The Student Room Group

Psychology A level?

Poll

Psychology A level

I've been asking a few people about psychology A level lately, and half the people say it's really interesting while others say it's depressing and dull.
I know It's about how i'm gonna find it not other people but I thought it'd make a poll to decide once and for all:P

Scroll to see replies

I find it really interesting mostly. My favourite parts are abnormal and developmental of AS. There are slightly boring bits like research methods but generally it's really interesting :biggrin:
Only do it if you have an amazing memory. The theories aren't hard to understand, but remembering everything is.
Reply 3
Psychology is really interesting and its not the sorta **** your never gonna need, its actually useful knowledge for the future.
Reply 4
I agree, i find it a really interesting subject, but after resitting my PSYA2 psychology exam this morning, im not looking hopeful at passing the entire course. Great subject, you just need the memory and writing technique.
I love psychology!
Its just so interesting to learn about the different theories and such :smile:
Reply 6
The content is pretty interesting but theres just so much of it. It's OK but if I could go back two years, I'd probably choose something different.
If you want a subject with real-world application, then I wouldn't pick Psychology. That said, some parts of it are very interesting, and if you have even an average-quality memory then it's a rather easy subject too.
It's alright.
Reply 9
In edexcel the whole first year is great, second year starts off great but unit 4 - the last unit - is dire (except for the abnormality section, I'm referring to the Issues and Debates section)! So much to learn for the 2 years, but it's really interesting stuff. Also, you'll learn to realise that there is Psychology in EVERYTHING, literally.
It's really interesting, but if you do it, make sure you concentrate properly and keep up right from the start :p:
Reply 11
I really enjoyed it. I found it easy and don't have a particularly good memory.

Definitely my favourite subject out of all I've studied.
First year (AS) is really interesting - with all the case studies and such - theres alot but quite easy 2 remember. A2 - i find a bit boring and much harder with sleep ryhtms, intelligence and cognitive - but i'm doing AQA A so it probably differs to other boards.
It's intresting and useful!If you find a way how you approach and understand it you'll find it quit easy. Out of the subjects I'm doing at the moment, Psychology, Biology and History as well as EPQ in Psychology, its the easiest and most fascinating one. The only thing is research method but if you'll learn it off by heart and know how to apply it you'll have no trouble!
It has really ruined Psychology in general for me :frown:
Just read about it yourself, it'll be way more interesting, don't put yourself through two years of memorising mark schemes. Everytime I hear "AO1s" or "AO2s" I want to kill a kitten.
I like pyschology wish I could have done that. Seems interesting(y)
I would have chosen a different subject if I could go back to year 11, so boring .. some of the content is good, like forensics but then you have to study the psychology of education which is so dull ..
I really enjoy it, it's something completely different to what I've done before and am finding it's not too difficult either
Reply 18
Doing the AS year currently and I'm not enjoying it. Learning names, dates and statistics is irrelevant to me, and I don't like studying the bland topics they've set. I'd rather learn about the mind of a serial killer, not the findings of a baby being left in a room with a ******* stranger :p:

That being said, it's introductory, so the good stuff doesn't come until degree level. Depends on whether you plan on studying it further really.
Reply 19
I wanted to do it when I was in year 11- then all the stupid fake tanned girls wanting to work in criminal psychology hopped on the bandwagon. Need I say more.

Latest