jumper, red trousers. Then I pinned a silver sheet of card to the jumper, bought a red alice band and red pipe cleaner and made an ariel. Voila, tellytubby!

last halloween i went as a mime - really easy, just black shorts, braces, stripy top, painted face and a black hat and white gloves...

Other useful threads:

More fancy dress help!
Candy-themed fancy dress
Poll: Most attractive fancy dress for men
Pirate themed fancy dress ideas

Make a new thread in fashion here to get more ideas!
(edited 9 years ago)
Crunchie7
I am going out for a friends birthday next week and it is fancy dress with no specific theme..

I think that this makes it harder to think of something good, so need help with ideas please!

I want it to be fairly cheap though and simple because its next week

Animals are always good, my boyfriend and I dressed as mice for an animal themed party. We just got some cheap ears from a fancy dress shop, I did our face makeup and then we wore grey.

You could do a character, are you male or female?

There are loads of cheap fancy dress shops around, now. You can get lots of accessories, that way you don't have to buy a whole outfit.

You could be a policeman/woman, a vampire, a greek is always pretty easy (if you're confident having a bit of flesh on show) just get a white sheet and wrap it round you and wear sandals.

Are there any of your mates going? You could do a duo like Sherlock Holmes and Watson...

Hope this helps a little :yes:
Reply 2
Might not be appropriate as it's more hallowe'eny but you did say not a themed party. For hallowe'en I found an old wedding dress in a charity shop for £10, spent £5 on a selection of coloured face paints on ebay et voila, corpse bride, bride of dracula, zombie bride, whatever. I used the face paints to make the dress look dirty & bloody too.

Hmmm, tried to insert a picture but it's not working :frown:
Naked Man from How I Met Your Mother- can't get much cheaper.
Reply 4
I needed a cheap costume like this once- so I went as a tellytubby! It was simple- red jumper or long sleeved top if you think it might get hot (of course yellow, green or purple would do equally well), red trousers (I used my little brothers pyjama trousers leggings would work just as well but I don't have the thighs to wear leggings with nothing over!) Then I pinned a silver sheet of card to the jumper, bought a red alice band and red pipe cleaner and made an ariel. Voila, tellytubby! The only thing left was footwear- I wore fluffy moonboots for a kind of cuddly toy effect but really you could wear any shoes!
last halloween i went as a mime - really easy, just black shorts, braces, stripy top, painted face and a black hat and white gloves...
Reply 6
A disney character
A fairy/angel
A decade (eg 70s, with flares, platform shoes, flower top, etc)
A caveman/girl
Father Christmas
A Smurf (my friend had a smurf party and just wore a white dress, a white hat, and had blue face paint all over her body)
A pink lady/T bird (from Grease - would be good if there was a group of you)
A witch/wizard
Some food stuff (like a hot dog or something)
Pirate
Doctor/Nurse
Geek

As a previous post said, you could team up with someone else, or as a group (the Village people would be a good one lol)
The Spice Girls (pretty easy, as they all wore 'unique' clothing) - or another pop group
Fairy Tale Characters (Goldilocks and the Three Bears, etc)
Harlem Globetrotters
Oompa Loompas
sugarjunkie001

I am actually very fond of this idea :smile:
I am actually very fond of this idea

thanks!! it was an awesome costume, especially the makeup, if you use black eyeliner as lipstick its AMAZING. and make your mouth all small and puckered, if you know what i mean...like this: http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/29819917/Lady+GaGa+Paparazzi+52.png
Reply 9
www.youtube.com/michellephan

She did so many looks for halloween, plenty to choose from!

:yep:
Stripey T-shirt, jeans, make an eye patch out of some old material = easy pirate costume! :parrot:
If you want to buy the cheap and fancy clothes then you must buy it from the website everything5pound which is a great site for purchasing the nice clothes in very cheap price.
You get the fashionable clothes in very cheap price that is only 5 pounds.

Quick Reply

Latest