The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

emilaah
Okay im totally panicking
i have totally screwed up
im predicted AAA* next year (A* in history) and ive applied for history at uni
been rejected from three so far (ox, dur and edin)
waiting for warwick (to reject me)
and ive got an interview for soton, so i dont even know if i will get in?

is there ANYONE who has literally NO offers??
or one offer but its the one you least wanted?
does anyone have any advice regarding extra and clearing?
heeeeelllp!:eek:

Hi m'dear,
despair not!! Im here to offer some encouragement (hoepfully it will work but its a long shot). About three years ago i was in a similar position as you (just not an oxbridge applicant). I took a gap year, well three years because i had suc an amazing time. So i got an internship first at BBC News, then at BBC world service. Then i got a chance to work on the Culture Show. Worked on a BBC TV drama, worked on prominent music videos. Then i got an apprenticeship working at the Young Vic Theatre as a Costume Assistant and Supervised a few shows, great money too...and now im working full time at the National Gallery London. So what I am trying to say is, if this year doesnt work out for you, though i believe Warwrick is a great uni, theres always the next. To build up your skills, meet some fantastic people, build up a post uni job profile (either way when you graduate you will need to look for a job so why not get a head start) and improve your odd s of getting in next year (if you wanted to). Long story short, a few gap years later i have a fantastic job and potentially an offer for History of Art at UCL....

Pick thy self up, keep your joy and keep moving.
metalexi
Referee will be your head of year or head teacher. I had to request feedback then a form was sent to my head and I signed and sent back (this was for camb.) Other unis make you wait till they're over with admissions then you can request it.
I'd go talk to your head of year or head teacher either way and ask if they have heard anything, if not then email oxford as request feedback form or whatever it is to be sent out.

I don't think it'd be very helpful to e-mail Oxford, I never applied there. :p:

But thank you. I'll do that. :smile:
Reply 42
MarinaM
I don't think it'd be very helpful to e-mail Oxford, I never applied there. :p:

But thank you. I'll do that. :smile:

Brain malfunction. :smile:

You've got 4 offers! You don't need comforting!:P
metalexi
Brain malfunction. :smile:

You've got 4 offers! You don't need comforting!:P

Correction: I have THREE offers. :p:

I know, it's an impressive achievement, and they're all for highly-rated institutions, but I've been attracted by Cambridge since I was 13 or so - I want to believe that dream was crushed by lack of space, not my own failure!
Reply 44
CupcakesandSprinkles
Hi m'dear,
despair not!! Im here to offer some encouragement (hoepfully it will work but its a long shot). About three years ago i was in a similar position as you (just not an oxbridge applicant). I took a gap year, well three years because i had suc an amazing time. So i got an internship first at BBC News, then at BBC world service. Then i got a chance to work on the Culture Show. Worked on a BBC TV drama, worked on prominent music videos. Then i got an apprenticeship working at the Young Vic Theatre as a Costume Assistant and Supervised a few shows, great money too...and now im working full time at the National Gallery London. So what I am trying to say is, if this year doesnt work out for you, though i believe Warwrick is a great uni, theres always the next. To build up your skills, meet some fantastic people, build up a post uni job profile (either way when you graduate you will need to look for a job so why not get a head start) and improve your odd s of getting in next year (if you wanted to). Long story short, a few gap years later i have a fantastic job and potentially an offer for History of Art at UCL....

Pick thy self up, keep your joy and keep moving.

you work at the national gallery?! jesus christ. that is like an actual dream. wow. okay. seeing the appeal of a gap year right there!
Reply 45
Max Hinks
I just checked for Durham, no reject, but still in Department, not college. No i've heard nothing from Warwick, got a friend who has also applied to them and she hasn't heard either. If they rejected someone the other day, the fact that you haven't been can only be good, yeah? Sorry to hear about Durham though. Also, isn't Warwick AAB at A level? Not quite sure, i'm IB, so it's different.

well good luck with durham, what college have you applied to?

yeah warwick is AABc but apparently theyre looking for a much higher standard :frown:
xSkyFire
What's wrong with UCL :frown: ?

"Application unsucessful" :frown::
emilaah
well good luck with durham, what college have you applied to?

yeah warwick is AABc but apparently theyre looking for a much higher standard :frown:

Yeah, well i'm not suprised, apparently after UCL, and the other top London Uni's, it's classed as the 2nd best University for Graduate Recruitent, plus it has an amazing course.

Collingwood, couldn't be dealing with all the over formal stuff, one of the reasons I stayed away from Oxbridge, plus it has great sporting facilities :smile: and Thanks :smile:

Where are you yet to hear from, other than Warwick?
emilaah
you work at the national gallery?! jesus christ. that is like an actual dream. wow. okay. seeing the appeal of a gap year right there!

Indeed I do! Do you want to work in galleries and museums? in terms of the gap year see what offers you get and the make your decision but your uni dream is not over till the fat lady sings lol
Reply 49
emilaah
do you think its possible for me to go to a good uni on Extra if i'm applying for such a competitive course?
thanks so much for the advice, i'm beginning to feel better already:smile:
Yes - unless things are very very different this year. Unis like Birmingham, Lancaster, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, and Leicester have all been in Extra in previous years. The chances are they will be again. These are good unis with excellent history courses. :smile:
Reply 50
no where, just gotta see what soton say after the interview (which is 2 weeks today)
if they offer me a place i think ill be really happy to go there if im honest, i dont know if i could deal with rejections in Extra after rejecting a really good university

and YES! working in a museum would be immense! have to see if i can get some work exp at some point
national gallery though, that is literally my favourite place in london :smile:
emilaah
no where, just gotta see what soton say after the interview (which is 2 weeks today)
if they offer me a place i think ill be really happy to go there if im honest, i dont know if i could deal with rejections in Extra after rejecting a really good university

and YES! working in a museum would be immense! have to see if i can get some work exp at some point
national gallery though, that is literally my favourite place in london :smile:

Well good luck and keep us all posted on the result of the interview.

In the summer (well in April) start applying for volunteering or internships at Museums and galleries. The bigger galleries have waiting lists as long as the wall of China but the smaller museums have plesnty opportunities for you to gain a diverse set of skills.
Reply 52
emilaah
umm i heard from durham yesterday, its what caused the panic :P have you been deferred to a college?

yeah i was thinking maybe doing something at a law firm, you know, to maybe boost prospects post-degree a little bit more.

do you know if anyone has heard from warwick for history? i think ive seen one person on here. my friend got rejected the other day with ABBd, dont know what his predictions were though
eeeep!

PS. loving the david cameron banner

Two of us at school heard in November, both offers are AAB.
emilaah
umm i heard from durham yesterday, its what caused the panic :P have you been deferred to a college?

yeah i was thinking maybe doing something at a law firm, you know, to maybe boost prospects post-degree a little bit more.

do you know if anyone has heard from warwick for history? i think ive seen one person on here. my friend got rejected the other day with ABBd, dont know what his predictions were though
eeeep!

PS. loving the david cameron banner

just had my rejection from warwick for history. aabc at as and predicted a*aa, that was last week. havent heard about anybody else yet.
Reply 54
There are loads of people applying for university this year, as well as all the people who didn't get in last year, it must be even worse than it was the last time round. It's not your fault, and I am sure you will be ok =]. Some universities wait until like April for giving out offers/rejections sometimes, so don't give up hope on Warwick, I know some universities like that wait until after the deadline to even start considering offers. If you weren't rejected already, this is a good sign =].

I also think unis are a bit dubious about the new A* ect, which doesn't help. If you don't get anywhere you want to go this year, at least you will have your results and know where you can apply to.
emilaah
do you think its possible for me to go to a good uni on Extra if i'm applying for such a competitive course?
thanks so much for the advice, i'm beginning to feel better already:smile:

I havent reado teh end of this thread but Im going to respond anyway!
I got into Durham to read Combined Honours in Arts which is arguably their most competative course. AAA obvioulsy (this was last year so no A*) and only 90 places.

I got on to this course through Extra. This is just to reassure that it is possible to go to the university of your dreams through extra. i actually got offers from other really good unis like cambridge and bristol and usl and lse, b ut i knew that durham was teh place i wanted to be, so i turned down everything to apply through extra and it totally paid off

good luck with whatever you decide to do. x
Reply 56
flyinscotsman
just had my rejection from warwick for history. aabc at as and predicted a*aa, that was last week. havent heard about anybody else yet.

oh no :frown: did you really want to go? where else are you looking at? im sure youll end up having a better time at the uni you go to in the end anyway :smile:

interview was ummm... well it was an interview, so not pleasant lol

Latest

Trending

Trending